General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Driving in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Driving in the snow...

How much stuff do you take off for the winter? Rims? Kit? Raise the car back up? Or do you just leave it all on? Why? Is there actually good chance that you can scratch your rims or kit in the snow? Or are you just being safe about it?
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2Wayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Its not so much the snow that is the problem, its more of the salt that is layed down.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

klam is an unknown quantity at this point
I get snow tires for extra grip.

Switch wheels because salt will hurt the finish on nice summer rims, and sometimes when it snows you can't see curbs or you slide into a curb and risk damaging your nice summer rims.

As long as your car isn't too low, then you'll be ok. Otherwise you'll be a snow plow with your front lip!
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
I live in the Pacific NW where they like to throw gravel on the roads. That really nicks your rims, not to mention your whole car. That's why I'm getting a beater for this winter, something that I can crash into a snowbank and walk away and not care.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: silverdevil
That's why I'm getting a beater for this winter, something that I can crash into a snowbank and walk away and not care.[hr]
That sounds fun
Old 09-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I knew a guy who did that... make sure you give it a spray paint job. Make it really stand out as a POS. Especially if you're just going to dump it. I've been told CRX's make great cars for snow/ice racing.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
jeep wrangler winter beaters rule!

i take my rims off and have snow tires on my steelies, i really messed my car up last spring cause i DIDN'T have snows on the rear wheels, and i lost the back end. sooo, if you get snow tires, make sure you get FOUR and not two.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know there's plenty of people out there that would kick my *** for saying it, but my LEAST favorite car of all times has gotta be Wranglers!

~Poor Acceleration
~Complicated SoftTop
~HORRIBLE gas mileage
~Made by Chrysler
~Top Heavy
~Owners think they're better than everyone else because "Jeep" is written on their sh t truck

I will admit that they're definately capable OFF-ROAD, but that's where they should stay!!!! Driving a Jeep on streets and hwy's is like driving a Vette 5mph below the limit, sure everyone does it, but don't you think they look retarded when they do?![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand..." Damn straight there, nor ever want to understand![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: AFlyer
jeep wrangler winter beaters rule!

i take my rims off and have snow tires on my steelies, i really messed my car up last spring cause i DIDN'T have snows on the rear wheels, and i lost the back end. sooo, if you get snow tires, make sure you get FOUR and not two.[hr]
It's illegal in Wa to have 2 snow tires. They must be all or none!
Old 09-12-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I personally won't be doing anything to prep my car for winter. I think it's overkill. My car is meant to be driven, so that's what I'll do. Rain or shine. Or snow.
Old 09-12-2002
n00b

aetobatus is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
I personally won't be doing anything to prep my car for winter. I think it's overkill. My car is meant to be driven, so that's what I'll do. Rain or shine. Or snow. [hr]
I agree! and that is what I will be doing tooo [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-12-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not gonna be worried about little things in the winter. I take immaculate care of my car, but I won't make any major changes for the winter. I drive a civic, not a Bentley or a Bimmer or a Benz. So my car will stay the same through adverse weather.