Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Car not starting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car not starting up

I have a 2001 Civic EX with 140k miles. Last week it was raining pretty heavily and it would not start. Eventually after cranking and pressing the gas it started up and worked for a few days. Then in the morning it did not start up again. I also got a check engine light for a misfire in cylinder 1. So far I've changed the fuel pump relay and that didn't help. What could be the problem?
Old 05-04-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Car not starting up

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...n-car-diy.html
Old 05-04-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

May be flooded? Try starting it with the gas pedal to the floor: disables fuel injectors and allows the maximum amount of air into cylinders. May need to use starter spray in TB. If it doesn't start refer mac25 link.
Old 05-07-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02civilx is an unknown quantity at this point

lets go to basics. did water leak inside the car? if so was it on passenger side? if so pop a good computer in her and have it reflashed to your vin and security key
Old 05-16-2019
Registered!!

So the problem seemed to come from cylinder 1. I swapped the plug out with the original one I had when i changed them and the car started right up. It's been running good ever since. I don't have any leaks inside but i feel like it could be condensation from the rain, but it had to get in the cylinder somehow.
Old 05-17-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EX01
So the problem seemed to come from cylinder 1. I swapped the plug out with the original one I had when i changed them and the car started right up. It's been running good ever since. I don't have any leaks inside but i feel like it could be condensation from the rain, but it had to get in the cylinder somehow.
When you removed the plug did you see or smell any coolant on the spark plug anode side? Loosing coolant in the radiator?
Old 05-20-2019
Registered!!

The plug was clean, it had no oil, fuel nothing on it
Old 05-26-2019
Registered!!

Update: The check engine light gas been coming on lately. I checked the code and I'm getting misfire in cylinder 1. I've swapped the coils to see if they're bad if I would get another misfire in another cylinder but it only comes from cylinder 1. Usually when I start the car for the first time in the day I have to turn the key a little longer so it'll start up and idle properly. Otherwise I get a hard start and vibrations. I had changed the fuel pump, coil, and spark plug for that cylinder. Could the problem come from a bad fuel injector?
Old 05-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Absolutely,

Kind of a pain to swap them around, but the results will be obvious.

You might be able to use a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the injector. If you can hear the other three clicking at idle you know your in the right area.
Old 07-22-2019
Registered!!

UPDATE:
So up until a few weeks ago my car didn't start at all. It just kept cranking. After taking some more time to look thoroughly the valve cover gasket was leaking oil. After taking off the cover and replacing the gasket I resprayed the cover black. Used gasket sealer as well and put everything in back into place. I waited a few days for the seal to dry and the car fired up just fine.