Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Crankshaft won’t turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frostysinco is an unknown quantity at this point
Crankshaft won’t turn

Anyone know how to fix this or know how to get to where I can see what’s the pistons.
Old 08-03-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Crankshaft won’t turn

What are you trying to do?
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
What are you trying to do?
sup bro tato , I’m trying to time the engine .
Old 08-03-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Do you have the timing belt on or off? Spark plugs removed?
Old 08-03-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

if you have the spark plugs in, you'll be fighting the compression strokes
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if the timing belt is off and the head is in, stop right now!!!
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

Do you have the timing belt on or off? Spark plugs removed?
okay I only have the first spark pug out and the timing belt is on.
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

What’s a good compression gauge for top dead entering the Honda’s that’s another issue I’ve ran into lately
Old 08-03-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Frostysinco
okay I only have the first spark pug out and the timing belt is on.
remove all spark plugs.
belt on, good, not gonna bend the valves
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
remove all spark plugs.
belt on, good, not gonna bend the valves
will let the crankshaft rotate ?
Old 08-03-2021
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you try and do it with the timing belt off, the camshaft won't rotate and the crankshaft will. If any valves are open due to camshaft position, they're gonna kiss smack the top of the piston, and that'll leave you with a bad day

edit: rather, the tops of the piston(s) are gonna smack the open valve(s)*
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
If you try and do it with the timing belt off, the camshaft won't rotate and the crankshaft will. If any valves are open due to camshaft position, they're gonna kiss smack the top of the piston, and that'll leave you with a bad day

I may already be at that bad day bad month part to be honest
Old 08-03-2021
Administrator
Administrator

worse day* lol

If you bend valves, the only way to fix it is ripping the engine apart and replacing the valves.. Turns into a head gasket replacement and then some

I had it happen to me. Did a DIY head gasket replacement, had it all together, and didn't torque the TDC sensor on well enough. It vibrated itself loose and decided to kamikaze itself and take out my timing belt with it. Bent all 16 valves and had to replace valves and do another head gasket replacement.
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

worse day* lol

If you bend valves, the only way to fix it is ripping the engine apart and replacing the valves.. Turns into a head gasket replacement and then some

I had it happen to me. Did a DIY head gasket replacement, had it all together, and didn't torque the TDC sensor on well enough. It vibrated itself loose and decided to kamikaze itself and take out my timing belt with it. Bent all 16 valves and had to replace valves and do another head gasket replacement.
yeah I only turns a small amount now . Is there a tutorial online or the Haynes manual teach how to get to the valves?
Old 08-03-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

you have the belt on, so you should be safe about the valves.
remove all spark plugs. the engine compression is resisting turning. only one plug removed means the other three are still resisting.
Be glad they are resisting, means you have compression.
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

you have the belt on, so you should be safe about the valves.
remove all spark plugs. the engine compression is resisting turning. only one plug removed means the other three are still resisting.
Be glad they are resisting, means you have compression.
I tried to turn the crank with the all the sparks removed and ran into the same problem. It’s that still a good sign?
Old 08-03-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

huh, no...
what direction are you turning? Belt gets loose in one of the directions...
belt can only keep tension in one direction by design... It might be the valves...
Old 08-03-2021
Registered!!

huh, no...
what direction are you turning? Belt gets loose in one of the directions...
belt can only keep tension in one direction by design... It might be the valves...
I went the wrong way because of someone on YouTube . And forced it
later I learned it was turned the wrong way otherwise I would have done the job correct.

Last edited by Frostysinco; 08-03-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

oouch!
Old 08-03-2021
Administrator
Administrator

at least you won't really do any damage cranking by hand the wrong way, so long as timing is set properly. Counter-clockwise, my friend. Counter-clockwise (toward the front of the engine, if that wasn't clear)

The movement isn't gonna be smooth and steady, just so you know. It's gonna feel kinda hard for around 90°, then just go the rest of the 180° or so, seemingly by itself, then repeat.
Old 08-04-2021
Super Moderator

I hope you're not trying to turn this over by hand either. Overcoming the force of the valve springs when the camshaft is turning is basically impossible without more leverage.
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

I may just hire a mechanics that can work on it
edit (I take that back) lol

Last edited by Frostysinco; 08-04-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

I hope you're not trying to turn this over by hand either. Overcoming the force of the valve springs when the camshaft is turning is basically impossible without more leverage.
wait so I just watched some more about what’s inside the head and are we saying that a valve spring is the problem ? If so I think I could fix that see how easy it was to get to .
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

at least you won't really do any damage cranking by hand the wrong way, so long as timing is set properly. Counter-clockwise, my friend. Counter-clockwise (toward the front of the engine, if that wasn't clear)

The movement isn't gonna be smooth and steady, just so you know. It's gonna feel kinda hard for around 90°, then just go the rest of the 180° or so, seemingly by itself, then repeat.
well for me it was smooth for like 180 and now stuck at like 6-7-8 o’clock
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

update I tried to rotate the camshaft by hand a bit too and it was stiff turns so I didn’t turn it much but I did notice the springs moved some
Old 08-04-2021
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Frostysinco
wait so I just watched some more about what’s inside the head and are we saying that a valve spring is the problem ? If so I think I could fix that see how easy it was to get to .
No....I'm saying even on a good engine you have to use a breaker bar or something to turn the engine over.

Check engine timing. If it's still lined up then you didn't bend any valves.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ne-timing.html
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

No....I'm saying even on a good engine you have to use a breaker bar or something to turn the engine over.

it’s not lined up sorry I thought you were reading everything . I’m trying to line it up and tdc it so I can put everything back and see if the car will crank.
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

so I’m thinking I have bent intake valves as in the ones inside the cylinder head in the springs right, just trying to make sure before I do all the work for nothing . Because the cranks are off in both top and bottom and turning it is hard I went the wrong way two full turns and ended up turning the top cam by hand as well .
edited*
Old 08-04-2021
Super Moderator

Turning it over clockwise doesn't guarantee bent valves. Turning the crank isn't easy but with the crankshaft pulley holder tool and a breaker bar it shouldn't take much effort. It would be difficult to turn every 90 degrees but easier in-between each (when the camshaft is opening valves it gets difficult to turn). From here I can't tell you if it feels normal.

Have you had the timing belt off? I'm still confused what you're doing here.

You can tell if valves are bent by removing the timing belt, removing the camshaft and rocker arms, then inspecting the top of all the valves. With no camshaft they should all be sitting at the same height. If some were bent you would be able to tell.
Old 08-04-2021
Registered!!

Turning it over clockwise doesn't guarantee bent valves. Turning the crank isn't easy but with the crankshaft pulley holder tool and a breaker bar it shouldn't take much effort. It would be difficult to turn every 90 degrees but easier in-between each (when the camshaft is opening valves it gets difficult to turn). From here I can't tell you if it feels normal.

Have you had the timing belt off? I'm still confused what you're doing here.

You can tell if valves are bent by removing the timing belt, removing the camshaft and rocker arms, then inspecting the top of all the valves. With no camshaft they should all be sitting at the same height. If some were bent you would be able to tell.
I have had the belt off but what I’m trying to do is time the engine I just don’t want to brake anything but if you guys say that it won’t break anything by turning it forcefully I’ll try it with the breaker bar again and see if I get it on the right position.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft won’t turn