Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Headers Glowing Red

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shrieking Geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Headers Glowing Red

Good Morning Everyone,
I have just recently finished putting in a new D17A1 into my 2005 Civic DX. The new engine is exactly the same as the last other than the fact that it's from a 2002. Well I got the car running but when the car is up to temperature, and it's dark out, the headers glow orange a little bit and I don't know if a little bit of glow is ok, or if I truly have something wrong.
I am getting a CEL and the scanner tells me I have the codes P2279 (Intake Air System Leak) and P0507 (Idle Air Control System Higher Than Expected). I double checked the intake manifold and can't find any disconnected hoses or any sort of thing that could be causing a vacuum leak so that is confusing me. It is my understanding that if there is a vacuum leak, extra air could be getting in, making it run lean, and then that could cause the headers to glow.
If anyone has had experience with this, knows some procedures I could perform to test the problem, it would be much appreciated.
Thank you
PS I dont suspect a clogged cat, it is brand new
Old 08-15-2021
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Headers Glowing Red

If you haven't already check valves clearances.
A clogged catalytic converter and/or exhaust can cause glowing headers. Retarded ignition timing. Wrong air/fuel ratio. Faulty injectors.