Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Delay in plugs firing at start, normal?? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soulraver is an unknown quantity at this point
Delay in plugs firing at start, normal?? (video)

Hey guys, i got this 01 civic ex from a friend and when i got it, the car would not start. I've only worked on 6th gen civics and earlier, so this car has a different ignition set-up. When i went to check for spark, i noticed all the plugs were drenched in fuel, and when i try to crank the car with one of the plugs out and grounded the plug does not fire for the first .5 - 1 sec every time. Even with new plugs, each cylinder has the same thing happen. Is this normal for this year of car? Check out the video below. BTW, when i press the gas in all the way, and start cranking the car studders a little like it wants to start but nothing.

In the video i am using an old plug, but the same results happen with my brand new plugs, gap checked and within spec.
Old 01-03-2014
Registered!!

Re: Delay in plugs firing at start, normal?? (video)

Its not letting me post a link to the video when it's all together:
h ttp://youtu.be/QJ7fBdxczIQ
Old 01-03-2014
Registered!!

Can no one help me out?? I just would like to know if this is normal for 7th gen civics, someone on this board must know.
Old 01-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I've never bothered to check what you are doing....but what I think is happening is the engine has to turn through at least 2 complete revolutions before sparks happen. It has to figure out where #1 cylinder is before it can pick out which coil to fire and when. (Other manufacturers do this, sounded good to me!)

Also, sounds flooded. Did someone move the car in the driveway and shut it off while still cold?

Cam timing off a tooth?
Cylinders need oiled?
Coolant temp sensor inaccurate?

Hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, this shuts off the injectors as a 'clear flood' mode. If it's simply flooded, it should eventually start trying to fire.
Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

Thank you for the reply.. i thought it was a design thing but i have never heard of it.. ill have to check the timing and sensor, but at least now i can move past this spark issue.