General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

How do Hyundai's take to mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
How to Hyundai's take to mods?

Hyundai's are moving up in quality. They may already be there but you need a few years of history to prove it out. I am even considering Hyundai as my next car. My question is how are Hyundais to modify, compared to the Civic. Specifically, I was thinking of the Elantra GT hatch. I think it is a nice looking car. Kinda Saab-like. Can you do much with things like intake and suspension with cars like the Elantra?
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

01SOHCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
IMHO I think you should search the internet and look for a Hyundai forum just like this one and ask your questions there.
Old 12-27-2002
Supreme Member!

wcsjunior is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know but, the other day on the street a hyundai(dont know which one, just saw the H) flew by me with loud *** intake! lol
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
well i'd guess the HP is overrated on the mods too. so not very well.
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
and jeez yeh its sorta the engine on how it will respond to mods but its mostly what mods and how you tune it on how it will respond man.
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

[QUOTE]Quote
[hr]Originally posted by: 01SOHCcivic
IMHO I think you should search the internet and look for a Hyundai forum just like this one and ask your questions there.[/]

If the post seems to be unpopular, I can delete it.
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

Cali is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: 01SOHCcivic
IMHO I think you should search the internet and look for a Hyundai forum just like this one and ask your questions there.[hr]
I agree. There's alot of Hyundai haters on this forum. I would just do my own research if I were you. Check out the different aftermarket sites and see what they have to offer for Hyundais.

BTW, Elantra?? I can understand you liking the new Tiburon (cough..Supra...cough) but Elantra. Are you okay, mentally?
Old 12-27-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
I saw some awsome Tiburons at NOPI Nats.

Old 12-27-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Dude, if you're gonna get a Hyundai, at least get the hopped up Tiburon. A guy I know has an Elantra hatch and its a piece of shiet. They look decent, but I actually really like the styling of the new Tibby. I'm not sure how they respond to mods though.
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
There was an '03 V6 Tibby at the track last week when I went. He ran slower than I did
I can't believe a V6 is that fuggin slow. As far as reliablity, i couldn't tell you one way or the other....but they at least cover you for 10 years if they aren't reliable.
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

ohiojosh78 can only hope to improve
OK GUYS. I am a Hyundai owner....was. I had a 2000 tiburon and that first pic of the blue tib is the cuda kit i know that for sure cuz i was going to order it. As far as mods go there arent that many out because not that many people modify hyundais. I am a member at www.sharkracing.com that is the best site out for hyundai tuning. they also have links to all other hyundai sites. I sold my tib for 3 reasons.
1. Not enough mods out
B. Hyundai is going through a lawsuit for overestimating their HP outputs by like 15-25%
and VIII as far as reliability goes they have been ranked the worst quality car out for like 50yrs consecutively. THe whole reason for having the 10yr warranty is BECAUSE they have peices of **** for cars. Honda on the other hand doesnt need that. Everyone knows they last forever that's why they have a 3yr warranty. and....ANYTHING you do to your car even putting on different rims will void out your ENTIRE warranty. I aske 3 dealerships and i also called Hyundai-North America on this, so.......
Hope this helps
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

kennisonxgs is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: ohiojosh78
OK GUYS. I am a Hyundai owner....was. I had a 2000 tiburon and that first pic of the blue tib is the cuda kit i know that for sure cuz i was going to order it. As far as mods go there arent that many out because not that many people modify hyundais. I am a member at www.sharkracing.com that is the best site out for hyundai tuning. they also have links to all other hyundai sites. I sold my tib for 3 reasons.
1. Not enough mods out
B. Hyundai is going through a lawsuit for overestimating their HP outputs by like 15-25%
and VIII as far as reliability goes they have been ranked the worst quality car out for like 50yrs consecutively. THe whole reason for having the 10yr warranty is BECAUSE they have peices of **** for cars. Honda on the other hand doesnt need that. Everyone knows they last forever that's why they have a 3yr warranty. and....ANYTHING you do to your car even putting on different rims will void out your ENTIRE warranty. I aske 3 dealerships and i also called Hyundai-North America on this, so.......
Hope this helps[hr]
Very informative
Good thing my dad made me avoid Hyundai when we were deciding potential candidates for my car. I guess that saved about a week of looking up info on a Huyndai and test driving them.
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Heh, companies actually PRODUCE perfomance mods for hyundai vehicles? Who'd a thunk it......
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: OmegaBlue2k1
Heh, companies actually PRODUCE perfomance mods for hyundai vehicles? Who'd a thunk it......[hr]
I'll tell ya who.........A-P-C[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-27-2002
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
I'm starting to not like Hyundai's even more due to their lazy *** designers. If you've noticed, all the new models are basically rip offs of other car designs, such as the Supra, Saab, Jaguar, etc. Sheesh, can't these guys come up with original stuff.
Old 12-28-2002
LC
Registered!!

LC is an unknown quantity at this point
Fraga has a good point. But i still love the style of the new tiburon's. They just look powerful even though it might not be. My friend wants to get a new car. His choices are new tiburon, new celica, and 98 accord v6. He probably wont get the celica because hes a big person. But who knows
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

watewate is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: fraga
I'm starting to not like Hyundai's even more due to their lazy *** designers. If you've noticed, all the new models are basically rip offs of other car designs, such as the Supra, Saab, Jaguar, etc. Sheesh, can't these guys come up with original stuff. [hr]
rip offs? gimme a break. no design on earth is original, free of influences.

one company that deserves bashing is Ford, rehashing its old designs.

Honda isnt exactly doing well in looks department, either. Every Honda car on the road today looks generic, it's as if they didnt want to offend anyone, taking the neutral, middle road.

btw hyundai, especially tuscani has tonnes of mods available, but you'd need to have them imported from korea.
I was going through sema pics, I wouldnt mind that AWD v6 turbo tuscani...

and people give a break about this HP fiasco, Nissan is worse.
Old 12-28-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough

he was asking a simple question.
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]B. Hyundai is going through a lawsuit for overestimating their HP outputs by like 15-25%[hr]
Actually, less than 5% and only in Canada.

Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: fraga
I'm starting to not like Hyundai's even more due to their lazy *** designers. If you've noticed, all the new models are basically rip offs of other car designs, such as the Supra, Saab, Jaguar, etc. Sheesh, can't these guys come up with original stuff. [hr]
I think the 7th gen Civic Sedan is based on the Jetta. The Coupe seems to be original though.

I think the Nissan Altima is based on the Passat, at least the back of it. The Dodge Stratus has a little bit of that design in it too.
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

I've been recieving newsletters on this subject and it's anywhere from 7% on the low HP engines to almost 25% on the v6's
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

94civicsedan is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Roosbok
I think the 7th gen Civic Sedan is based on the Jetta. The Coupe seems to be original though.

I think the Nissan Altima is based on the Passat, at least the back of it. The Dodge Stratus has a little bit of that design in it too.[hr]
what about the 7th gen civic sedans looking kinda like Ford Focus Sedans???

Old 12-28-2002
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
To me putting a 10 year warenty on a car is basically telling you its gonna fall apart, but they'll fix it for you. I think i'd rather have a car thats gonna spend its life on the road not in the shop. So im keeping my car
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

KeeblaElf is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: 94civicsedan
[hr]Originally posted by: Roosbok

I think the Nissan Altima is based on the Passat, at least the back of it. The Dodge Stratus has a little bit of that design in it too.[hr]
what about the 7th gen civic sedans looking kinda like Ford Focus Sedans???[hr]
and the 7th gen civic coupe tail light design are very similiar to those of the Focus sedans...sure, the lighting is different, but the housing design is pretty close...
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Hawk
To me putting a 10 year warenty on a car is basically telling you its gonna fall apart, but they'll fix it for you. I think i'd rather have a car thats gonna spend its life on the road not in the shop. So im keeping my car [hr]
And putting a 36K mile warranty on a car who's transaxle fails after 40K is somehow better?!
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
I've owned 3 Hyundais in my day...the first was a 1993 Hyundai Sonata whichw as my dads car before mine. Great car..pretty decent power for a 2.0L 4banger off the lot....was very reliable, except for the automatic transmission which we went through 4 of...but we also regularly towed a 600lbs ATV uphill [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. After the 4th tranny and the warranty was up...it was nver used for towing and for 5 years the tranny held strong. the car never had any unusual problems..the starter went in 1999, the engine had a minor overhaul after 120,000 km's (80k miles or so) new rings, new valve seals, new crank bearings...nothing out of the ordinary...the engine even took 23PSI of boost and very lean fuel mixture for 3 runs up the track before it blew..[IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG] Ran a 10.93 on slicks (first run it stalled..second run it made a real pretty spark show) fun project car to prove a Hyundai could run a 10 second 1/4 mile..all scrapyard parts...and **** poor free tuning done by 2 18 year olds taking auto mechanics courses..

I owned a 1997 Accent which was mostly my mother's car but we went half on it because I ripped the sonata apart for a project... cars still running strong..never any warranty issues with it..

I also had a 2001 Elantra before I got the civic.. it had alot more go power than the civic and handled a fair bit better... had the car for 3 months before a garbage truck made short work of it..

I decided to try a honda because I figured it was a good cheap car that's good on gas and would have more aftermarket support so I can have more fun with it....I feel I still should have gotten an elantra GT ..specially afer driving my friend's...the elantra was overrated by some 3% or so in power so it only puts out 135HP instead of 140..whoopie.. but handles VERY very well for an off he lot econobox... the only qualm about Hyundais is their cheap interiors...but they have to keep costs down somehow...

In the last 10 years or so...Hyundai has been making a good solid car which is designed to be replaced after 3-4 years. Which they do a great job for that time...afterward the engine's need some minor work..and their good to go for awhile more.. The reason behind the 10 year warranty is because they still can't shake the Stellars and Pony from back in the day which were about the 2 worse cars for reliability ever put on the road...

Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

artychris is an unknown quantity at this point
The way I see it is a car's a car. Unless you're driving a K20A2 powered or boosted Civic, then you're still within that "range" of power of an econobox Hyundai. So what do Civic owners do? They go all SHOW.
Here are a couple pics lifted off of the sharkracing website.

Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

symmetry is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanx for those pics!! Those made me realize that even the tiburon isn't original. Looks alot like the Audi TT to me. Also, I agree that the civic looks alot like the focus but the civic was the first with that hb style. Also, even the focus wasn't original, the focus looks just like the neon. To sum it up nicely, our civics are the equivalent looks of a neon? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] Oh well, I still love my car. Which I'm not saying I'm original either...I named my car ZZ which is short for zoom zoom but I didn't like comparing it to a mazda.

edit: btw, friend of mine has had her tiburon for 3-4 years and never had a problem
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

as far as the interiors go that was my favorite part about my Tiburon. It looked like an.....audi i think.....had brushed alum look trim, hidden pocket in the roof for sunglasses other cool stuff
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

watewate is an unknown quantity at this point
Hyundai, at least in korea, made it no secret that they took cues from Audi TT when it came to the interior and the gas cap. and referred to italian exotic carmaker for its roofline and side ridge.

Quick Reply: How do Hyundai's take to mods?