General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

**Got into an accident(and drifted an FF car)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Got into an accident(and driften an FF car)

Okay, This happened at about 1:45pm EST. I was between Rawdon and St Alphonse which is 90 minutes north of montreal It;s basically a winding mountain road. I was coming around a curv, the reccomend speed limitin this curv was 90km/h (55mph) and I was going 90. All of a sudden my car goes extremely tail happy and I see a Dodge Ram in the oncoming lane.

I Counter steered and drifted about 60ft,, then my front tires got good traction and my rear came around the other way, but too quick and I slid through some slush, did a 360 and went down a hill sideways. The car slid in the snow for about 40ft before coming to a stop just inches from a telephone poll.

If there was no oncoming traffic I could have avoided the whole mess and just turned in and spun the car around and went on my merry way.

The driver of the other trucks face was just hillarious though...While I was drifiting the car actually held pretty smooth and I could see his eyes..the guy didn;t stop to see if we were okay or anything..probably because he wet himself or somethin [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]..

I'll have pics up next week. I have to get them developed then scan them and I work all week..[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Damm man, that sucks, hopefully you didnt break anything. Good thing your Ok too.
Old 01-05-2003
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
wait... so.. you're okay... but what about the car???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

Nothings broken..just some minor rear fender damage and my alignment wen't off..

cost me $90 to get pulled up the hill..

I don't see how people claim to have seen their lives flash before their eyes in these situations...

I was just sliding and having fun doing it..once the car came to a stop me and my buddy were both laughing and wanted to do it again lol.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

01civic911 is an unknown quantity at this point
then do it again and see if you can luck out with getting yourself out of it, just clean the crap out of your undies so you dont double up when you crash the next time.
Old 01-05-2003
Supreme Member!

wcsjunior is an unknown quantity at this point
thats crazy! lol
yeah, once i almost wrecked my little sister's mustang cuz i spun out hella bad cuz of the rear traction... she was in the car too, and after we stopped i started laughing my *** off and all she could say "u f....in' idiot, u almost totaled my car!" lol
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: 01civic911
then do it again and see if you can luck out with getting yourself out of it, just clean the crap out of your undies so you dont double up when you crash the next time.[hr]
I didn't get scared..I just got pumped through the whole thing...If there was no oncoming traffic I would have easily got out of it and wouldn;t have a tory to post....If I turned in I woulda been raped by a dodge ram at 55mph..I was hoping the car wouldn't counter steer as bad as it did...but alas it did I went offroading..

Civics are tough little buggers [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

DarrenA is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds scary and funny at the same time. Your lucky there wasn't much damage though.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
It's good to hear you are ok after doing something stupid like that, but why is this sticky?
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

It's Sticky till I get the pics done..After that it'll be back to normal...

I didn't do something stupid..I hit a damn patch of oil on a wet road and did what I could to avoid getting hit by dodge ram at 55mph...Hmmm counter steer and slide..and hit the brakes and get hit head on ..or turn in to swing the car around and get rear ended at 55mph....hmmm...

I counter steered to keep the rear sliding and avoided the truck..but after he passed me the front tires got good taction and the rear swung out faster than any counter sterring would help..which is why I went offroading
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
HAHA...I can't read..thought you said you were doing 90 in a 50. I brezzed over your story and came to that conclusion. I was thinking something was up because your one of the more inteligent members here. Sorry, no hard feelings eh?
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

90km/h [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] it's cool dude
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

BlkVeloz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey crash, did you get that plate? (2NR) Very clever name I must say!
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

STang57 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom
Nothings broken..just some minor rear fender damage and my alignment wen't off..

I don't see how people claim to have seen their lives flash before their eyes in these situations...

I was just sliding and having fun doing it..once the car came to a stop me and my buddy were both laughing and wanted to do it again lol.[hr]
yeah some people seem to get severly shaken up by a minor fender bender sometimes. i posted a thread about my accident a while ago. i also "drifted" my CIVIC on the freeway and totaled the car. the accident didnt phase me at all. i just walked away like it was nothing. the only part that bothered me was just losing my car and my parents having to deal with more paperwork and junk. i've been in like 4 passenger accidents, but only this 1 i was driving. all accidents i was able to walk away from with no scratches or whatever.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just sliding and having fun doing it..once the car came to a stop me and my buddy were both laughing and wanted to do it again lol.[hr]
Your life only flashes before your eyes when your past the point of no return, say if your car wrapped itself around that pole and you were thrown into the pole causing severe head trauma or something (dont quote me on this, i dont know for sure.) You were obviously enjoying yourself and had everything under control enough to walk away alive. Same thing happened to me the first time i took my new car out for a "real" test drive, pulling hard into corners, kicking the back end out around corners, until i got a bit too greedy (still new to rwd) and ended up throwing the car too far back as i corrected my oversteer around the corner, pulled a 180, and stopped in the opposite direction lane facing perfectly straight ready to roll, my friend thought that i had done it on purpose and i was about to hit him for thinking it, knowing that i have 0 experience drifting a rwd car around a corner aside from what ive learned from playing gran turismo 3 (thank god, because believe it or not, what i do in that game to save myself from hitting walls is the same thing that saved me in my real car...) and what ive picked up from cruising around with him in his car. I swear, the adrenaline rush from that happening was just amazing, all i remember was pulling the wheel this way, that way, this way, hard that way, and then the car just sitting there ready for another pass....
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
All of a sudden my car goes extremely tail happy and I see a Dodge Ram in the oncoming lane. [hr]
What suspension mods do you have? My car would take the turn at 90 without a problem on a 55. I tried 90 on a 45 (was a bit skeptical [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] ) and ended up having to tap the brake when the turn got sharper from some slight understeer. The rear tires slightly slid but regained traction immediately at around 85.
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

I have a blown rear shock for suspension mods..[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. I hit an oil patch on a wet road..not much I could have done to avoid the rear swigning out
Old 01-06-2003
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a blown rear shock for suspension mods..[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. I hit an oil patch on a wet road..not much I could have done to avoid the rear swigning out[hr]
No, it seems like it was avoidable. If the road was wet, you should've been driving more cautiously (which means driving slower).

-Aki
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

I was going 90 in a 90 zone on a long sweeping slow curve...you'll see when I get the pics up...it was a turn that could easily be taken going 140 in dry conditions..
Old 01-06-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Hehe, sounds fun. Don't you just love snow! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
No, seriously though. I'm glad nothing major happened.
That would have sucked, huh?
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

Well I coulda been killed by a dodge ram in the oncoming lane going 55MPH..No snow tho..just wet road..
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

spat should not be trustedspat should not be trustedspat should not be trusted
Nice story mohawkboom, you did the right thing in that situation.
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

Rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear this...ahhhh snooooooow don'T put those civic on the snow...Mohawkboom you and Martin are the 2 nearest members of this forum near my house...and martin had an accident and you had an accident too....keep those civic out of snow and buy a beater this is the best thing to do!!!

Eric
Old 01-06-2003
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
funny about the tail happy thing. I was going down a windy freeway sort of thing in the middle of town. goin around 80kph. and all of the sudden my car got extremely tail happy. slid one way. i countersteered. then it spun around. I was driving sideways with a 3ft tall cement barrier about 2 feet in front of my bumper which i seriously thought i was gonna hit and f**k up my Tsunami bumper, lol.

Anyhow. it all ended as my car came to a stop and i was backwards immediatly after a corner. in time to see cars coming around the corner. but someone stopped and, "let me in". This involved a u turn in the middle of a little freeway. At which point i noticed that the Alero that was tailgaiting me right before i spun, was also sitting backwards about 100 ft up the road. lol.

It was fun.