Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

2004 civic started doing a bunch of bad stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smann2 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 civic started doing a bunch of bad stuff

So let’s make this short and sweet. I’m a delivery driver and don’t know a ton about cars, so I need my car to make money to fix my car.

about a week or so ago, my check engine light came on, so I got it checked at autozone and they said it’s my thermostat. I haven’t been able to replace it because I don’t have a jack but that’ll be done over the coming weekend.

fast forward to yesterday. my car makes an obnoxious whistle at seemingly random times, as well as the temp gage saying it’s overheating when I idle(that overheating has been doing it since the CEL came on) and i just kinda attributed it to the Thermostat. Also my heat doesn’t work while I’m idle.

then today, the whistle has gotten worse, and more frequent. I noticed while coming out from a delivery a little bit of smoke coming from my engine bay, hmm, weird but it’s cold outside so maybe that’s it. I popped the hood to check to see what’s going on, and nothing looks to be wrong except when I put my hand over the engine it was blowing air out at me, and I feel like that’s not normal.

a couple things I thought were the whistle being my vacuum tubing, and the temperature related things being my thermostat. But then with the smoke and the air blowing from my engine I got kinda concerned. Any help is greatly appreciated.

i attached a video of the whistle noise coming from my car.
Old 01-04-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,132 Likes on 946 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2004 civic started doing a bunch of bad stuff

Blown head gasket, either put in another engine or get that one fixed use Honda parts
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Removed

Last edited by smann2; 01-04-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Removed
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Blown head gasket, either put in another engine or get that one fixed use Honda parts
Even if the car isn’t smoking other than that one time, and it’s still running and driving perfectly fine?

The reason I’m asking is because I blew the head gasket in my oldsmobile before getting my civic, and it smoked alot when it was overheating, and nothing would get the temps down and stop it from smoking.

Last edited by smann2; 01-04-2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-05-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What kinda car do you have? Year, model, trim level, engine size etc.

What fault code number(s) did it have?

Also I see no video link
Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

Apparently it won’t let me add it on mobile, it sounds someone blowing a whistle.

its an 04 Civic EX, 1.7L Engine, 132,xxx miles. I’ve owned it for 3 years but between 6 months and a year ago I have had all belts, spark plugs, ignition coils, and coolant tubing replaced. Going to have all fluids flushed tomorrow as I haven’t had it done, as well as an oil change and filter replacement. Hopefully it’ll fix the issue and I don’t need to sink a lot of money into a repair.
Old 01-05-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smann2
Going to have all fluids flushed

Hopefully it’ll fix the issue and I don’t need to sink a lot of money into a repair.
Wrong way to go about it IMO.
Figure out and fix the real problems first.
Then you can do maintenance stuff as needed if you have any money left.
Old 01-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

is this post a joke or just a very good example of raw unadulterated stupidity?