Canada West Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, NWT

gf got into a fender-bender, whut should she do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
popsiclepete is an unknown quantity at this point
gf got into a fender-bender, whut should she do?

my gf was driving through the parking lot at petcetera on No. 3 rd. when another car (an old camry) backed out and dented her front left fender. She tried to warn them by using the horn, but it was too late. my gf wasn't speeding or nething and she couldn't swerve away cuz there was this pole in front of her. at first, the guy in the camry offered to settle.. but then decided that it cost too much and instead said that it was my gf's fault (i was like WTF?!?!?!) anyway. so my gf made the claim to ICBC.

is there a chance that it could be a 50/50 at fault situation?

since they offered to settle first, aren't they assuming responsibility? does that mean anything to icbc?

any advice for this kind of situation?

TIA!
Old 08-17-2002
Registered!!

DjCarrot is an unknown quantity at this point
From what i understand if you are backing out and you hit someone/someone hits you, you are usually found at fault.
From what you're saying your gf should have no problems with this case.... if not we'll have a massive gang-like meet on the guy's front lawn
Old 08-19-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
It's the guy backing up 's fault. He's probably just saying that to scare your gf if she was alone. That's bS.
Old 08-19-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
that's one of those situations where a digicam is ideal....

my brand new civic coupe LX got rear ended just Friday....[I BOUGHT THE CAR ONLY 1 DAY AGO =( ]

i instantly took out my camera and started to take pictures....
those peeps at first tried to get me to admit blame cause i braked a little hard and they rammed into me....haha nice try, they're supposed to keep a minimum following distance in case of emergencies....

they finally surrendered their retarded act cause they realized it was pointless arguing...i had pictures and it's also a rearender...no doubt it's their fault...

i'm still upset cause my new coupe will lose value even when fixed with OEM parts...

their integra was in pretty bad shape....
hood, all lights, bumper cover, grill, and maybe some engine parts will have to be replaced...their hood wouldn't even open after ramming my car....

Old 08-19-2002
Registered!!

manixc is an unknown quantity at this point
how fast was the integra going? on the digicam

back to main question, did u gf get pics or any witness?
Just place the blame back to the guy? he is backing up so he should have made sure that the rear is clear.
hopefully, icbc will see it this way so that ur gf dont have to pay anything
Old 08-19-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: manixc
how fast was the integra going? on the digicam

back to main question, did u gf get pics or any witness?
Just place the blame back to the guy? he is backing up so he should have made sure that the rear is clear.
hopefully, icbc will see it this way so that ur gf dont have to pay anything[hr]
i'm guessing 40km/h-50km/h before they screeched and hit me...
i also released my brakes therefore increasing stopping time, resulting in less impact...i hit the brakes again when my car went over the crosswalk...

it was probably around 20-30km/h after they braked and they hit...
Old 08-19-2002
Super Hoser

btw, back to original post....

go report this guy to icbc and explain everything that happened...
there should be no questions asked...it's the other guy's fault(unless maybe your GF was driving in the wrong direction in one of those 1 way parking lots)....

there's no way a fender can hit another car and cause that kind of damage..
as long as she still has the other guy's plate number, icbc will force the other guy to bring his car in for a check....if the damage matches, he'll be responsible....

someone once hit my dad and tried not to report it...my dad kept the plate number and the other guy was forced to bring their car into icbc..
Old 08-19-2002
Registered!!

she ended up reporting it to icbc...
seeing all these posts and talking to sum friends made me realize that it's most definitely the other guys fault... i just hope that icbc won't think of a way to blame my gf as well... but she was being safe i.e. not speeding, not going the wrong way, etc.
when she reported it, icbc didn't ask her too many questions... i'm hoping this means that this type of accident is like a touch and go issue with icbc... maybe they automatically assume blame on the guy backing out. who knows...

anyway, she took the car (97 red integra which she had only bought 2 weeks ago) to grandcity autobody and had them inspect it on behalf of icbc. and right now, icbc is just waiting for the other party to make the claim...

hey, i like the idea of a gang-like meet... lets do it sumtime! [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

anywayz, thanks for all the replies
Old 08-19-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: popsiclepete
she ended up reporting it to icbc...
seeing all these posts and talking to sum friends made me realize that it's most definitely the other guys fault... i just hope that icbc won't think of a way to blame my gf as well... but she was being safe i.e. not speeding, not going the wrong way, etc.
when she reported it, icbc didn't ask her too many questions... i'm hoping this means that this type of accident is like a touch and go issue with icbc... maybe they automatically assume blame on the guy backing out. who knows...

anyway, she took the car (97 red integra which she had only bought 2 weeks ago) to grandcity autobody and had them inspect it on behalf of icbc. and right now, icbc is just waiting for the other party to make the claim...

hey, i like the idea of a gang-like meet... lets do it sumtime! [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

anywayz, thanks for all the replies [hr]

DON 'T BRING IT TO ANY EXPRESS REPAIR CENTRE...best to get estimate done at ICBC claim centre cause you can always haggle the guy to raise the maximum cost of repairs....

i took my coupe LX to grandcity today and they told us we need to go to icbc claim centres if we want oem parts cause express centres can't inflate the cost of repairs...

Old 08-20-2002
Registered!!

oh ok.. thanks for the advice...
i told my gf, hoping she'd go the extra mile and try to get a higher maximum repair cost like u said, but she says she doesn't really care if she gets oem parts or not...

*sigh* girls...