Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Minimum Voltage Needed To Start Civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheWiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Minimum Voltage Needed To Start Civic

Good morning,

I own a 2002 Civic LX and I've been having trouble starting it. I can start it using my charger, I can drive it with no issue as it has a new alternator (14.52 volts when running). If I turn it off after driving it, I might be able to start it right back up within 20 seconds. However, If I leave it for too long, it won't start. One time, I got back to my house, unloaded my groceries, and tried to start it again and nothing at all. Now, my guess is a either an inefficient starter motor as it's the original since 2002, but I have no evidence. I've eliminated the alternator as a problem. I charged the battery for 8 hours using a 10 amp charger. After that, I checked the voltage with the car off and it varied between 12.52v and 12.58v using a multimeter. I tried to start it right after checking the voltage and it didn't turn over and the starter sound slowed down. I checked the voltage again and it was at 12.32. Is the battery bad? What's the minimum voltage needed to start my Civic? I also tried to check for a parasitic draw and measured .07A-.11A. I don't know if that's enough to drain the battery that quick though. What's a normal reading for that? I haven't started pulling fuses yet, but I may do so after work tomorrow. I'd expect my after market car alarm isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 04-21-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Minimum Voltage Needed To Start Civic

How old is the battery?
im guessing that's the problem
Old 04-21-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheWiz is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's only two years old, but the alternator was bad. Maybe it made the battery bad.
Old 04-21-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Yep that can definitely wear out a battery, plus batteries don't seem to past as long as they used to
Old 04-21-2020
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

I'd certainly guess the battery. When the car's off, the voltage is supposed to be around 12.6, and gets up around 14.2 when the alternator is doing its thing. Anything above 12 should have no issue starting your car.
Old 04-21-2020
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

What has likely happened is your battery is sulfided up, also possibly low on electrolyte.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (04-21-2020)