Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

cruise control no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point
cruise control no longer working

I haven't been using my cruise control for a while, and when I decided to turn it on recently, it no longer engages. My friend said it could be the fuse, but I don't know where the fuse for the cc is.

Last edited by yingjai; 03-20-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2007
Fiberglass Guru

Seiber84 is on a distinguished road
Re: cruise control no longer working

I was also wondering if there was a fuse associated with the cruise control. I rarely use my cruise control and attempted to the other day. The seperate push button lights up green to engage it but when i attempt to set acceleration, nothing happens and the CRUISE ON light doesnt appear on the dash either.

Any help/suggestions?
Old 06-17-2007
Registered!!

jrock will become famous soon enoughjrock will become famous soon enough

same problem
Old 09-07-2007
Registered!!

Canadian Si will become famous soon enoughCanadian Si will become famous soon enough

Same here ! Anybody find the problem yet ? Gonna call the dealer tomorrow !
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

bump. didn't want to create another thread since I'm asking the same question again.

Anyone found the problem yet? I'm still having this problem once in a blue moon. I took the car to Honda, but they said they can't help me if it is working when I bring it in. Kinda like a cat and mouse chase.
Old 04-12-2008
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted

I noticed my cruise control does not function when my lights are on. I just installed a pair of LED tailights from eBay. When the parking or headlights are on, the cruise control button will glow green when pressed, but when I press the button on the steering wheel, the lights on the dash does not appear and the car does not "go into" cruise control.

If the lights are off, then everything works. No freaking clue either...
Old 04-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

put the stock bulbs back in, i bet it will work again. but thats really weird. what exact year and model car do you have, cause i also have led tails from ebay on my 02 sedan and cruise works fine for me.
Old 04-12-2008
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted

2004 coupe EX. The CC was working last night. I installed the LED tails and now the CC does not engage when the lights are off. I'm almost certain that if I install the factory tails, the CC will work.
Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

88honda2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

that is really weird.just to be sure check the vacuum lines off it.who knows
Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

ex-cobalter is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like an electrical glitch, the fuse would be located either in the interior fuse panel, under the dash, prolly driver's side? If not, check the relay panel under the hood, it has some fuses there too. Also, is the rating for the LED tails the same rating as the factory tail bulb? if the rating on the LEDs are higher total than the factory bulb, CC will not engage if the draw on the battery exceeds a certain amount, just to conserve on power. Nothing like driving down the road, go to flip the switch, and the car dies
Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

my cc definately does not work, but i was driving at night. perhaps i'll try tomorrow without lowbeams
Old 04-15-2008
Registered!!

ex-cobalter is an unknown quantity at this point

if that doesnt work, try pulling the DRL fuse, yes, the drl indicator will come on, but try driving the car without the DRL
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

masterguns is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently having this problem. Thing is, I had my LED tails installed for a year with before the cruise decided to stop working with the lights on. Did anyone ever find a fix?
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

yes i had this problem a few months ago and i fixed it very easily. are you sure your c/c worked WHILE your led tail lights were installed? i had mine installed for months before i noticed the c/c wasnt working because i never use it.

anyway, its your tail lights. leds use almost no energy so your car thinks your brake lights dont work. you most likely now have led brake lights on both sides, and led bulbs in your spoiler if you have one. its a safety feature that honda installed so your car will not use c/c because it thinks you have no brake lights. you can do this two ways. the easy way or the hard way:

hard way - remove the c/c module and open it up and do some soldering so that you set it up so your car bypasses the safety feature.

or the easy way (which is what i did) - get any old light harness from any vehicle that has two wires on it (single filament harness), then splice it into your 3rd brake light wires and zip tie it to the top of the trunk. you will need a bulb in it. what youre doing is adding a real light bulb into the system so your c/c will work again. yes your trunk will light up bright when you hit the brakes, but who cares, you wont ever see it. just make sure its zip tied to the top of the trunk so it doesnt get hit and broken and so it doesnt melt or burn onto anything.

the only other way to fix it is if you unplug your spoiler lights and plug it in your deck mounted 3rd brake light, but who the hell wants to do that? the spoiler led lights are way nicer than the ugly deck bulb brake light.
Old 04-16-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ke-lights.html
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

masterguns is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet! I'll try this tomorrow, let you know if it works. Yeah, somehow, my c/c worked fine with LEDs tails for sometime before it decided to quit. I don't have a spoiler, but I'll try this and see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010
Registered!!

black28 is an unknown quantity at this point

i too have ran into this problem. 01 Civic Sedan LX. i don't have LED tails, rarely use cruise control as well. last i remember using it was prior to my Fog installation. you think the DIY would work for me as well?
Old 07-04-2010
Premium Member

did you make sure all your brake lights work? including the top middle one.
Old 07-04-2010
Registered!!

i will check em out. maybe i have a burnt out bulb or something that is throwing it off? i know i had a problem with em (the plug in the brake pedal arm cracked and fell out leaving my brake lights on and killing my battery at work). i'll check and get back.
Old 07-06-2010
Registered!!

okay I checked the brake lights, all 3 are working. what's next?
Old 07-06-2010
Premium Member

so you fixed that switch right? i think there is a cruise control safety switch/circuit also that tells the cruise when to shut off (like when you press the brake pedal). could be that or maybe a problem with any number of cruise control components. can you describe the problem a bit better, like is the cruise button pressed, does the green light come on, does the "cruise" text come on the gauges when you set the speed, etc.
Old 07-07-2010
Registered!!

it's similar to what was posted above. when cruise is switched on, the switch light lights up, the dash verification doesn't light up and cruise control doesn't work. (let go of pedal and the car slows down) all 3 brake lights work though. and my brake switch works too...
Old 07-08-2010
Premium Member

check fuses 10 and 4 in under dash fusebox and fuse 7 under the hood. does horn work? does tach work? check engine light on? could be a problem with the steering wheel switch, or the cruise control unit under the dash, or some other part like the actuator under hood. check the cruise cable (next to throttle cable) under the hood and make sure its not loose.
Old 08-15-2010
Registered!!

instalher is an unknown quantity at this point

well tonight for the first time my cruise control started acting up.. driving home i place my cruise on..green light comes on and works fine then shuts off and green light goes off... push switch off then back on hit set and green light comes on and i start cruising again.. then randomly light shuts off and so does cruise control.. all lights are stock and working.. any ideas..
Old 06-11-2018
Registered!!

TheJGB3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hate to bump such an old thread, but I am having the same issue and did not want to start a new thread. The light on the dash button comes on when pressed, but when I try to engage the cruise by hitting the set button on the steering wheel the light comes on in the cluster, then flickers a few times then turns off. I have checked all of the fuses, and I am pretty sure that my clock spring is still good because the horn still works. My 2000 EX is an auto (so there is no clutch pedal cancel switch).

Sometimes the SRS light in the cluster comes on, then goes off on occasion. This may or may not be related, but a clock spring issue could be the cause for the SRS light

Last edited by TheJGB3; 06-11-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheJGB3
My 2000 EX is an auto (so there is no clutch pedal cancel switch).
While it does monitor a switch on the brake pedal, your notes that the light flickers then goes off makes me think the control unit needs to be replaced. A failing switch would just instantly turn it off.

Old 06-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

While it does monitor a switch on the brake pedal, your notes that the light flickers then goes off makes me think the control unit needs to be replaced. A failing switch would just instantly turn it off.

I hope that's not the problem because the part is $229 wholesale

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...-s01-a51.html?
Old 06-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Yea I would go to a junk yard and pull two Incase one was also bad. First you will get experience on how to get it out without worry and second you could likely get both for $30
Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

I got one from a local boneyard for $45. One 10mm nut and I didn't have to remove the kick panel to get to it. Took 5 minutes to install. Cruise is now working properly. thanks Slumpertcivic

Last edited by TheJGB3; 07-02-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2019
Registered!!

mkubancsek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
check fuses 10 and 4 in under dash fusebox and fuse 7 under the hood. does horn work? does tach work? check engine light on? could be a problem with the steering wheel switch, or the cruise control unit under the dash, or some other part like the actuator under hood. check the cruise cable (next to throttle cable) under the hood and make sure its not loose.
I have the same issue - cruise control and horn both not working. Not a fuse issue (all are good- both fuse boxes) and stop lamp (rear top brake light) works fine. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: cruise control no longer working