Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

Bought the Rims! Done negociating...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Bought the Rims! Done negociating...

Okay, I finally bought the rims today... after a couple of days of on the phone, I brought the price down to $1550, taxes in.

Set of 17" Motegi MR7 Gunmetals
Set of Yokohomma Avid H4 (215/45/17)
Mounting & Balancing Labour
Hardware including Locks

Car definitely feels slower now! But I knew that ahead of time getting into big tires. Looks really great though, really makes a difference coming from 14" hub cabs. I tested the corning on the way home on a twisty country road, and the roadgrip was immance. It was even very stable during mid-corner braking, whereas before, my backend used to get a little excited. The steering responds was a little disappointing, since I couldn't noticed any difference from the 14's.

Surprisingly, the ride quality was improved! Everyone told me going with 17's would hurt the ride quality, but it was the opposite. The bumps I know felt softer, and I couldn't even feel the really tiny bumps. Nothing special about these Yoko tires, but it really tells you the quality of the OEM Firestones!

I'm not sure if I should lower it or not........ I thought it looked okay without lowering, since it doesn't look too floaty from the side view. I guess I will have to go with next month's budget!
Old 05-04-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
yea the ride height is a little higher since u got 215 at 45 so its good still. good to hear u got what u wanted.
yoko's are alright just dont peel out on them alot. u might end up looking for new tires after 2 summers.
hehehehe
good stuff and get some pics up YoOOooo
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

Machina is an unknown quantity at this point
let's see some pics...
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

Can't really peel out with my automatic Actually I can, if I stump on the gas hard enough, but that would be abusing the car!

Sure thing, I will post pics for you guys tomorrow when I get the camera out.. it should be nice and sunny outside too
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

supYO is an unknown quantity at this point
of course the ride was improved hehe you're pimpin it now [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

oldskool is an unknown quantity at this point
ha ha, you are in hamilton right!! see you there....Im spending the day visting my sister....bring your car out to the beach if people go there yet!! ill swing by there
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

VtechChronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
yoko last long... but performance wise... i HEARD (so don't hold it against me) that it's not that great...
Old 05-04-2002
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahaha yoko's are alright....remember hes got auto??
hell i want my tires to last long too. but i also like sticky tires too hehehe[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

VtechChronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
btw.. where did u get them from? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

EHouse is an unknown quantity at this point
good question!
1550 sounds like a good deal, as opposed to a quote for 2g'z for a set i wanted....
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

The place is called Superior Tire & Auto... located on Keele & Lawrence (a bit south of)

Apparently it has been around since the 40's, but did not seem old school at all. I think they started out as a tire and auto service first (hence the name), then grew into the wheels market. They have a quite a bit of selection, including the most popular brands, such as Tenzo R, Konig, Enkei, ADR, Motegi, etc.. At a first glance though, because of the small showroom, it does not compare to Wheels Direct. But I think they have similar, if not the same disturbitor, and the selection should be almost the same.

The first thing I liked about this shop was their service. They were very polite, knowledgeable, and gave you lots of options. They greeted me when I came in, and told me that they would be with me in a minute as soon as a salesperson would be available. Then they asked me which rims I was interested in. They gave me the price, then gave me options to others rims that were similar in style, so I could chose the one that fit in my budget.

Second thing was that they do not push you with no-name tires, such as Nankyangs, or whatever they are called. It seems they only stock major name brands, like Yokohoma, Bridgestone and Michellin.

Original quoted price for my purchase was average at the best, but they were very open to negociations, especially if you let them know that you are very aware of the rim market, and name some of their competitors. It took only brief moments to haggle, but they do everything pleasantly.

I remember walking into Wheels Direct, and walking right out. I would never do business there. I'm sure not everyone has had bad experience there, but I certainly have. It took me 30 minutes to get a salesperson to help me, as I was passed off from one person to another. Then the salesman I got had no clue about prices--actually, he had no clue about some of the rims period, as he did not know which brands some of them were, and consiquently was not able to look up prices for me. And neogociating? Forget about it. He basically gave me the cold shoulder when it came to that.

I would recommand Superior Tire & Auto to anyone. Good prices with good service seems to be a rare gem these days, but these guys have it all. And by the way, no, I don't work there [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] I was just so impressed with how everything went, that I would like to spread the word so shops like that get more business.

Oh and pics are comin tomorrow... my brother stole my camera... or his camera, but whatever... grrrrr
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

oldskool is an unknown quantity at this point
Who helped you out there? they are super nice there thats where i got rims from?? some hottie sold me mine
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

astigmatik is an unknown quantity at this point
01coupe, i hear ya, good service is hard to come by especially in the auto service industry. i would rather pay a little more than have to deal with sh!tty service.

thats a good price price and i'm sure the wheels look sweet on your car. post some pics!
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

2K1SiCDN is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey 01, I just picked up a set of rims, pretty much like yours last week. I got Tenzo R AV7's though, in gun metal too. I got mine used, the rims are in great condition but the rubber's gonna be gone by the end of this summer.

my ride...