Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

Bear spotted in the City.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
909 will become famous soon enough
Bear spotted in the City.

Clicky

" RESIDENTS OF a quiet Markham neighbourhood had a close encounter of the furred kind yesterday.

A 68-kilo bear was discovered wandering in the area of Hwy. 7 and Ninth Line, a residential belt riddled with schools, parks and many families with young children.

After a lengthy chase, the bear was subdued in the backyard of a Colonel Butler Dr. home and is now in the care of the ministry of natural resources.

"He came up from the Rouge Valley looking for some food," York police Const. Steve Jennings said. "Then it gets dark and when he gets into a new area, he gets spooked."

It took police and wildlife officers nearly seven hours to subdue the black and brown beast, as it darted each time it was approached.

This is the second time a bear has been spotted in York Region in recent weeks. On May 23, a 65-kilo male bear was tranquillized by police in Newmarket.

At 7 a.m. yesterday, police received reports about a bear in Reesor Park, on Wootten Way. No property was damaged during the pursuit. By 1:30 p.m., the bear had jumped through several area backyards, before making its way south to forested Amber Glen Park on Empire St.

There, wildlife officers tranquilized the bear and waited several moments for the drug to take effect. The unconscious animal was then transported for species identification and re-introduction into the wild.

ENTERTAINMENT

More than anything, the bear provided entertainment during the sluggish afternoon.

Police tried to contain snap-happy residents hoping to catch a glimpse and picture of the furry creature.

Stephen James, who lives behind Reesor Park, said that when he heard about the bear, he immediately grabbed his video camera to film it.

James, who stands at 6-foot-6, said the bear was taller than him as it stood on its hind legs while he taped from afar.

"I love animals," said James. "I saw it in a backyard and I thought it was kinda cool. I'm a nature nut myself and I've seen them at Algonquin Park going through the garbage, but I never thought I'd see one here."

Long-time resident Gene Friesen, who frequents the forest where the bear was subdued, continued his yard work as police kept curiosity seekers at bay in front of his Empire St. home.

"I'd have to see it to believe it," Friesen said.

But other residents weren't so nonchalant.

Police had just momentarily trapped the bear in a small woodlot in Reesor Park before it darted for Amber Glen Park, when resident Jessica Chiavitti was on her way to take her two children, Jordana, 3, and Siameone, 2, to an adjacent playground.

"It made me feel a bit scared and a little bit excited," said Chiavitti, who visits the park almost every day. "There aren't supposed to be bears (here)."

Ministry of natural resources spokesman Peter Waring suggested that bird feeders, barbecue pits, composters, urban sprawl and a poor growing season could have coaxed the bear into the untraditional habitat in search of food.

Waring added that residents should not be overly afraid but suggested caution around any type of wild animal.

"Keep your distance," Waring said. "(Bears) aren't predatory to mankind and they aren't normally a safety threat, but they are wildlife."

Last edited by 909; 06-12-2005 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added pics and article
Old 06-07-2005
SiG
Registered!!

SiG will become famous soon enoughSiG will become famous soon enough
Wow thats pretty nuts!
Old 06-07-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
yummy... I heard bear meat was good.
Old 06-07-2005
Bush fu(king party,mother fu(king hand job.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Teh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to all
hahaha the caption under the pic is golden.
"A MAN runs alongside a black bear in a park in Markham yesterday, as police and wildlife officials spent the day trying to capture the beast -- the bear, not the man."
Old 06-09-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough

links dead btw