General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

For the fools using Higher octane gas...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
For the fools using Higher octane gas...

Don't waste your money on Premium gas
by Phil Bailey - Canadian Driver Feb 2002

Last week, regular gasoline hit a price of 88 cents a litre in Montreal. This is the equivalent of $2.35 a gallon in the USA. When I drove up to the regular, low priced gas pump to fill the tank of my 1986 VW Golf winter car, there was a Ford Excursion down the row pumping in premium fuel. After the Monster Truck drove away, I asked the attendant how much the owner had paid for gas. $77 he said!

My reaction was not of sympathy for the Excursion owner, who can afford these prices after paying nearly $60,000 for his truck. No, what struck me instantly was that my little Golf would have cost me that kind of money for a fill up in Europe. That made my credit card amount of $35 easier to swallow.

However, next up at the premium pump was a 1988 Pontiac 6000 with a 2.8 litre V6 engine, a sagging right rear spring and a hood held shut with electrical wire.

Why this driver was buying premium fuel might have been a mystery, if I had not already asked that question many times, only to find two standard answers. First, "I need to have a car that starts well in Winter" and secondly "I get better gas mileage". Unfortunately, neither of these statements can be verified in real life.

They are delusions.

Sure, if you own a Porsche Turbo or a Ferrari Enzo, you may need a high grade of fuel, but 90% of the cars I see using "high test" are wasting their money.

First, the only thing that can guarantee a clean start on a cold morning is a first class tune-up and an engine with reasonable compression. Secondly, there are more BTU's in a pound of regular gas than in a premium grade - more in diesel fuel, more in home heating oil and so on down the scale to number 6 marine bunker fuel. The more you refine crude oil, the less energy it contains. The world could save 12% of it's reserves by using nothing more refined than diesel oil. "Better mileage" is the one thing you won't get.

Mostly, oil companies charge a 15% premium for their highest grades. A 15% increase in my fuel economy would make me very happy, but even then, I would only be breaking even. If you can find your owner's manual, read what grade of fuel is recommended by the manufacturer, you may be very surprised. Even then, your very sophisticated, on board engine management computer, has a device connected to it that is called a knock sensor. In effect, this is a little microphone that senses when an engine may be suffering from pre-ignition and will make adjustments to the engine accordingly.

So try a tank full of regular gas. If it works well, why not use it and save some money?

If your older car develops ping, let a garage take a look at doing an internal carbon clean. A cheap and easy process that cleans carbon from the combustion chambers.

Someone is always trying to organise a "buy no gas" protest and I don't doubt there's another one coming to my e-mail address very soon. However, a complete and total boycott of premium fuel will make the point much more clearly and effectively.

Personally, I think our eleven governments are getting away with a major deceit here, because every time the cost of fuel rises they take a bigger and bigger cut. If you take a look at the "pie plate" sticker on the gas pumps these days that shows who is profiting the most from gas prices, the two levels of government are by far the biggest beneficiaries. On average, the gas station owner may get 3 cents, if he is lucky.

Oh and by the way, if you want to start saving even more money, stop using all those additives in every fluid used in your car - many of them are not doing you any good either! Gas line anti-freeze in the winter is not a bad idea and an occasional injector cleaner may be of limited use, but if you're an additive junky, now is the time to kick your habit and start saving money on your total fuel costs.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
im stilling running the 89 or 83 or whatever it is. like 1.59 downt he street, in phillyits lik 1.65 just outside the city. bet itslike 175 in the city
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

PatrickB is an unknown quantity at this point
i always use 93+ octane, then again i haft to [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

watewate is an unknown quantity at this point
for crying out loud, our cars are civics.... anything over 87 is just unnecessary...
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

klam is an unknown quantity at this point
n00dleboy, well said. I think the consumer is very misinformed on this issue and it is costing them dearly, especially in these times of inflated fuel prices.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the article as well. It is unessicary to use the higher grade all the time. But when the prices drop from time to time, I like to go for the good stuff for the car as a treat. There are reasons that they do make the higher grades for vehicles and well if you use it every once in awhile you can get the bennifit of it and still save your money.

Just my $0.02

Later

Crashoveride
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I just stick with Chevron mid-grade(89 octane). The 10 cents a gallon difference over 87 octane isnt going to break my bank. Since we have a 13 gallon tank, even if I had to fill it up completely it would only be a $1.30 more.
Old 02-17-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

rasper is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: watewate
for crying out loud, our cars are civics.... anything over 87 is just unnecessary...[hr]
I'd have to agree... The manual for our cars reccommends 87 oct... and with prices going up I'll stick with the cheap stuff

Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Rasper
for crying out loud, our cars are civics.... anything over 87 is just unnecessary...[hr]
I'd have to agree... The manual for our cars reccommends 87 oct... and with prices going up I'll stick with the cheap stuff

[hr]
Yea, it does recommend 87oct, or better in that manual. I use the Premium stuff in my car...i dont care about prices cause i dont pay for my gas (thanks Dad), no im not some snobby rich kid...my dad just thinks i have better things to spend my money on then gas for my car. Does he mind? Not at all. So why not? Its not like its gonna hurt my car any...might seem "unnecessary" to some, but thats just your own opinion, and this is mine.
Cheers

Old 02-17-2003
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
I have to use 89 or higher since my ignition timing is advanced 5 degerees. If I were to use 87 octane, I could hear some pinging.
2 bucks for the extra grade gas is not a problem.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Civicccc will become famous soon enoughCivicccc will become famous soon enough

[hr]
We need to just call it lower octane. Its not the cheap stuff anymore.
Old 02-17-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I agree. I almost always use 87 coz thats what is recommended for the car. I figure Honda might know a thing or two about the cars they make. If the prices are low enough to where premium is what the 87 is usually at, I'll get premium. Like that guy said, as a treat. But I don't think my car will be getting any treats gas-wise any time soon.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
as long as your not filling up in like arco then 87 oct should be okay. better stick with chevron or texaco and the likes, cause you'll regret it if you don't, trust me.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: kjgracing
I have to use 89 or higher since my ignition timing is advanced 5 degerees. If I were to use 87 octane, I could hear some pinging.
2 bucks for the extra grade gas is not a problem.[hr]
^ But it all adds up. Especially down here in Southern California, where the lowerest grade gas, 87 [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG], cost around $1.83 these past few days.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
I always thought unless you had ecu modifiactions like the jet chip, that you would actually get something extra out of a higher octane fuel...
Old 02-17-2003
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
You don't get anymore energy out of the higher octane. It only helps when you have high compression that requires it. If you haven't modded your compression or timing, quit pissing away your money. I work with the guys who refine gasolines and mid-grade is provided so they can get an extra buck or two from you every tank full. Spend that money on stickers instead. That for sure will make you faster...
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
That guy isn't a very good writer. I hope this is not a major Canadian publication.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Your point being? May not be a great writer in your eyes, but i'd sure take his professional experience and knowledge about cars. I'm also willing to be his knowledge about cars surpasses yours.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point

[hr]
Actually, our manuals say we can even use 86 octane. For those of you who know that there's a manual that goes with our cars (and can actually find it), it's on Page 162: "Your Honda is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 86 or higher."

And what's wrong with Arco gas? I've been using it since arriving in San Diego, and my car has never been smoother. Mileage has been consistently 33-35 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. With prices as high as they are, being able to pay $0.10 less at Arco compared to those so-called "premium" places is a bonus, especially since I'm not free-loading off my parents.

And again, like somebody said above, we drive CIVICS... NOT Ferraris. Even if it was inferior (which there is no proof of), I don't think using 87 octane Arco gas is going to hurt a Honda engine that was built to run on 86 octane.

Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: n00dleboy
Your point being? May not be a great writer in your eyes, but i'd sure take his professional experience and knowledge about cars. I'm also willing to be his knowledge about cars surpasses yours.[hr]
My point being, his writing undermines my willingness to believe his "professional experience". That is why people learn to write effectively, because the more sophisicated it is the more integrity one builds. This, however, makes me believe he is writing from a small-time magazine, thus does not hold as much weight if it were from a large widely distributed publication.

I do however agree with the arguement.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
[hr][i]Originally posted by: Ronin
And what's wrong with Arco gas? I've been using it since arriving in San Diego, and my car has never been smoother. Mileage has been consistently 33-35 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. With prices as high as they are, being able to pay $0.10 less at Arco compared to those so-called "premium" places is a bonus, especially since I'm not free-loading off my parents.[hr]
I ran ARCO for awhile in my new truck since I had the same metality as above. I learned my lesson later though, after having to replace my fuel filter twice a year. Maybe it was the ARCO station I used.. dunno. All I know is after switching to 76 and then later Chevron I never had any filter problems. I only use ARCO for my lawnmower now.
Old 02-17-2003
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Nothing is wrong with Arco gas.

it costs less because arco does not accept credit cards. Credit card companies charge business to use their service. By not accepting credit
cards, ARCO passes on the saving to customers and makes more money by selling volume.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SMX
You don't get anymore energy out of the higher octane. It only helps when you have high compression that requires it. If you haven't modded your compression or timing, quit pissing away your money. I work with the guys who refine gasolines and mid-grade is provided so they can get an extra buck or two from you every tank full.[hr]
Couldn't have said it any better.

For a time, I just had to see if there was a difference between 87 and 89 octane - there is no difference on a stock engine.
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: flotsamm
[hr]Originally posted by: Ronin
And what's wrong with Arco gas? I've been using it since arriving in San Diego, and my car has never been smoother. Mileage has been consistently 33-35 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. With prices as high as they are, being able to pay $0.10 less at Arco compared to those so-called "premium" places is a bonus, especially since I'm not free-loading off my parents.[hr]

I ran ARCO for awhile in my new truck since I had the same metality as above. I learned my lesson later though, after having to replace my fuel filter twice a year. Maybe it was the ARCO station I used.. dunno. All I know is after switching to 76 and then later Chevron I never had any filter problems. I only use ARCO for my lawnmower now.[hr]

Well, until I actually see something like that for myself on my Civic, I will keep using it and saving my money. But like I said, after half a year here, I have not yet noticed any bit of difference in response and gas mileage.

Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

gorbachev is an unknown quantity at this point
i kinda feel i get better gas milage on higher octane. i usually get 360 miles all city on 89 and only 330 on 87. i never put 93 in my tank b4 cuz i dont know what the results would be.
Old 02-17-2003
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
I might just try to put in 87 next time.
Old 02-17-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: Crashoveride
I agree with the article as well. It is unessicary to use the higher grade all the time. But when the prices drop from time to time, I like to go for the good stuff for the car as a treat. There are reasons that they do make the higher grades for vehicles and well if you use it every once in awhile you can get the bennifit of it and still save your money.

Just my $0.02

Later

Crashoveride[hr]
Your two cents reflects your ignorance. Tell me... how is anything higher than 87 octane "the good stuff?" I'd like to know.

Old 02-18-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
Ducatti, I complement you on your excellent use of grammar and spelling. And I too get pissed off at people who can't write worth **** and talk trash at the same time. [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, the thread title implies that the thread originator is bowing down to some magazine writer and insulting quite a few members on the site.

Anyhow, put what you want in your car. It may be a waste of money to some but not the guy who feels it does something. It's the same deal with oil.

For those that are ignorant, what an individual PERCEIVES to be true is much more important than what is ACTUALLY true.

I use 87 myself. Why, because I drive car that I consider to be basic transportation and it needs gas to run, nothing more.

EDIT: Correct some bad grammar...amazing what a buzz will do.
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, you should note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner’s manual.
The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars. If it was designed for regular gas, but knocks, often that means you need a tune up.

Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money, too. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

What are octane ratings?
Octane ratings measure a gasoline’s ability to resist engine knock, a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of the compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 92 or 93). The ratings must be posted on bright yellow stickers on each gasoline pump.
How is octane rating determined?
Gasoline is subjected to two testing methods to establish its octane rating: one, called the motor method, runs the gasoline in an engine under load; and a second, the research method, runs the gasoline in a free running engine. The research method gives slightly higher ratings, and the octane number displayed on the pumps is an average of the two methods.
What’s the right octane level for your car?
Check your owner’s manual to determine the right octane level for your car. Regular octane is recommended for most cars. However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars, old cars and certain luxury cars, need mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock.
How can you tell if you’re using the right octane level?
Listen to your car’s engine. If it doesn’t knock when you use the recommended octane, you’re using the right grade of gasoline. Knock occurs when cylinder pressures are high. It is normal for an engine to ping a little at full throttle because cylinder pressures are very high at full throttle. Engine knock, however, should not be ignored since it can result in serious damage to the engine. High octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline. The slow burn prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high.
If your engine runs well and does not knock or ping on low octane gasoline, there is no advantage in switching to higher octane gasoline.

If your engine knocks or pings, it does not necessarily mean something is wrong with the gasoline. It could be a problem with the car's ignition timing or exhaust gas recirculation. On high mileage engines, a carbon build-up in the cylinders can increase cylinder pressures and cause knock.

Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?
As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car’s engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.
Should you ever switch to a higher octane gasoline?
A few car engines may knock or ping - even if you use the recommended octane. If this happens, try switching to the next higher octane grade. In many cases, switching to the mid-grade or premium-grade gasoline will eliminate the knock. If the knocking or pinging continues after one or two fill-ups, you may need a tune-up or some other repair. After that work is done, go back to the lowest octane grade at which your engine runs without knocking.
Is knocking harmful?
Occasional light knocking or pinging won’t harm your engine, and doesn’t indicate a need for higher octane. But don’t ignore severe knocking. A heavy or persistent knock can lead to engine damage.
Is all "premium" or "regular" gasoline the same?
The octane rating of gasoline marked "premium" or "regular" is not consistent across the country. One state may require a minimum octane rating of 92 for all premium gasoline, while another may allow 90 octane to be called premium. To make sure you know what you’re buying, check the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump instead of relying on the name "premium" or "regular."
Does high octane gasoline improve mileage?
In general, if your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, high octane gasoline will not improve mileage. If switching to high octane gasoline does improve mileage, you might find that a tune-up will give you the same improvement on 87 octane gasoline.
Does high octane gasoline achieve quicker starting?
No, it doesn't.
Does high octane gasoline increase power?
If your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, you shouldn't notice any more power on high octane gasoline. Again, if it does make a noticeable difference, you may need a tune-up.
Is high octane gasoline more refined -- is it just a better product?
Additional refining steps are used to increase the octane; however, these additional steps do not make the gasoline any cleaner or better. They just yield a different blend of hydrocarbons that burn more slowly. The additional steps also increase the price.

FROM FUCKING CHEVRON, OPEC & API:

A Consumer's Guide:
Gasoline Octane for Cars
from Gasoline Questions & Answers for Your Car
API Publication 1580, Sixth edition, January 1996
Q. What is octane?

A. Octane is a measure of a gasoline's ability to resist knock or pinging noise from an engine. In older vehicles, knock may be accompanied by engine run-on, or dieseling. Knock is the sharp, metallic-sounding engine noise that results from uncontrolled combustion. Severe knocking over an extended time may damage pistons and other engine parts. If you can hear knocking, you should have your engine checked to make sure it is calibrated correctly and does not have a mechanical or electrical problem, or use a higher octane gasoline.

In most vehicles no benefit is gained from using gasoline that has a higher octane number than is needed to prevent knock. However, in some vehicles equipped with a knock sensor (an electronic device installed in many modern engines that allows the engine management system to detect and reduce knock), a higher octane gasoline may improve performance slightly.

Q. What determines my car's octane requirements?
A. Your car's octane requirements are mainly determined by its basic design. In addition, variations in engines due to manufacturing tolerances can cause cars of the same model to require a different octane of several numbers. Also, as a new car is driven, its octane requirement can increase because of the buildup of combustion chamber deposits. This continues until a stable level is reached, typically after about 15,000 miles. The stabilized octane requirement may be 3-6 numbers higher than when the car was new. Premium or midgrade fuel may be advisable to prevent knock.

Other factors also influence your car's knocking characteristics:
Temperature - Generally, the hotter the ambient air and engine coolant, the greater the octane requirement.

Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

Humidity - The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement. The recommendations that vehicle manufacturers give are for normal- to low-humidity levels.

Your engine's spark timing - The octane requirement increases as the spark timing is advanced. Both the basic setting of the spark timing and the operation of the automatic spark advance mechanisms are important in controlling knock. In some computer controlled engines, the spark timing can only be changed by replacing modules in the computer. If they are equipped with knock sensors, these computer controlled engines have the ability to retard the ignition temporarily when a sensor detects knock. This temporarily reduces the octane requirement and may also temporarily reduce vehicle performance.

Method of driving - Rapid acceleration and heavy loading, such as pulling a trailer or climbing a hill, may result in a greater octane requirement. Stop-and-go driving and excessive idling can increase octane requirements by causing the buildup of combustion chamber deposits.

Malfunctions of emission control systems - An improperly functioning emissions control system can affect the octane requirement by changing the air-fuel mixture or by not providing dilution gases through the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. If a malfunction occurs, your vehicle should be taken to a qualified vehicle service mechanic. Some problems are indicated by warning lights on the driver's instrument panel.

Q. How many grades of gasoline are available?
A. Most places that sell gasoline offer three octane grades of unleaded gasoline--regular at 87 (R+M)/2, midgrade at 89 (R+M)/2, and premium at 93 (R+M)/2. In high-altitude areas such as the Rocky Mountain Region of the U.S., the (R+M)/2 number may be lower by one or two numbers. After January 1, 1996, no leaded gasoline may be sold for highway use.

Q. Which octane grade should I use in my car?
A. Use the recommendation in your car owner's manual as a starting point for selecting the proper gasoline. If you notice engine knock over an extended time and your engine is adjusted correctly, try a higher octane gasoline. Also, higher octane may provide a performance benefit (better acceleration) in cars equipped with knock sensors. Many late model and high-performance (turbo-charged and supercharged) cars fall into this category.

Quick Reply: For the fools using Higher octane gas...