General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

coupe vs. sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrDisco99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question coupe vs. sedan?

Yes, another damn "choose my next car for me" thread...

Is there much of a difference in handling between the 7th gen coupe and sedan? I'm kinda weighing the pros and cons of each.
Old 06-11-2003
FIJI-STEVE IS THE OFFICIAL 7THGEN QUEER

Civicster should not be trusted
my sedan can load 4 people under 2 second! my sedan can hold more cargo. more banging room in back seat for dem special nites.
Old 06-11-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea but sedan owners get no play with the ladies so it does not matter.
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
Originally posted by sadboy916
haha that's a lie we can fit more laides and the 4dr is lighter for some odd reason
Old 06-11-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice

2drs do look better IMO
Old 06-11-2003
Premium Member & 1 Millionth Poster!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

THEANTIRICEST has disabled reputation
Originally posted by dj02
haha that's a lie we can fit more laides and the 4dr is lighter for some odd reason
MR DISCO99(from EX or LX thread)
however, I also have to carry my 4-year-old in it every once in a while, so a 2 door could end up being a pain. Still, the 2 door looks SO much cooler...
A member named Familyman I think had a sedan and did a lot of autocross with it. So I think you probably could make a few adjustments on your LX sedan to make it handle as well if not better than EX coupe. Not sure exactly what that entails but strut bars are a start.
Old 06-11-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
handling wise from the stock point of view, they are both the same, if not the coupe is slightly better because it has a lower roof, but the sedan wieghs about 100lbs more, so again, its nulled, now if you upgraded the suspension with lowering springs and got new tires instead of those damn firestones, you will be able to take clover leaf on/off ramps at like 50, not that you would want to,

but basically the 4 door gives u an extra 2" of headroom, and the fact that the car seems a little big longer (not by much) and the doors dont weigh as much as on a coupe, because its less of a door where 2+ ppl are going in

but i would like to reiterate that handlingwise, both cars are equal, until u mess with the suspension, then its whoever has the tuned suspension

i prefer the 4 door because it is harder to get away with rice on a sedan then it is for a coupe hahah
Old 06-11-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
sedan...but im bias because i own one

...coupes are everywhere
...more room (people/cargo)
...cheaper insurance
...very easy to sell
...they hold their value

Last edited by FALKEN; 06-11-2003 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2003
The Dude

smoke4 is an unknown quantity at this point
im biased too. sedans look better i think. coupes just look too 'short' to me...
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

HAHAHAHA!!! Good one!
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by WannaBFast
handling wise from the stock point of view, they are both the same, if not the coupe is slightly better because it has a lower roof, but the sedan wieghs about 100lbs more, so again, its nulled, now if you upgraded the suspension with lowering springs and got new tires instead of those damn firestones, you will be able to take clover leaf on/off ramps at like 50, not that you would want to,
I want to! I want to!

That's what driving a sporty compact is all about!

i prefer the 4 door because it is harder to get away with rice on a sedan then it is for a coupe hahah
Heheh... True enough!
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

jamesj is an unknown quantity at this point
new tires instead of those damn firestones, you will be able to take clover leaf on/off ramps at like 50, not that you would want to,
I still have the Firestones on my sedan and take the on/off ramps at around 50mph. I find it fun.
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
The coupe is a nice looking car but not that good looking. I see more sedans than coupes. I see a lot of young girls driving sedans and I see a lot of young girls checking out my sedan.

In any event, it's not about attracting the teeny bopper girls to begin with....

I prefer the sedan for a number of reasons. The car is small enough and the sedan is really the only way to access and use the cars room. It's better for going out with friends since they have their own doors. It's better for work as you can just open the back door and easily hang your coat and load your briefcase or bag. It's much more convenient to just open the rear door and throw that case of beer in than to throw it across the seat or put it in the trunk. It's a heck of a lot easier for my daughter to get in and out.

The sedan is just more practical in the end.

The negatives to the sedan: The rear isn't the prettiest and you have to listen to the teenagers make comments about how the sedan just isn't cool.... lease:
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
what the **** are you getting another civic?
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
expand your horizons.
Old 06-11-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by jamesj
I still have the Firestones on my sedan and take the on/off ramps at around 50mph. I find it fun.
well got suspension mods?
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
It seems like everyone thinks the rear of the sedan looks funny, but to me it the front end that has an odd appearance, or the way the overall profile of the car appears.

I think it is because the front windshield is at a steeper vertical angle and the hood is at a more horizontal level than what would be considered sporty. To me the profile of the sedan reminds me of the car that Mr. Magoo drove, which I think was a 1929 Maxwell. However, from inside this provides great forward viewing area. It seems like that Honda had the Jetta in mind with the styling, however, the Jetta's proportions work better and the fenders, etc, make the Jetta more stylish. Overall, though I like the looks of the sedan and it very functional and I actually like the way the rear of the sedan looks

I've read that the 7th gen coupe is considered to be one of the sportiest Civics made. I am not sure what that means. To me, when I see a Civic coupe, I just see a small car. It could be a Neon or Cavalier or Focus as far as style is concerned. None are really outstanding to me. In fact, I saw a Neon the other day that looked good, but that is another story. Anyway, the sedan and coupe are basically the same, so it doesn't matter that much. One good point about the coupe is that is about $200 less than the sedan, so if you like the coupe better, it is like getting an automatic discount.
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by R3DL1N3
what the **** are you getting another civic?
No, I'm getting my first Civic. I was told to bring any questions I had about them to this site, so here I am.
Old 06-11-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

Originally posted by Roosbok
One good point about the coupe is that is about $200 less than the sedan, so if you like the coupe better, it is like getting an automatic discount.
actually you pay it back with insurance, cause insuring a 2 door is more than insuring a 4 door
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Roosbok
It seems like everyone thinks the rear of the sedan looks funny, but to me it the front end that has an odd appearance, or the way the overall profile of the car appears.

I think it is because the front windshield is at a steeper vertical angle and the hood is at a more horizontal level than what would be considered sporty. To me the profile of the sedan reminds me of the car that Mr. Magoo drove, which I think was a 1929 Maxwell. However, from inside this provides great forward viewing area. It seems like that Honda had the Jetta in mind with the styling, however, the Jetta's proportions work better and the fenders, etc, make the Jetta more stylish. Overall, though I like the looks of the sedan and it very functional and I actually like the way the rear of the sedan looks

I've read that the 7th gen coupe is considered to be one of the sportiest Civics made. I am not sure what that means. To me, when I see a Civic coupe, I just see a small car. It could be a Neon or Cavalier or Focus as far as style is concerned. None are really outstanding to me. In fact, I saw a Neon the other day that looked good, but that is another story. Anyway, the sedan and coupe are basically the same, so it doesn't matter that much. One good point about the coupe is that is about $200 less than the sedan, so if you like the coupe better, it is like getting an automatic discount.
See, I think they look totally different. The coupe definitely has a sportier look to it... more so than the sedan as well as previous generation Civics. Its lower circular roofline definitely helps. The sedan, on the other hand, looks like... a Volkswagen.
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

konstanting is an unknown quantity at this point
i got a coupe. i like my coupe. i also like sedans, but i like my couple better. i do because i already own it. it would be stupid to hate it. it would also be silly to dislike it.
in my coupe i have a rule. the rule is "passenger enter on the passenger site". DUH!
i go to college. its a 15 minutes drive. i dont have a pessenger. my bookbag i put on the pessenger seat. would suck to get out of my car and open the rear to get my bookbag.

i think tho that both cars look good.
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

misio4 is an unknown quantity at this point
"I still have the Firestones on my sedan and take the on/off ramps at around 50mph. I find it fun. "

And you don't slide? My Firestones sucked so mych with traction its unbelievable. But they are quieter then my 17's
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

Civicccc will become famous soon enoughCivicccc will become famous soon enough
Coupe = better looking
Sedan = cheaper insurance

Those are the strongest points i can make.
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

RoadRunner is an unknown quantity at this point
SEDANS ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Yeah. I sometimes think why didnt I get a sedan, it would be so much easier some times when i have 3 other friends in the car. BUT, I dont like the looks of the sedan (though i must say it has grown on me a little). I love my coupe, and if I had the choice, I would get another one. If i was going to get a 4door I would have looked at the accord and not the civic.

Summary: I would get a COUPE again.
Old 06-12-2003
banned from avatar useage

luvvegas777 is an unknown quantity at this point
coupe= no head rest monitors
sedan=

Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
sedans are just ugly though just go with a coupe you wont regret it
Old 06-12-2003
banned from avatar useage

luvvegas777 is an unknown quantity at this point
if they brought back the si as a coupe, then coupe
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

Amplify is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's my two cents:

Coupes are sportier, but I just really hate crawling into the backseat of a coupe. I much rather have my own door, so keep that in mind if you're going to have people constantly riding in your backseat. Think of their comfort. LOL!

Then again, maybe I'm bias, but I don't thinking the styling on the sedans are bad. The '03 come with new tail lights. Someone did say it though, the sedans seriously remind me of the Jettas sometimes and by now way do I think the Jettas are bad looking.

In the end, it's your choice.
Old 06-12-2003
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
Originally posted by djmota

2drs do look better IMO

you mean way better???
yeah, that's what I thought.
4 dr looks ok, except for the tail lights.

Quick Reply: coupe vs. sedan?