General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

I crashed it. Now I have a repair question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyOtherRideIsBritney is an unknown quantity at this point
I crashed it. Now I have a repair question...

Hello all...

I was hoping that I'd never have to write this post. Yesterday, I was backing up out of my garage and I totally forgot that a temporary dumpster had been placed partially in the way of my path. I had backed up fine before with the dumpster there, but I don't know what happened yesterday...guess I just forgot to look before I backed up.

So without further ado, the damage: I ended up completely shearing off my driver's side mirror and I also put a dent in the door that chipped the paint and caused it to flake off. There is also a long (1-1.5 foot) white scrape mark from the impact. The damage is confined only to the door, thank goodness.

That day, I went to some auto body repair shops to get some estimates. The prices are relatively the same, but the repair procedure differs somewhat from shop to shop. Every shop is saying that I HAVE to blend the paint from the front quarter panel and the door to ensure a match, but they also recommend that I have the back quarter panel blended too, because silver is a hard color to match. Fair enough. However, one shop said they would pull out the dent, fill it with body filler, and repaint. They said that changing the whole door skin would require undoing the factory welds, and that messing with the factory welds might mess up the integrity of the car. Other shops have said the opposite, saying that the easiest WOULD be to replace the door skin. The difference between the two procedures is $200.

What do you guys recommend? I just wanna get my car fixed...it honestly does suck to get in an accident, no matter how big. You feel like crap.

Thanks -

MyOtherRideIsBritney

Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

nucks is an unknown quantity at this point
the dent you have sounds similar to the one in my lude, drivers door. I was given the options of new skin or pull and fill, just like you. it all depends on how much you want and how much you wanna spend. replacing the entire skin is the most expensive way, but you will also never be able to tell there was a dent. removing the factory welds will not lower the integrity of the car as long as its repaired right. pulling the dent out and filling and matching paint is always a risk, you will not be able to tell with the naked eye that its been dented before, but a true professional will be able to tell the difference and notice its flaws. so the bottom line is pulling it out and filling it would be satisfactory for many people, and it will rid the door of removing most of the damage but make sure you have a reputable shop do this task if you choose to go down that road. if you are absolutley set on having it back to the way it was before like when you pulled it off the showroom floor, good as new, go with a new skin. whatever you decide all depends on how much you wanna spend for the quality of work you will receive.......good luck
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
absolute BEST route to go is completely replacing the door itself, but yea change the outer door panel like the one shop said, dont just let them fix it because of seriousl rust issues that you will run into if you keep this car say 7 more years? Just dont take the chance with a damaged piece, get an all new one.
Old 01-05-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
My family have been in the colision repair business for 17 years. We never put on new door skins. as far as pulling the dent and filling, well that depends on the extent of the damage. Got Picks?

The best rout is to replace the door, make shure they either get a New OEM door or get a used one. DO NOT ACCEPT aftermarket parts!!!!!! They are poor quality parts that rairly fit.

As far as paint, Silver is a bit tough to match (any metalic paint should be blended, just be glad you dont have a perl paint you'd have to paint most of the car to get that to match) so blending in to the Quarter pannel is a good Idea. Make shure they use a 2 stage organic paint as aposed to a synthetic one.

as far as rust in the future? If the job was done right, it should not rust. no matter if you replaced the skin, or pulled and filled. If it does rust, take it back, and make them fix it. I know my dads place would.

What has been the average quote on the damage? you may want to go through your insurance if it goes over your diductible.

If your any where near Escondido California, Check out my dads shop

Stroyer Bros.
360 N. Hale
Escondido ca 92129
(760)743-5037 Fax (760) 745-5000
or TOLL FREE 1 (877) 787-6938

good luck with the repairs.[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

MyOtherRideIsBritney is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not a very deep dent at all...it would be hard to justify replacing the whole door just for this dent. I just want to reiterate that. I might see if I can post some pics later.

BTW - Zzyzx, props on not only a good, informative response but also an awesome name! Zzyzx Road, right off the I-15, is the subject of a joke between a few friends of mine...just thought I'd tell ya.

MyOtherRideIsBritney
Old 01-06-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I pass that road every time I drive down to my Parents house.
Dont know where it goes but I thought it was cool, mostly because I'm still not totally shure how to pronounce it.
[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

If its not that big of a dent, then a good body man should be able to metal finish it. so there would be a minimum of bondo. If they are really good then there probably be only a little finishing putty but dont count on it.
Metal finishing is a dying art, and most body repair schools nowadays teach bondo sculpting rather then a good repair.
oh well. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

That and believe it or not Colision repair isn't really a high profit business. My dad figured that for his shop, fixing a dent on a door would cost about $500 that sounds like alot, but after every thing was paid like the tech and meterials the shop only made 5-10% so figure that 5% = $25 10% = $50, so most shops try to maximize their profit by cutting a few corners. Like bondoing the hell out of a repair. With little repairs shops make squat, its the big repairs that keep them going.