General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Horsepower, and Automatic vs Manual transimission's...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Question Horsepower, and Automatic vs Manual transimission's...

Just wondering something. Is there usually more power loss through an automatic transimission vs a manual, or is it the same? If it's not, why is that?
Old 04-29-2003

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
because manual is more cool
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
gearing, time to shift gears, and other things make the time differnce between the autos and manuals.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Ok so it's slower shifting in an auto, that's known, but does that mean it loses more hp through the transmission? or is it just slower accelerating?
Old 04-29-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
well automatics use a hydromatic torque converter and manuals use an actual plate that physically transferrs the rotation from the crank shaft to the gearbox so there probablly is more hp loss
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Oooh ok, but it's not THAT much more loss is it?

Does anyone know how much hp the Si (EX in the US) puts out at the wheels?
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Majarvis
Oooh ok, but it's not THAT much more loss is it?

Does anyone know how much hp the Si (EX in the US) puts out at the wheels?
Horsepower figures are generally 15% loss to the wheels with a manual transmission. And an EX 5spd owns a Automatic, if you get or have an automatic dont expect your car to ever be fast.
Old 04-29-2003
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
gosh all u hate autos.. well my auto has beaten 5speed lx's and ex's.. there are people on this site that have seen me.. and a auto shifts faster then a stick
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Your joking right spider??? you think a automatic tranny shifts faster than a manual tranny???

I'll agree with you, the auto shifts faster than some people but there are some people that are able to make a shift quicker with a 5spd than with a auto. It may not be as smooth as a auto but it is faster. Also if you think about it the transitition of the shifts from gear to gear in a automatic is almost always slower than the transitition of shifting gears in a 5spd.
Old 04-29-2003
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
u have never been in a fast auto have u.. thats very sad.. u see when u own a shop and u work on cars u see these things call actual fast cars which include autos... example.. a 89 chevy truck w/ a stage 2 shift kit.. shifts instanly between gears... an expert driver can shift gears in .22-.26 seconds.. the auto does it in .08
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Spider883
u have never been in a fast auto have u.. thats very sad.. u see when u own a shop and u work on cars u see these things call actual fast cars which include autos... example.. a 89 chevy truck w/ a stage 2 shift kit.. shifts instanly between gears... an expert driver can shift gears in .22-.26 seconds.. the auto does it in .08
spider is correct!!!

Injen
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Ok guys calm down here, I didn't intend to start a flame fest. So if the power loss through the transmission in a manual is about 15%, an automatic would be about maybe 20%? Or not that much?

Anyway, putting aside that a manual is faster or whatever, it doesn't mean an automatic isn't fun.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, I modded my previous car's automatic transmission. Shifting between gears was nearly instant. At WOT, 2nd gear engagement was enough to give whiplash to the driver. Damn I miss that car.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

01SOHCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Spider883
ROFL, still owning people I see
Nothings changed lol
BTW spider hows your car comin along? got new pics?
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

You might want to check out the HX's CVT. Automatic functionality without the loss caused by the torque converter in a normal auto. A couple CVTs here have beat 5-speed EXs.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by PESTLNC
Yes, I modded my previous car's automatic transmission. Shifting between gears was nearly instant. At WOT, 2nd gear engagement was enough to give whiplash to the driver. Damn I miss that car.
How did you do that? Is it easy or hard to do?
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Now your talking different things, shift kits are not standard or stock options on most vehicles.....The way the person asking the question was talking, he wanted to know stock for stock. Yes definetely aftermarket transmissions, and aftermarket transmission add-ons can make a automatic faster than a manual, that is no argument, but stock for stock not all autos are faster than manuals.

And for the record I used to work for a speed shop called Speed Inc. based out of Schaumburg, IL located right off the Elgin O'Hare expressway, so I do know about fast cars.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Also does it affect reliability any?
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

How did you do that? Is it easy or hard to do?
It was actually fairly easy, but I had very good directions and had learned from someone beforehand. This was on a Ford AODE. Honda's are supposidly much more difficult. Level 10 will do it for you, but you have to mail them your valve body.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Oh I see, ok.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Also does it affect reliability any?
Yes and no. Reliability for the transaxle should improve due to less heat build-up. Quicker shifts equals less friction. The fast shifts, however, will put more strain on the differential and axles.
Old 04-29-2003
Samoan<^>(-_-)<^>Power

krayziebonet4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by PESTLNC
You might want to check out the HX's CVT. Automatic functionality without the loss caused by the torque converter in a normal auto. A couple CVTs here have beat 5-speed EXs.
Like me for example
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Must be nice. For some reason Honda chose not to sell the CVT's here in Canada

Can someone tell me what they sound like? Because I mean I wonder, seeing as it's only like one gear, so does it rev up like a normal car, or is it just a constant sound? I have no clue what I'm talking about as you can see
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Sounds just like a car driving around in 1st gear...but with the RPMs going up much more slowly. There's no drop-off in the exhaust note because there are no shifts.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Cool. So it accelerates at the speed of a 5-speed, but the ease of an automatic, cool. I wonder why they don't sell them in Canada...?
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto and sticks both have thier place. Auto's are used in drag racing because they shift quicker. Manuals are used in road courses because you have more control over how much power is being delivered to the wheels. I myself drive a 5speed because it's just more fun. Untill I have to sit in traffick..then I wish I had an auto. I test drove the mazda6 with the sport auto shifter..that seemed like a decent compromise between the two. But on a stock vehicle..a 5 speed will usually (and I strees usually menaing not always) take an automatic with the same powerplant.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

True.

So if there is roughly a 15% power loss through a manual tranny, what would it be through an auto?
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

If I remember correctly, the auto's on our cars sap roughly 25% of the power. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Damn! That's not cool at all. That's 10% more than the manuals.
Old 04-29-2003
9K Redline Owns U

manual = 9-13% loss and auto = 15-19% loss.. loss changes from gear to gear and how worn clutch and pressure plate in manual

Quick Reply: Horsepower, and Automatic vs Manual transimission's...