Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driving on a leaking head gasket - fixing in 4 days

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point
Driving on a leaking head gasket - fixing in 4 days

I'm getting my head gasket fixed in 4 days. My local shop wont do a HG job, they will only swap engines. There is a shop that will do it approximatley 150 miles from me.

I've been driving the car in town at low speeds for short trips. Is there any agvantage to changing the oil to try to extend the life incase coolant is getting into the block?
Old 07-27-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving on a leaking head gasket - fixing in 4 days

Couldn't hurt to clear the coolant out of the oil... it should last 4 days however. Just keep checking your oil. This is just my opinion... I'm not a mechanic by any means.
Old 07-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Head gaskets can fail in different ways so it really depends on how yours has failed. If the failure is allowing combustion gas into the coolant but there is no coolant mixing with the oil, then there is no need to change the oil.
If there is coolant getting in the oil then I would do an oil change with a cheap oil and filter, fix the head gasket as soon as you can, and then do an oil change with your normal products.
Old 07-27-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just check your oil and remove the oil cap and look for white. When my HG failed I had no coolant in the oil whatsoever.
Old 07-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkoPollo
I'm getting my head gasket fixed in 4 days. My local shop wont do a HG job, they will only swap engines. There is a shop that will do it approximatley 150 miles from me.

I've been driving the car in town at low speeds for short trips. Is there any agvantage to changing the oil to try to extend the life incase coolant is getting into the block?
I thought you were going to diy, what shop you taking it to?
Old 07-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gugle is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a delivery driver and my 01 Lx has had a head gasket leak pretty much sicne I got the sucker (not really but feels that way at times).

My best advice with the oil though is to just keep an eye on it like others have said. If it turns an odd color or if it starts to smell unusual or get super black like lawn mower oil then you def want to change it.

I've had success just by watching the oil like a hawk before trips and making sure the coolant is topped off every other day (have to add about a pint or two each fill up). As long you don't have to take long freeway trips and don't race the car around you'll be fine.

I guess my one big secret, although im not sure how effective it actually is, is running the heat all the time. Get's brutal in the summer but hey, i've put 100,000+ miles on leaky gaskets. (that's in TN mind you, *knock on wood* heh)