General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

So I rented a Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZRPM is an unknown quantity at this point
So I rented a Grand Prix

[Rant]
What a total POS this thing is. No refinement at all. And the turn signal has too many controls on it, High/Low beam, Cruise, washer and wiper. GM is trying to create the 'superstock' but what a friggin monstrosity. The stereo buttons all look like they were molded for a toy. Actually, all the buttons look like they were molded for a playschool toy. The steering wheel won't tilt into a proper position. I either didn't see the top of the guages, or felt like I was driving a bus... The heater is a friggin control panel, all the buttons are bunched together and you have to keep taking your eyes off the road to make sure you are hitting the right button (What's up with dual zone anyways? I can't see the point until they have a wall between the passenger and driver). It was also either way too hot, or way too cool. Not enough fan/temprature settings to get a comfortable level. Never a problem in my EL.

The seats were crap, I felt like I was sitting on an old couch. No support.

This gutless POS handled like crap too. For a big car, it drifted all over the place, and never felt planted.

And, to top it all off, the car did not defrost for the whole 4 hour drive each way. I tried everything to get more than the windshield and rear window to defrost, but the driver/passenger and rear side windows would not clear. This was with one person. With 3-4 people, it would be even worse.

Do people actually buy this crap? I always thought the Acura 1.7EL was not the best quality, but damn, I was so happy to get outta that junk on wheels. I have new appreciation for Honda/Acura and other Japanese cars.

[/Rant]

Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slystad810 is an unknown quantity at this point
GM is known for their cheap plastic parts...Especially Pontiac!
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for reminding us how junky domestics are!

at one point in my life i had a saturn[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG] well i crashed that racing, but thats besides the poit. it was also made by GM and my friends called the a snap together car, tho not so funny at the time now it is[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2003

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: ZRPM
So I rented a Grand Prix[hr]
you had me right there.
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

SOHCScreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
2 words:

TRAY SLIDES!!!

and get it on vid. destroy the bitch!! [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, my buddy has one. Rattles like a ****, no quality... he's fixing some little thing every month. Its quick (GTP) but I wouldn't ever buy a GM. I think they're about the worst made cars on the road. I would buy a Ford though. That's just me.
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
at least you didnt have to drive a rental focus for about a month. NOW thats crap!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

gliph is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, so i have a funny story about having a grand am also. my civic was in the shop (someone decided to back out of a parking spot and f up the ENTIRE left side) and i had a rental car for a few weeks....

so yeah, american made POS. the interior is bigger than the civic, but it seemed so much more cramped... anyway, that's not the funny part of this story... i'm driving on the highway at like 2a.m., its really snowy and icy, i'm just going slow, don't feel like crashing a rental car... WELL.... that isn't what happens... i go to change lanes, hit a patch of ice and put it into the center concrete median... oops![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] well, i ended up doing a 360 on the highway and the rear end went into the median... i wish i had a scanner so i could show a pic. i'm not saying this is a good thing, and it was definitely not cool at the time (happened on christmas day), but since we are bashing american cars i thought i'd throw my .02 in and say i did MY part as a proud civic owner...

NOW GET OUT THERE AND DO YOUR PART!!! j/k... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2003
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
my mom owns a grand am, and its nice, i think the grand prix is a pos , but the grand am is nice
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i would definitely buy a domestic... if it was a truck.
Old 03-10-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
haha. i just got a pos ford focus today. i think its faster then my civic lx auto... shrug. but its a ford! tomorrow there is going to be some tray sliding[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] ill record it and put it on video!
Old 03-10-2003
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
u should have rented the GTP.. great engine
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
uhh well i respect ur opinion about the car but pretty much everything you said you also find in the civic... the seats suck *** in the civic cause they rock... the defroster ***** get loose after a while. the air conditioning takes forver to work and when it does work it smells like s**t in the car.. the paint on the hondas also sucks it peels like no tomorrow and the cars made out of a tin can.. it dents like there is no tomorrow. PLUS IT ALSO HAS NO POWER!!!

i have both the civic and the Grand Prix and i think its a better constructed car then the civic is because i havent had any problems with my grand prix, ive had it for less time and it has more millege on it then the civic does and its been nothing but a great expericene. the civic on the other hand is a complete joke its been in the shop for over 65 days in 2 years.. thats what i call HONDA QUALITY.... im all for imports but i think honda messed up on our cars big time.. take a look at the pics.. its a bad *** car... you should try getting the fully loaded gtp like mine and then test drive it. rentals are usually abused and are not taken care of well....

but 127hp Vs. 240hp supercharged.... no comparision.
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
My mother-in-law's gtp has had countless problems including TWO transmissions. She is about 55 so it's not she is ragging the hell out of the car. The interior does lack refinement and has an overall cheap look to at as american cars do in general. It is fast and fun to drive but definately not a car that should be compared to a civic. They're not in the same class nor meant for the same purpose.

Importracer: Comparing the quality of a pontiac to a honda is a debate that is going to be completely one sided and quite honestly, ridiculous. Sorry you get a pos but it doesn't reflect honda in general.
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
My mother-in-law's gtp has had countless problems including TWO transmissions. She is about 55 so it's not she is ragging the hell out of the car. The interior does lack refinement and has an overall cheap look to at as american cars do in general. It is fast and fun to drive but definately not a car that should be compared to a civic. They're not in the same class nor meant for the same purpose.

Importracer: Comparing the quality of a pontiac to a honda is a debate that is going to be completely one sided and quite honestly, ridiculous. Sorry you get a pos but it doesn't reflect honda in general.[hr]
okay well, my family has 3 other hondas, yes they have been nothing but good to us, but..... the civic is one POS... if you look in the vehicle problems fourm you will notice numerous people who have had tranny problems with their civics!! ITs a civic with 127hp not like the tranny has alot of power going to it like the supercharged 240hp GTP. the interior does lack refinement on the domestics but thats just the way it is. I know about 10 other people with GTPs and they havent had any problems eaither. I know 8 other people with the new year civics and they have had nothing but one problem after another, rattles, paint, trannys, engine, exhaust, suspension.. sorry dude im totally accepting your guys opinions but you cant rag on other cars just because you drove it once, or you know someone.. LOOK AT THE CIVIC UR DRIVING... ITS JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE. I dont pick sides but it sure sounds like you guys are. and maybe i should expect that since im on a civic fourm but those are my 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE]Quote
[hr]Originally posted by: Importracer
My mother-in-law's gtp has had countless problems including TWO transmissions.

LOOK AT THE CIVIC UR DRIVING... ITS JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE. [hr]
WERD, my mother came and picked me up in her GTP when my '01 was in the shop for windows going off the track, the evap dumping fuel on the ground, the tranny kept comming out of second gear, the loose seat, and rattles up the butt - not to mention the cracked foglights and weak sychros in the 02 replacement for the last POS.

www.shutthefup

don't be a hater just because the L67 can school your Azz
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

[QUOTE]Quote
[hr]Originally posted by: mattskav
My mother-in-law's gtp has had countless problems including TWO transmissions.

LOOK AT THE CIVIC UR DRIVING... ITS JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE. [hr]
WERD, my mother came and picked me up in her GTP when my '01 was in the shop for windows going off the track, the evap dumping fuel on the ground, the tranny kept comming out of second gear, the loose seat, and rattles up the butt - not to mention the cracked foglights and weak sychros in the 02 replacement for the last POS.

www.shutthefup

don't be a hater just because the L67 can school your Azz[hr]
finally someone that knows that they are taking about!
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point

Importracer: Comparing the quality of a pontiac to a honda is a debate that is going to be completely one sided and quite honestly, ridiculous. Sorry you get a pos but it doesn't reflect honda in general.[hr]
okay well, my family has 3 other hondas, yes they have been nothing but good to us, but..... the civic is one POS... if you look in the vehicle problems fourm you will notice numerous people who have had tranny problems with their civics!! ITs a civic with 127hp not like the tranny has alot of power going to it like the supercharged 240hp GTP. the interior does lack refinement on the domestics but thats just the way it is. I know about 10 other people with GTPs and they havent had any problems eaither. I know 8 other people with the new year civics and they have had nothing but one problem after another, rattles, paint, trannys, engine, exhaust, suspension.. sorry dude im totally accepting your guys opinions but you cant rag on other cars just because you drove it once, or you know someone.. LOOK AT THE CIVIC UR DRIVING... ITS JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE. I dont pick sides but it sure sounds like you guys are. and maybe i should expect that since im on a civic fourm but those are my 2 cents.[hr]
Umm..Let's have a 2 way adult conversation here. There is no reason to get all huffy and puffy. As for for driving the car once, I have been with my wife for 8 years and out of those 8, my mother-in-law has had that gtp for 5 of them. She curses the car herself.

You know, I am not having this conversation. Have fun in that GTP.
Old 03-10-2003
Registered!!

okay well, my family has 3 other hondas, yes they have been nothing but good to us, but..... the civic is one POS... if you look in the vehicle problems fourm you will notice numerous people who have had tranny problems with their civics!! ITs a civic with 127hp not like the tranny has alot of power going to it like the supercharged 240hp GTP. the interior does lack refinement on the domestics but thats just the way it is. I know about 10 other people with GTPs and they havent had any problems eaither. I know 8 other people with the new year civics and they have had nothing but one problem after another, rattles, paint, trannys, engine, exhaust, suspension.. sorry dude im totally accepting your guys opinions but you cant rag on other cars just because you drove it once, or you know someone.. LOOK AT THE CIVIC UR DRIVING... ITS JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE. I dont pick sides but it sure sounds like you guys are. and maybe i should expect that since im on a civic fourm but those are my 2 cents.[hr]
Umm..Let's have a 2 way adult conversation here. There is no reason to get all huffy and puffy. As for for driving the car once, I have been with my wife for 8 years and out of those 8, my mother-in-law has had that gtp for 5 of them. She curses the car herself.

You know, I am not having this conversation. Have fun in that GTP.[hr]
no one is getting all huffy and puffy, you just gotta realize that hondas can be just as bad as domestics... You keep thinking hondas up on the list but they have their ups and downs just like any car maker.
Old 03-11-2003
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd take my parents GTP anyday over my POS civic. Only reason I bought it was because the price I got was ridiculous. I'm glad I got a lease because there's no way in hell I'm buying the thing out.
I know I'll never buy a civic again and most likely never another honda