Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Weird A/C rattling? burning oil? pcv valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DerekxxCore is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird A/C rattling? burning oil? pcv valve?

So a few months back, when I did my oil changes I noticed my 2001 Civic Lx was burning alot of oil. Alot. I was getting an oil light so I immediately went to get supplies to do an oil change, and when I drained my oil I probably had maybe a quart in there (dangerously low oil pressure). Scared the crap out of me, so I've been doing oil changes earlier and adding it as needed. Now that its hot as all hell, I'm using the a/c more because I'm a wuss. But the other day when my a/c comp kicked on I heard a rattling noise, and a couple times an irratic idle. The rattling noise only happens in lower rpm's when accelerating. I tried listening to it with the hood popped and the rattling sounds like its coming from down in the internals, not the a/c compressor.

Could the oil issues & a/c issues be related? I've been reading and I'm thinking it might be a bad pcv valve which would explain the bad idle and oil but not the a/c. I really don't know what to think and I'm planning on selling my car soon and I'm not the kind of guy to sell a car with all these issues.

Someone help please!
Old 07-24-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Weird A/C rattling? burning oil? pcv valve?

You can easily check your pcv valve. It should have a tiny rattle when you shake it. Either way, if you've never replaced it, they aren't too much and it's an easy and often overlooked item that should be replaced.
Old 07-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

we 01+ civics are lucky cause ours are metal and can be simply cleaned out with carb spray and reused. older civics are plastic and should be thrown out.
Old 11-09-2018
Banned

onetwoothreee is an unknown quantity at this point

The mystery noise after 150,000 miles turned out to be the PCV valve. It's not impossible to get to from the top of the car. It's 17mm (I used a crescent wrench) and a small turn will break it loose.

I can confirm the Honda OEM is different from the aftermarket ones outside of the price. They sound and look different, and I'd use the OEM one again if I had to.