General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Manual or Automatic and why ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xe2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
MANUAL... cause it's should be only way to drive and not knowing how to drive manual is like dying virgin..gotta experience manual.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
manual for all the reasons above and before.
bad thing about it is you cant ALWAYS look 'smooth' when you want... mabe im just not good enuf. Also it is very had for me to go slow, like thu the dryer at the car wash. how the hell would someone drive a stick in a parade??? it baffels me.
stick makes it feel like your driving, most people dont know how to do it therefor making you look good, and it kicks auto *** in little races
Old 03-21-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Dr5D
manual for all the reasons above and before.
bad thing about it is you cant ALWAYS look 'smooth' when you want... mabe im just not good enuf. Also it is very had for me to go slow, like thu the dryer at the car wash. how the hell would someone drive a stick in a parade??? it baffels me.
stick makes it feel like your driving, most people dont know how to do it therefor making you look good, and it kicks auto *** in little races
To go slow just leave it in second and give it no/very light gas....car wont buck, and goes slow. I got a manual because the auto just dogs on a civic, and it definately feels more like you're driving the car instead of the car just taking you along for a ride.
Old 03-21-2003
#1 S2000 Fan

ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic is for people who can't drive stick, don't want to learn and don't ENJOY driving!

Manual is for the driver who likes to have control of the car and has fun driving his slow or fast car. Manual is just so much better, Automatic is just too boring, and its easy to zone out while driving. When you drive stick you are always paying attention.....
Old 03-21-2003
All show!!!

EviLMyStS is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by ViNRoCk8
Automatic is for people who can't drive stick, don't want to learn and don't ENJOY driving!

Manual is for the driver who likes to have control of the car and has fun driving his slow or fast car. Manual is just so much better, Automatic is just too boring, and its easy to zone out while driving. When you drive stick you are always paying attention.....
That's pretty much true, I had an automatic before this car and was always anxious to drive a manual and ever since I loved it and would avoid to drive an auto every chance I get... It's fun, more control over the car, better gas mileage... looks very aggresive if someone peeked into your car. It's basically very cool to top it all off, and it feels like you're really driving and controlling something from gear to gear.... I'm teaching my g/f to drive a manual soon once she gets her license. Nothing turns me on more than a girl driving a stick for more perverted reasons than others

Last edited by EviLMyStS; 03-21-2003 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

jungleboogie is an unknown quantity at this point
i commute and i get stuck in traffic so i got an auto... no traffic i would have preferred stick... but i'm stuck in traffic almost everyday... so i went with auto... didn't feel like sitting there and going in and out of first to drive a few feet at a time =P
Old 03-21-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enoughCivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enough
Auto so you can hold a beer in one hand and a clip youe toenalis with the other. J/K I don't drink and I don't drive auto. I do clip my toenails though but not while driving, lol
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

hankscorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic, cause my parents helped me get it and it was at the end of the 2001 clearance and they had no manuals left
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
MANUAL all the way, i learned manual on my dads honda accord 1998, when i was 14 and had my permit and ever since, im hooked on manuals, and like everyone says, girls dig guys who can work there stick well, and can control it, autos just cant take responsibility when they screw up, haha

p.s. also got it so that my mom and sisters could not take my car when they wanted too, cuz they cant drive stick, and plus i paid for my new car!!!! its mine, its what i want, haha
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by WannaBFast
but there are some really good arguments for a stick.... BETTER GAS MILEAGE

cheaper to fix....
and 17yr olds cant steal ur car....
Better gas mileage only if you drive it properly, but if you're gonna shift at 4000+ rpms
you're going to use more gas, and if you downshift alot causing the engine to be
constantly high revving you're going to use more gas too.
Old 03-21-2003
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
AUTOMATIC:

1. It's a daily driver. Stop and Go traffic is a pain in the ***.

2. One hand on the wheel, one hand on the wifey's booby.

3. I didn't pay 16k for this thing to have me do the shifting for it. Piece a **** better do all the damn work on it's own.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Lianjie is an unknown quantity at this point
stick ... more power out of the already powerless car we got
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by fraga
AUTOMATIC:

1. It's a daily driver. Stop and Go traffic is a pain in the ***.

2. One hand on the wheel, one hand on the wifey's booby.

3. I didn't pay 16k for this thing to have me do the shifting for it. Piece a **** better do all the damn work on it's own.
in other words.. you can't drive stick.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
I've driven both and I prefer auto over manual cuz you basically have a free hand and its a pain driving in traffic or putting it in nutruel on a hill & stuff like that.
Old 03-21-2003
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
In my case auto becuase:
I basically live in my car. When I'm on long trips and have to stop at a fast food place I'll just go to the drive thru and keep driving; one hand on my food the other on the wheel.
Also when get stuck in those places where you are stop, going 5mph then stoped again then all of a sudden 65mph on the highway auto is better.

It all depends on your needs.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
Manual for me. Driving options are endless. You can drive hard at high rpms or soft at low rpms. It's just more fun to drive. After driving a 5spd, you can't go back to auto.
As for the gas milage thing...it all depends on the driving style. I'm getting worse milage then my friend's 02 auto civic.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Definitely a manual over auto any day. After having a couple of automatics go out on me, I'll never buy another one. Manuals have less internal moving parts which usually means more reliablity. I'd rather replace a clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing every 100K or more then have to buy a new/rebuilt automatic that might go out on me again.

As long as I can drive a manual I'll never go back to an auto. Plus they sound better with an exhaust system
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I am 25 and have had a manual for about 8 out of my driving years.

I just like it better and just enjoy shifting. You have more control over the engine.

I had an auto v6 that was nice but I still prefer the manual. I find it very boring and tiresome to just sit there and press the pedal. It is nice to drive an auto from time to time. I just drive the wife's when I feel like an auto.

In short, I just enjoy shifting. I think I'll be shifting when I am 40 if we still can.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

ngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trustedngophat should not be trusted
driving with 1 hand means you only have 50% turning capabilities (as compared to using both hands)
Old 03-21-2003
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by fraga
AUTOMATIC:

WORD! i am like so into this technology thing.
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

AdReNALiNePuMp is an unknown quantity at this point
since this is about manuals and automatics, my friend wants to know what his chances are against a LX 2door manual with aftermarket rims(not the lightest or heaviest ones) with no engine mods....my buddy has a 4door auto LX with no mods either. Forgive me if this question has been asked several times. I'm a newbie here...just signed on today. hehe
Old 03-21-2003
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual: It's fun, cheap, and keeps you aware on the road. Plus, yeah, chicks dig it..
Old 03-21-2003
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto. I tried driving stick, the stick was okay, but I got tired of stepping down on the clutch over and over.
Old 03-22-2003
Premium Member

kempster will become famous soon enoughkempster will become famous soon enough
Auto cause the drive and traffic is horrible plus i got a manual car to drive when i feel the need
Old 03-22-2003
Registered!!

azure is on a distinguished road
I drive an auto... which was a BIG MISTAKE because I get bored and tired during the one hour driving to work and the one hour driving home... IN TRAFFIC!

I rather have manual to keep me awake during traffic... because it's fun to drive! I know you might think it's worse during traffic, but the manual transmission in our Vics are sooo smooth (I drove my cousins 5spd 7th gen vic) compared to my dads 88 Nissan pickup truck.

BUT, having an auto does have its advantages... which was mentioned in the previous posts.

Oh, and about the gas thing... wouldn't it depend on how you drive (especially if you have a manual)? Just thinking.
Old 03-22-2003
Registered!!

coldblood is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually owns an automatic but this is just because when I bought my car
I didn't know how to drive a manual. But now I know and prefered the manual.
Better gas mileage and stronger car movement.
Old 03-22-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
MANUAL all the way! Much more fun to drive and showoff with.

What gets me is the people with an AUTO who still shift it into D2, D3 etc as they gas up.

If the AUTO is so great as some of you all say, then why do a lot or members do the conversion to make thier POS Auto look like a Manual? BECAUSE IT"S BETTER!!!

You always threads about people wishing they got a manual instead of an auto. Gee, I wonder why......

Anyways. I used to drive a Trans AM with was an auto. It sucked to have that great engine with no control over it. From now on I will drive stick till i die.
Old 03-22-2003
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
manuals look clean-- that's why i got the shift boot. I would still rather have the car do the work for me. again, some people just don't care about performance all I want are good looks. when you have people putting their car in neutral at stoplights, thats someone wanting a manual

I don't really understand the purpose of D3, but i use 2nd gear alot in the winter so i don't spin out trying to accelerate from a traffic light in snowy/icy conditions.
Old 03-22-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
I think Mex so far has the best reasons for owning an Auto.
Old 03-22-2003
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
auto cuz my dad wont let me drive stick

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic and why ?