General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Does Cheaper oil affect the performance of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dticalman is an unknown quantity at this point
Does Cheaper oil affect the performance of your car?

I got an oil change done at Firestone tires.for like $12.95 They used the 5-30W oil but it wasn't done at Honda and the oil change was really cheap. So for some reason i feel like my car as gotten slower..and could my performance be slightly worse possibly because of the cheaper oil they had possibly put in my car?
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
the price of the oil has no effect..it's the viscosity..your running a thicker oil..it's going to add some restriction to the powertrain dude..
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

Dticalman is an unknown quantity at this point
So..how could I make the performance of my car normal again? Would I have to get my oil change done at a Honda dealership for now and ever now?
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
try changing back to 5-20, thats what our cars are supposed to use. i use 5-30 anyway because of how hot it gets down here, though.
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
I would never put a 20 weight oil in my engine. Honda has always recommended 30 weight oils for their engines until recently. The reason is simple - emissions ratings. 5w-20 oil produces less emissions than 5w-30 or 10w-30, and Honda has government emissions quotas to meet (just like all the other automobile manufacturers). Thus, the 5w-20 recommendation is mainly for THEIR benefit, not for yours.

5w-30 and 10w-30 will protect your engine much better than 5w-20 will. And don't worry about voiding your warranty - no Honda dealership is going to refuse warranty work simply because you used 10w-30 instead of 5w-20 oil in your Honda.
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Learn to change your oil yourself...it's VERY VERY simple. I use Motorcraft 5w20 synth-blend...change every 3K. I'd use Amsoil, but I can't justify the cost.
Old 10-20-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Just keep in mind that the only unbiased, actual experiment run to compare motor oils in a real-world enviroment was done by consumer reports several years ago. They tried most brands in the taxi cabs of new york city. They took measurements before and after of the cylinders and so forth. They didn't find any difference between wear and such between the oils. At least nothing significant or anything that would give any refiner an edge over another.

Second, I drove an accord to 150k and it was always changed with penzoil (pretty cheap). Never had any problems, didn't burn any oil, and still ran great at a 150k.

The great oil debate has been going on, well, since their was more than one brand of oil. This debate will continue until the end of time....