General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

For the fools using Higher octane gas...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuruary 1, 1996, no leaded gasoline may be sold for highway use.

Q. Which octane grade should I use in my car?
A. Use the recommendation in your car owner's manual as a starting point for selecting the proper gasoline. If you notice engine knock over an extended time and your engine is adjusted correctly, try a higher octane gasoline. Also, higher octane may provide a performance benefit (better acceleration) in cars equipped with knock sensors. Many late model and high-performance (turbo-charged and supercharged) cars fall into this category.
[hr]
So is the last part of this answer BS where is says using a higher octane gas can improve acceleration? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-18-2003
Just Be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MangoEX should not be trusted
Higher octane gas would only improve your acceleration if your engine required it (higher compression engines) where the closer the piston travels upwards in the combustion cycle. That requires a higher octane (resistance to ignition) so the fuel will ignite when its supposed to and when its most efficient. So if you used a lower octane rated fuel in a high compression motor, the fuel would ignite too early and cause a power loss (among other problems)