Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Buddy massively over filled engine, blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axten is an unknown quantity at this point
Buddy massively over filled engine, blown head gasket?

Hi everyone

As the title states, my buddy who doesn't know much about cars thought he was low on oil and decided to add some oil... Well he called me saying his car was blowing lots of white smoke so my immediate thought was blown head gasket. Then he decided to tell me it started blowing a lot of white smoke only after he added oil, to which I asked how much oil and he said around 4L...

I drained all the oil, which was around 6 to 6.5L in total, then refilled with the correct amount and of course it's still blowing a ton of white smoke... My guess is the head gasket is blown as I originally suspected, however I did take the spark plugs out and 3 of 4 were absolutely soaked with oil

So my question is where do I go from here in diagnosing if it's the head gasket it or not? I could add 4 new plugs but I don't suspect it'll do much.

Car is an 01 with 340000km so it's not worth anything. If it is the headgasket it's going straight to scrap but I want to confirm it's that before I give my buddy the verdict. For what it's worth the car was run low on coolant and slightly over heated a few months back, but ever since I added coolant it's been fine (hence another reason which leads me to believe bad head gasket)

Here's some pictures of the plugs and coils

Last edited by Axten; 08-22-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Buddy massively over filled engine, blown head gasket?

Not going to hurt the head gasket, but extra oil on the piston may result in restoring compression which if the head gasket was marginal at low pressure might start to leak back at higher.

hurt gas mileage and overwhelm the PCV valve resulting in the smoke is what i would expect, possibly with extended running the oil might froth enough to no longer effectively pump and then you would ironically get a oil light..
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Not going to hurt the head gasket, but extra oil on the piston may result in restoring compression which if the head gasket was marginal at low pressure might start to leak back at higher.

hurt gas mileage and overwhelm the PCV valve resulting in the smoke is what i would expect, possibly with extended running the oil might froth enough to no longer effectively pump and then you would ironically get a oil light..
So what should I do other then of course putting 4 new spark plugs in?
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Fix the oil level, new plugs. Monitor the coolant level. If it gets low and the reservoir is high then you know the headgasket is done.
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Fix the oil level, new plugs. Monitor the coolant level. If it gets low and the reservoir is high then you know the headgasket is done.
Yes oil has been drained and new oil added so level is now good. I will buy plugs and see what happens
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

put OEM plugs in it this time
Old 08-23-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Seen one where the guy filled the oil to the top of the dipstick, lol.

It was smoking for a week, burning all the oil out of the exhaust system.
Old 08-23-2019
Registered!!

colewan is an unknown quantity at this point

OEM plugs might help