General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

AWD civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002
Supreme Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wcsjunior is an unknown quantity at this point
AWD civic

dont flame me if its been covered before damnit!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
correct me if im wrong in all my questions and comments but isnt the K series engine that is in the CRV awd? i think its both fwd and awd or something like that but i heard somewhere about trying to fit that into the 7thgen.. i mean a K series swap has been done before so i would think it wouldnt be that much harder, but the question is: if u can swap that in, wont u be able to make ur car awd? i know u would have to work out bugs and problems with tranny but it is possible right?
Old 12-06-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
it has kinda been covered before, but it was a long time ago. basically, i think the hard part is we don't have the "lump" on our floor to accumulate a rear drive shaft, you'll have to basically bang the hell out of the floor to clear smething like that, i personally don't think that's worht the wild
Old 12-06-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
If you want 4WD, then take a look at the J-spec 7th gen civics. They have a hydraulic linkage system to some sort of rear diff. Importing those parts would make it possible to do a conversion. You just have to know the right people, speak Japanese, and have the money. Yeah, just. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2002
Registered!!

Tiki is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
If you want 4WD, then take a look at the J-spec 7th gen civics. They have a hydraulic linkage system to some sort of rear diff. Importing those parts would make it possible to do a conversion. You just have to know the right people, speak Japanese, and have the money. Yeah, just. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
Owened lol Just
Old 12-07-2002
Registered!!

RallyEX is an unknown quantity at this point
The AWD system on the CR-V is great for what it does, but in a car it is not nearly effective as subaru's system. The Honda AWD is called RealTime AWD, it only engages the rear drivetrain when it senses that the front tires are spinning. This would be good on track day for a little extra ooomph when you launch, but in real world situations where awd would be effective as well, this form of drivetrain wouldn't really be desirable.

Subaru's Fulltime AWD sends power to the entire drivetrain at all times. You suffer at the gas pump, but it's there when you need it in real word situations as well. AWD can be really nice when autocrossing, but you wouldn't have it with a CR-V drivetrain unless your front tires start spinning, and even then it takes a half a second for the drivetrain to engage.

Honda's RealTime AWD would be really nice for the civic's in winter, but from an enthusiasts standpoint, it is not really worth the extra time and effort. You would be better off investing in a limited slip differential for your fwd drivetrain, and letting the rear wheels spin free.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: Tiki
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
If you want 4WD, then take a look at the J-spec 7th gen civics. They have a hydraulic linkage system to some sort of rear diff. Importing those parts would make it possible to do a conversion. You just have to know the right people, speak Japanese, and have the money. Yeah, just. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
Owened lol Just[hr]
i have family in japan... i know japanese... but i dont have money i was so close!