Mid Atlantic Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia

need advice on parking and driving in DC

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
need advice on parking and driving in DC

I'm from near Boston and I'll be taking a road trip this summer in my 2001 HX down through NYC, DC, Busch Gardens, Virginia Beach, Atlantic City and back up to Boston. I'm guessing that parking and driving in Manhattan and Washington DC will be tough. I'm aiming to go down to DC on a Friday sometime in July and stay for 2 nights. There's a hotel right in DC (on K St NW) that costs $76/night on the weekends if you give 3 weeks notice through Travelocity. That special weekend rate is comparable and even better than regular weekend rates at other hotels out by College Park or Silver Springs, which is cool but then I get screwed on parking. It's $24/day to park at the hotel. If someone knows the city really well, please help me explore my options (maybe there is a cheap parking garage a block away??). Also, if anyone has advice for the other destinations on my trip, feel free to chime in. Thanks a bunch from freezing-cold Boston!
Old 01-29-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
My advice is to not drive in DC and take the metro!! haha. DC is really confusing if you don't live there. The streets usually don't go in a block formation like other big cities. I would get a very detailed map of DC and head down there. There are a few people from the N. VA area that might go in often. Might also want to ask Speedracer32, he lives around there.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Thanks, robbclark1, for the advice. I'm thinking of leaving my car in a garage at or near the hotel and walking around the city. Driving would probably suck especially if I don't know the streets well. Then again, if I can handle the streets in Boston (which are twisty and curvy and make no sense at all) then I should be able to handle streets in a gridded city like Washington.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Speedracer32 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeh i wouldn't advise drinving around D.C. without a good map.
parking should be cheaper that 24 dollas
Overnight parking shouldn't be anywhere near 20 overnight and you should be able get into a garage even if its a couple blocks from you hotel. If your car is hooked up i wouldn't park it on the streets. That's why i don't drive to D.C when i go to the club... I let my friends drive
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

curt is an unknown quantity at this point
Exactly what speedracer32 said, dont drive unless you know the city, or have a detailed map, and its not that its confusing but also that the roads are like ****, so you will really mess up your car, I take the metro unless someone else driving. try to keep your car somewhere safe i would pay 24 if it was at the hotel, cuz it should be safe there, and just walk around to where ever.
have fun.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for the info Speedracer32 and curt. My car's not hooked up at all. No mods or aftermarket audio equipment. And I doubt anyone would want to steal a Civic HX CVT. Maybe I'll look into one of the cheaper garages nearby and leave my car there. I like the idea of staying in the city because we only have one day (actually 2 nights, 1 day) to spend there on our roadtrip. I don't want to spend the whole time riding the metro in from somewhere further away.

I'm thinking of checking out Manassas while I'm in the DC area. Has anyone been there? Can you recommend any other places to visit? How about clubs and bars. My friend says The Dubliner is supposed to be a really good Irish pub.
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

ssmshortie will become famous soon enough
gota question for u, why are you gona be checking out manassas? there's not a whole lot in manassas
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

curt is an unknown quantity at this point
My thoughts exactly is this just a big road trip, and have you ever been to DC before. it doesnt matter what car you have they will want to steal it or take the tires or something but just be careful and have fun what ever you decide to do.
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

Two (including myself) of the three people going on this roadtrip are into Civil War battlefields. Last year I went through Gettysburg and I liked it a lot. So this year I figured we'd stop in Manassas because it's close to D.C. There's no Civil War stuff around here; mostly stuff from Colonial times up here. It might be boring to you guys but my friend and I are pretty psyched about it.

By the way Curt, I've been to D.C. twice before, but not in the past 10 years. I've been through the Capitol, the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, Air and Space Museum, Arlington National Cemetery, and all the other usual places. Not sure what I'll check out this time. Depends on what my friends haven't seen. Our roadtrip is going to be 6 days/5 nights (2 nights in D.C., 2 nights down by Virginia Beach, 1 night in Atlantic City). I wouldn't mind doing a longer trip but I don't have much vacation time.

So where can I hang out at night while I'm in D.C.?
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

ssmshortie will become famous soon enough
ok then i'll let u go see manassas battlefield lol thats about the only thing to do in manassas lol i live in woodbridge off i-95 near a big mall called potomac mills mall
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

form3hide is an unknown quantity at this point
man DC is confusing... i was there after one of the mini meets visiting some friends.... i got so lost! all i knew was to head towards new york ave to get back to 495/95
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Try driving in Boston if you think DC is bad. You'll be pulling hairs out of your head trying to figure out where you're going especially with the Big Dig going on. If anyone needs to know about parking or driving in Boston be sure to ask me. I'm there all the time.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: shortie22
ok then i'll let u go see manassas battlefield lol thats about the only thing to do in manassas lol i live in woodbridge off i-95 near a big mall called potomac mills mall[hr]
Thanks shortie! Anything happening in Woodbridge besides the mall?