General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheel hop?

All right does anybody know of anybody products to get rid of that annoying right wheel hopping that goes on if that tire breaks free on the road??

Thanks guys and girls
Joe
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

TACHITUP is an unknown quantity at this point
i know what you mean -- i have a real fun road to drive by my house winding turns and dips. every morning when i'm late and ripping up the road i get that noise -- this morning too. it just makes me want to put a rally kind of suspension in the car, thats what i'm doing in the spring
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I think if you replace all your rubber bushings to urethane bushings it will help, but I'm not sure if there are any bushing kits out for our car besides the neuspeed front sway bar bushing kit. I have that kit, and I've noticed a little less wheel hop than before. It'd be nice to change out other bushings too....
Old 10-25-2002
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
Good tires will always help.
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

good tires are ok but even during the summer if I rip a burnout or get a nasty launch with too much wheelspin the whole right side of the car starts to feel like it is hopping. It makes this loud banging noise like the wheel is acutally getting air then coming back down hard. I am just trying to get that corrected, it even happens with my Nitto 555's.
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, its called wheel hop. this is caused by the engine/transmission rocking back and fourth in its mounts when you are trying to put down more torque then it was designed for at launch (ie dropping the clutch at 5K). A simple fix, if they make them for you, is to get energy suspension motor mount inserts. this will stop the motor felxing and allow you to put the power to the ground. I can launch at any RPM i want, on or off nitrous and i dont get any hop.
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
man, at first I thought he was talking about wheel hop during turns. The answer for that would be a front strut bar.
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

Simkin is an unknown quantity at this point
The only thing that will truelly get rid of wheel spin/hop, is a new differential. This is due to the fact that all the HP is going to the wheel that doesn't need it.

Currently nobody makes one for the 2001+ civic. But if quaife did make a helical LSD for our cars, that is what you would get.

Sorry, but you just might be stuck with this one. Also, from my experience as an autocrosser, if you're getting wheelspin/hop during a turn, you're may be entering the turn to fast, and/or trying to turn to hard for the chassis and tires to handle.
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

JoeB16
Simkin

Thanks guys that was exactly the answer to the question that I had. Not joking just giving the credit where it is due.

Joe
Old 10-28-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
One other thing you may want to try is this: oem part?
It helped me out. Maybe not all that much as initially posted, but it's a definate improvement. Cheap too, so you might as well get it.
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Simkin
The only thing that will truelly get rid of wheel spin/hop, is a new differential. This is due to the fact that all the HP is going to the wheel that doesn't need it.

Currently nobody makes one for the 2001+ civic. But if quaife did make a helical LSD for our cars, that is what you would get.

Sorry, but you just might be stuck with this one. Also, from my experience as an autocrosser, if you're getting wheelspin/hop during a turn, you're may be entering the turn to fast, and/or trying to turn to hard for the chassis and tires to handle.[hr]
An LSD isn’t doing jack squat to eliminate wheel hop. Even open differential cars will spin both tires given even traction on each side and that the car is going in a straight line. The addition of an LSD will negate that to a point allowing both tires to grip, even with wheel slip, and so that the outside wheel will get power in a turn. That’s it.

Think about it this way, like I said wheel hop is due to the engine/tranny torqing back and fourth in its mushy stock mounts (this doesn’t happen on RWD cars, they get axle tramp, which is different). How is an LSD going to do anything to counteract that? The ONLY application I could see in which this would be the case, is when too much torque is loaded into a open differential equipped FWD car in a turn, and the inside tire just spins, causing wheel hop. Again, whoever this would be eliminated by the motor mount inserts. Splitting the torque to the outside wheel as well will only lessen the problem, not cure it.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Simkin is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't doubt the fact that upgraded mounts would help. Personally, I will admit that there are things that I don't know, from lack of experience.

But I don't drive straight line, and probably never will. My aspirations and experience come from autocrossing, where how you turn is what makes a difference. I'm quite sure that a LSD would help straight line aswell, but you're probably right; maybe not enough to matter.

But for real racing, by sending the HP & torque to the wheel that doesn't have traction, that wheel will spin, which is what happens on a stock differential. On an upgraded helical LSD it would instead transfer that HP & torque to the wheel that has the most traction. Which drastically reduces wheelspin, and also allows for higher exit speeds on turns.