Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Coolant Connecting Pipe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MN_Bill is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant Connecting Pipe Removal

Hello:
This is a great website. I tried searching the forum, but did not see a specific answer to my question. Sorry if I missed it.

My cousin has a 2005 Civic EX Special Edition. This has the 1.7L, non-VTEC, D17A1 engine and has 236,XXX miles. It is leaking coolant from the rear of the engine, from what I believe is from the coolant connecting pipe that is attached to the water pump. The exact source is not visible since the intake manifold obstructs the view.

I pressure tested the cooling system and it will leak with just a few psi. So I believe it is from corrosion of the connecting pipe that has created an opening to leak. It is not from the nipples or hoses off the pipe.

I have never owned a Civic, though various Hondas have been in the family for many decades. I am hoping you can offer some advice on if I can remove the connecting pipe and then re-install it, or a replacement, without removing the intake manifold. It may be difficult to get the connection at the water pump end, but is it possible? I would like to avoid removing the intake manifold. The car seems to run fine, with exception of this coolant leak.

If I need to replace the connecting pipe, are the aftermarket ones reliable? I will install a new Honda o-ring. I will likely need to replace the small section of hose that connects the two pipes.

If the leak is not from the connecting pipe, any ideas what else could be leaking? As stated before, it will start leaking with just a few psi added from the cooling system tester. Adding more pressure, increases the rate of the leak.

Please see the attached images.

Thank you for any assistance.
Bill

Old 01-28-2020
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Coolant Connecting Pipe Removal

You can remove that pipe without taking off the intake.
The pipe itself is not common to fail, but those orings are at this age.
personally I would cut the connecting hose in half, remove the bolt, and pull the tube out. Once you move it out a little you get better access to the smaller hose going to the heater core. once that’s off your pull pipe out and replace the oring.
Place the new connecting hose in near boiling water for few minutes to make it nice and pliable to install.

Old 01-30-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MN_Bill is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coolant Connecting Pipe Removal

Thank you for the information. I hope to work on it some day this week.