Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

D17A1 different intake manifold gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dem0nk1d is an unknown quantity at this point
D17A1 different intake manifold gaskets

Name:  intake_manifold_gasket-differences.png
Views: 7062
Size:  98.2 KB

So on my rebuild engine I forgot to clean out the EGR passage way on the intake manifold and was throwing the following code of "EGR air flow insufficient." So while I had the manifold off to clean out that little passageway from all the old carbon build up I noticed a difference in intake manifold gaskets.

The intake manifold gasket which i got in my rebuild kit didn't have the little holes highlighted in yellow above. So what gives? I'm think the difference in gaskets is, one is for the EGR setup, and the other isn't for the EGR intake manifold setup. Am I incorrect? I went back installed the old gasket, and cleaned it up as best as i could.

I'm now noticing hard starting after the car has been warmed up...

Puzzling... Isn't it... Morning folks!
Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

Re: D17A1 different intake manifold gaskets

More detailed info from look at the honda parts catalog online...

2004-2005 Civic Lx (d17a1)
17055-PLD-004 GASKET, FR. INJECTOR BASE (NIPPON LEAKLESS)

2001-2003 Civic Lx/Dx (d17a1)

2001-2005 Civic Ex (d17a2) with vattack yo!

So now I'm really stumped, kind of odd that the aftermarket gaskets have two different versions.
Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

Little bit of research i found the following info. So strange honda doesn't show different part numbers.
**I think the mods should sticky this whole post**
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-passages.html

Thanks to ScottD for the original cleaning post. A few more notes from my 15 hour cleaning project on a 2004 California emissions Civic.

Depressurizing fuel injectors is not necessary:
On my 2004 Civic engine, I removed the spark coil cover (quarter turn screws), loosen but do not remove spark coil connectors as needed, remove the air cleaner support bracket (2 10mm wrench size nuts), unplug the 4 injector connectors. At the mechanic's right, find a rubber tube from the injector fuel return rail to the evaporative cannister purge valve and disconnect it. Remove two 10mm wrench size hex nuts holding injector fuel rail to the engine. Rock and lift injector fuel rail and four injectors up and clear. Use a wire to hang injector rail from the inside of the hood. Don't bump or touch the injectors. Clean injector o-rings and install them with a coating of clean engine oil.

Assemble intake manifold and injector plate on the workbench:
Put the intake manifold and injector plate together on the workbench. There are two or three 12 mm wrench size hex nuts that hold the parts together. It is much easier to get these fasteners finger tight on a workbench rather than struggling in the tight spaces of the engine compartment later.

There about 8 nuts and bolts holding the injector plate and the intake manifold to the engine. You need 12 mm combination wrench for most of these fasteners. Usually Honda specifies really high-torque levels for their fasteners. I am buying some long pattern combination wrenches so I can develop more torque when tightening engine fasteners. The wrenches are mostly special order so I used the internet and bought a 9 piece set from Sears for $58.44.

Magnetic nut holder:
I made a magnetic nut holder using a broken piece of 5/8%u201D diameter neodymium magnet holding the nut in the wrench head. By matching the starting thread on the engine bolt with the starting thread of the attachment nut, you can get the nut started. Then spin the nut down with a wood chopstick or screwdriver or finger tip.

Match your original intake manifold gasket at the parts store:
There are two different intake manifold gaskets for the Honda Civic and beware both gaskets fit the D17A1 engine.

Year Engine Napa number
2004 D17A1 NAPA MS96390-1 Has gas hole in corner
2000-2003 D17A1 NAPA MS96390 No gas hole.

Supplies you will need:
Two cans of spray type carburetor and egr valve cleaner.
New oil filter.
Medium strength thread lock for fasteners you can't pull to specified torque.
Old 04-19-2016
Registered!!

FavelaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

What's guys and girls, i'm brand new to the forum, i hope i can learn and contribute to others too.
It seems i ran into this same exact problem, i did a small rebuild and put these ebay gaskets on and didnt notice the main egr hole (bigger hole near the corner of the gasket) was blocked on one of the gaskets. My question is, is that intake mani gasket two-ply or should i use just a single gasket. I ask that because it seemed they came attached to each other and came apart when i was handling it.
I dont know how attach a picture, or i would. I know this is an old post by maybe someone is out there still. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FavelaCivic
What's guys and girls, i'm brand new to the forum, i hope i can learn and contribute to others too.
It seems i ran into this same exact problem, i did a small rebuild and put these ebay gaskets on and didnt notice the main egr hole (bigger hole near the corner of the gasket) was blocked on one of the gaskets. My question is, is that intake mani gasket two-ply or should i use just a single gasket. I ask that because it seemed they came attached to each other and came apart when i was handling it.
I dont know how attach a picture, or i would. I know this is an old post by maybe someone is out there still. Thank you.
sounds like they provided you with both gaskets, you should have only used one of them
Old 04-26-2016
Registered!!

FavelaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
sounds like they provided you with both gaskets, you should have only used one of them
Ha yes! I did use both gaskets...
Just removed the intake manifold and took the wrong one out, problem solved. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2016
mhg
Registered!!

mhg is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an old thread but perhaps I can offer some additional info. My daughters 04 was throwing p0401 code. I know the erg system needed to be cleaned out but I did not have time. Brought it to my mechanic. He confirmed that needed to be done but wanted nothing to do with it. Bring it to the dealer. He knew I would not pay a lot and he could not be accurate enough on his estimated hours to risk taking a loss.

Well I had to make time. 2 hours to dissassemble and 2 hours to clean and put back together. 2 hours of BS (looking for the nut I dropped or the right socket). $60 for the gasket kit, injector o rings, carb cleaner and oil/filter...(while I was at it)..

So old gasket did not have the holes. New gasket does. Not sure hoe it works without holes. Went to dealer. D17A1 gasket has holes. Installed one with holes. Car runs perfect all day....
Old 01-04-2019
Registered!!

iSamoStefan is an unknown quantity at this point

Crap I think I also installed both gaskets from my engine rebuild kit. Guess that's what happens with a mixture of being tired and not knowing enough about the EGR system. It's one of those things I feel like you mess up once and learn your lesson. P0401 code led me to realize what I'd done (doubled up on the gaskets) since I had just cleaned the EGR valve and rebuilt the whole engine.. You would think they would only send the EGR enabled gasket and leave the bypass EGR gasket to special order!!
Old 01-04-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iSamoStefan
You would think they would only send the EGR enabled gasket and leave the bypass EGR gasket to special order!!
it's way simpler for stores and manufacturers to just include both gaskets. that way the kit is good for 01-05 civics instead of having two different kits, which means two different part numbers, have to stock both parts which takes up more room, people will frequently order the wrong one and return it, etc
Old 06-05-2021
Registered!!

Bhill671 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
it's way simpler for stores and manufacturers to just include both gaskets. that way the kit is good for 01-05 civics instead of having two different kits, which means two different part numbers, have to stock both parts which takes up more room, people will frequently order the wrong one and return it, etc
This Thread Should be kept up for a decade - So I'm posting our experience to keep it going and hopefully save someone else some $$ because:
1) There are false rumors floating around out there D17A1 EGR (2001-2005 LX models)
2) Even Honda Dealer Service Departments seem completely unfamiliar the content of this thread regarding intake gaskets
BACKSTORY: Our Son's 2005 LX w/ D17A1 threw a rod so we replaced it with another from a 2003 LX because it was clean with super low (109k) miles and well documented from a reputable source, (all of this in California, and both California cars). I verified the donor VIN with carfax, mileage, etc, and despite being originally shipped to and sold from a Honda dealer near Sunnyvale, CA, this vehicle being pre-2004, was not originally equipped with, nor had provisions for EGR. The engine supplier confirmed that merely swapping the T-stat housing/EGR base from the original engine would suffice. Neither the supplier, or ANY YouTube engine swap videos mentioned anything about the intake gasket. I could see the exhaust side of the EGR passage existed in the 2003 Cyl head and was perfectly clean, having never been exposed to EGR with a valve.

New engine ran perfectly, as would be expected from a low miles Honda 1.7, however kept throwing P0401 code after about 15 - 20 miles of driving. If we didn't live in CA, this would be the end of the problem and the end of the story, however a vehicle that won't pass smog every 2 years here is un-registerable and completely worthless. Replacing the EGR valve did not change a thing. I began to panic after hearing/seeing tidbits online about a "non-EGR" cylinder head (also a bull$h!t rumor), from the best of what I could uncover in this 6-month project, no such thing existed for 01-05 D17 seventh gen Civic LX -- if anyone knows of or can prove otherwise - Please Comment.

As a last resort, we took it to our local Honda dealer and elected to NOT give them the back story about the engine swap. They advised that the EGR passages were plugged up and needed to be cleaned, and also advised (upsell) that we replace the new aftermarket EGR valve with an OE Honda unit, which we declined. The Service-writer indicated that they would remove and "hot tank" the EGR box and intake which I questioned as the intake is a phenolic composite. When the Service-writer called to advise the car was ready for pickup he said that the technician wanted to ask if we had ever changed the intake gasket or installed an aftermarket gasket, as the new one they ordered (for 2005 LX) did NOT match the one that came out and the EGR holes were a "weird size" and smaller. (After this experience, and later seeing this thread I realized the intake gasket was the issue the whole time), and also why would a Non-EGR model need the EGR passages cleaned? Well, fair enough since we didn't tell them we had replaced the engine, this would be a logical diagnosis for a 2005 so the Honda Dealer did in fact diagnose an EGR passage obstruction correctly.
However, what bothered about the whole experience:
-- the Honda dealer service department seemed completely unaware of the possibility of a different gasket
--when my Son finally suggested to the Service-writer that maybe the gasket was different because the engine came from an 03 without original equipment EGR, the Service-writer scoffed, laughed at us and responded with (and I quote) "No Civic engine was ever produced without EGR", and when we insisted the donor vehicle did not have EGR, he said "Well it didn't come from California"
NICE! Pointless to argue, we took it as a $756 lesson learned, and left -- I really like the parts manager at our local dealer, but lost much respect for them that day!
Also - This intake gasket issue would have been MUCH EASIER to deal with while swapping parts over and changing the timing belt while it was on the engine stand!