Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

2002 Civic EX: Best quickest least expensive options for computer board?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic EX: Best quickest least expensive options for computer board?

We had our transmission rebuilt at a local shop. We get the car back and there's a check engine light on. We pop the hood and find out that, in the process, the guy doing it pulled on the O2 sensor cable instead of un-snapping the connector properly first, and pulled some of the pins out in a clump.

They had the car for awhile and said they replaced the O2 sensor and it still had the code. It didn't make sense, because the wires were pulled out on the engine side. They also said that the voltage from the engine side seemed too low, but they're transmission mechanics and not general mechanics.

So I took it to my honest, competent and affordable general mechanic in my neighborhood here. He figured out that those pulled out pins that were clumped together, apparently shorted the output from the computer to the O2 sensor.

So apparently the computer board is bad now!

I'm a former Electronics Research & Development Technician with an ASEET ( Associate in Science in Electronics Engineering Technology ) and am wondering if we could get a schematic and my mechanic might easily pull the computer board out and I could repair it - like if it might be a simple resistor or something. But he says it's in a module or steel box or something and that may not be an option.

So what sounds like the best, quickest and least expensive option for fixing this computer board?

I see people offering to repair them on Ebay for around $170 with a warranty, but of course that would take weeks and my mechanic doesn't know where to put the car.

What a mess now.

And I'm just hoping that the transmission place will keep their word and cover this, because otherwise it will be a financial disaster for us, having just paid $2500 for the tranny rebuild.
Old 03-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 Civic EX: Best quickest least expensive options for computer board?

When I had to replace mine I got lucky and found one on eBay. Searched the number on the ECU and found a good match. Just my experience.
Old 03-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm just hoping that the transmission place will keep their word and cover this

So what sounds like the best, quickest and least expensive option for fixing this computer board?
You shouldn't concern yourself with cost now, this is supposed to be the responsibility of the trans shop.

Have your mechanic discuss this with the transmission shop.
How would THEY like to proceed?

New computer plus programming at the Honda dealership, or a used computer plus programming at the Honda dealership?

NOTE:
When it goes to the dealership for programming, make sure the dealership has ALL of your keys. Any keys not present during programming will no longer start the engine.

Any locksmiths out there that can program Honda Immobilizer keys?
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
We had our transmission rebuilt at a local shop. We get the car back and there's a check engine light on. We pop the hood and find out that, in the process, the guy doing it pulled on the O2 sensor cable instead of un-snapping the connector properly first, and pulled some of the pins out in a clump.

They had the car for awhile and said they replaced the O2 sensor and it still had the code. It didn't make sense, because the wires were pulled out on the engine side. They also said that the voltage from the engine side seemed too low, but they're transmission mechanics and not general mechanics.

So I took it to my honest, competent and affordable general mechanic in my neighborhood here. He figured out that those pulled out pins that were clumped together, apparently shorted the output from the computer to the O2 sensor.

So apparently the computer board is bad now!

I'm a former Electronics Research & Development Technician with an ASEET ( Associate in Science in Electronics Engineering Technology ) and am wondering if we could get a schematic and my mechanic might easily pull the computer board out and I could repair it - like if it might be a simple resistor or something. But he says it's in a module or steel box or something and that may not be an option.

I see people offering to repair them on Ebay for around $170 with a warranty, but of course that would take weeks and my mechanic doesn't know where to put the car.

What a mess now.

And I'm just hoping that the transmission place will keep their word and cover this, because otherwise it will be a financial disaster for us, having just paid $2500 for the tranny rebuild.

Open the ECU and inspect this resistor.
It is 20 Ohm SMD resistor.
Replace it if looks burned or just solder iron on top of it new one.
I had similar experience in the past
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2675.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	88584  

Last edited by emich; 03-16-2016 at 11:59 AM.