Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Power loss in accelerating need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jmareiro is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Power loss in accelerating need help

Hey everyone I've searched all over the forum but am coming up blank.

So here's where I at...
Last week I did my head gasket and timing belt kit on my 02 civic w/1.7, now that everything is back together I'm staring to have an issue. It starts up usually on the second try after started it runs great and could run forever but as soon as I give it a little gas it it studders sometimes stalling out. If I give it more than half throttle then it's fine and I can drive it down the street but it I need to accelerate even while already moving it starts cutting out.

I've checked for vacuum leaks and I'm not getting an cel lights.

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 12-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Power loss in accelerating need help

check compression,

check timing marks, you could be off by a tooth
Old 12-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

And check the ground wires....
Name:  E9Yk3SN.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  788.5 KB
Old 12-14-2015
Registered!!

Thanks guys for getting back to me.

Mikey is there a way to check if My timing is off without pulling the right side of the motor off again?

I think the ground wire would be more of a constant issue wouldn't it?
Old 12-14-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jmareiro
Thanks guys for getting back to me.

Mikey is there a way to check if My timing is off without pulling the right side of the motor off again?

you will at least need to remove the top half of the timing cover to see the cam marks, then you can use the marks on the crank pulley and bottom timing cover to align the crank pulley to TDC
Old 12-14-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You tell me.
If a ground wire was attached to a loose bolt--- and lost contact SOMETIMES--- could it cause your complaint?

If you just did the timing belt and head gasket and NOW you have a NEW problem, you need to retrace every step you made, as you probably caused the new problem.

In the pic, the eyelet on the left is the main ground circuit for the PCM and most of the stuff it controls. It's THE most important ground for it.
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

Okay I have checked the timing and brushed up the grounds and still I am getting the same issue. The timing was off by a tooth, so I adjusted it andI also noticed the PCV valve was no good so I replaced that as well. I but new plugs in too prev owner had bosch I put NGK in. I'm really lost on this one because it drove fine before the head gasket and now I cant seem to figured it out. Any more suggestions?
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

I'm really lost on this one because it drove fine before the head gasket and now I cant seem to figured it out.

then its obviously something you have done,

did you check the compression?

if so, what were the results for each cylinder?

if you have not checked compression.....do so

how exactly did you check and correct the timing?

my money is still on the timing or a compression loss....one or the other....maybe both
Old 12-18-2015
Registered!!

I haven't check compression yet I dont have a compression tester.

As far as timing goes I took the top cover off rotated counter clockwise till the top gear was what I thought tdc. Then I looked down and noticed that the crank pulley was not lined up. I then took the pulley off and bottom cover then relieved the tensioner and moved the crank in the direction it needed to go. re set everything and made sure they lined up started it and rechecked.

What puzzled me was the fact that nothing changed from moving it I assumed it would have either ran worse or better not stay the same.
Old 12-18-2015

What puzzled me was the fact that nothing changed from moving it I assumed it would have either ran worse or better not stay the same.
Are you using the correct set of timing marks?

Is it still a tooth off, maybe the opposite direction this time?
Old 12-19-2015
Registered!!

I haven't check compression yet I dont have a compression tester.
get one, you need to verify compression

Then I looked down and noticed that the crank pulley was not lined up.
what mark on the pulley were you using to verify this?

I then took the pulley off and bottom cover then relieved the tensioner and moved the crank in the direction it needed to go. re set everything and made sure they lined up started it and rechecked.
what marks were you using to verify this?