General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Why did you choose automatic over manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JustRobIt is an unknown quantity at this point
My parents got it for me, so I was glad to have anything. Auto is nice for talkin on the phone and eating, but every time I drive my friends' 5-spd eclipse, I fall in love with manual. Hopefully if i get this ROTC scholarship, my 'rents will buy me a nice car like the new Z or gto, in which case I'm going for the 6-spd.

Do you like to talk on the cell while driving? how bout eating? holdin ur girls hand while driving? maybe a little more with ur girl while driving([IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] ya you know what i'm saying)? do you deal with a lot of traffic? if yes, I would go with an auto.
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
I myself have an auto sometimes it's useful cuz I like to talk to ppl on a long drive and eat and drive and the whole gf thing too and whenever I take the car downtown on the weekend there is mad traffic those are the reasons I bought an auto. I just hate the shift between 2nd and 3rd.
Btw why are autos better for Turbo and NO2?
Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

[hr]but then thier is someone thinking "why do u look fast if its a civic"...[hr]
Tooshay! (yea I know its a bastardized spelling of it, LoL!)

Rob, I live in a place where the only heavy traffic is the main road in town. I live in Augusta Georgia (2nd largest city in state), but its nothing compared to atlanta. I don't figure heavy traffic into my decision because honestly we don't have it to bad.

Actually when I like driving, I like silence or music, my fiancee knows this, so we talk very little in the car, we both just relax. But of course sometimes we talk, but thats no big deal.

I don't eat in my cars, nor smoke in them (but I do smoke), don't drink in them either (soda, etc etc), not because I can't do it, but because I care about my interior, doing all of the above, will ruin the interior sooner or later.

And I don't own a cell phone, so the answer is no. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-09-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
well then maybe you should go for the manual. They say once a manual, always a manual. maybe this is why I enjoy my auto still [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] choose what's best for the life you live.
Old 09-09-2002
DGibb

Heres an interesting thread over on the Spec-V forums. http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=53b4e82da6d382d85ca569bf58f3c071& threadid=34934&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Dealing with automatics and some mod called a "valve body recalibration"?
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Having a manual isn't really about being able to launch or to extract every ounce of hp from your engine. For me - it's just about having total control over the vehicle. I dislike driving automatics, because it just drives me nuts that the engine chooses to shift gears arbitrarily instead of when I want it to. When I'm driving a friend's automatic, I even find myself trying to control the upshifting by easing up on the throttle. Whereas with a manual, I can keep the same throttle pressure but shift into the next highest gear myself if I want to.

Same thing goes for getting more power from the engine. I don't want to have to mash on the gas pedal and hope the engine chooses the correct gear to downshift into. Screw that - give me control over the transmission and let me choose which gear and what RPM range I want to end up in myself.

That's just my $0.02... I do admit that automatics are a lot easier to drive. But for my daily driver, better make it a stick.

Old 09-10-2002
illest ma f*cken member

SkiLLzSter is an unknown quantity at this point
i am lazy
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

norweejunwood is an unknown quantity at this point
stick babeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

my old man got me a stick in 1972, a used Datsun 510 (the original rice racer!). Me and three best buds were painters for a big furniture store chain. it was hot and messy. manager comes out and says, "who can drive a stick?" I was the only one to raise a hand. got an instant promotion to furniture delivery truck driver. huge monster truck but guess what? clutch in, gas off, clutch out, gas in - same thing as the 510. no more mess for me.

Fast forward 30 years. I got my kids, 17 and 15, a civic and now they want nothing to do with the other cars (both automatics). both of these punks think they are HOT driving a stick and their friends beg to drive. the 17 year old thinks the civic engine (127 hp) is bigger than the maxima (190 horses). that's the illusion the stick gives. and the honda is absolutely one of the smoothest sticks around, better than Nissan or Toyota, and don't even think about comparing with an american made stick.

so if you don't do the morning commute in a big city. get the stick. easy to sell down the road if you ever want to go back.

P.S. Let the women in the club!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Mekenna is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an auto because.. I'm not about sit there and have to deal with shifting on a one lane per direction, winding road, uphill and downhill with someone moron who breaks to a near stop around each corner for 10 miles. Then once I get to the freeway.. have a nice 10 minutes of driving before I hit stop and go traffic for the next 30 minutes (at least!) until I get to school or work.. blah no thank you! Oh.. and forget friday rush hour traffic.. talk about an hour of stop and go... yes, I'll take my automatic.. I already get irritated enough by driving in these conditions and add the stupid drivers with their heads up their *** on their cell phones...I don't need to have to deal with my car too.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Oishi is an unknown quantity at this point
i had a tight budget when i bought the car...so to save money plus a few more mpg i went with the stick...and i did drive an auto civic...the lower gears seems so slow but yet smooth...
i also like the mini roar of the engine when the revs pass the 4k mark
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

cheesy9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL, this thread is SO true! Yes, I got a stick because of my parents, actually my sister. She's just learning to drive and I have to share the car with her. Oh well, at least it's a semi-cool car...

The Taco Bell and cell phone thing is true too!

I feel like I'm a manual driver at heart, even thought I've barely even learned stick, I rest my hand on the automatic shifter like it is a manual...sometimes I even "shift".

That said, this thread has made me feel better about modding an auto Civic. Just last weekend I pulled up to a parking lot and some kid came over to look at my car and was like "oh...it's an auto"...next time I'll be like "damn straight it's an auto..."
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
well for me the decision for auto is easy... im not afraid to admit that I'm a lazy *** driver.

especially when I'm driving home at 4am and all I can think about is bed... and pressing the gas pedal seems like difficulat labour.

Everyone has the friends who will knock the auto tranny, but they can't knock it when you have a slurrpee and a cell conversation to attend to and can still drive with a moderate amount of control... even at stoplights and corners.

In retrospect, I would drive a stick if I had a stick which could also be switched to auto... because there are just some times when a stick is no good.

~B

P.S. Civics are still fun to drive with an auto [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

ashburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Learn to drive a 5 speed first then decide
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

LuvDatCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual Is funto drive plain and simple....So what that a civic isin't fast. It's all about enjoying what you drive I live in NYC and I have a 5-speed. No complaints here. It keeps me occupied in traffic when I would otherwise be banging my head against the steering wheel cause im pissed and bored that im stuck.
Old 09-10-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Well, these car's are'nt race cars so I'm not about to get a 5-speed pretending it is. All my "mods" have been purely aesthetic. Plus I do alot of stop and go driving and run into alot of traffic. Besides brotha, Auto's rule baby.

One hand on the wheel, and one on the booby.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

ilv4nos is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought an automatic because i liked the car they presented me when i traded my chevy in......after awhile i wanted stick though...of course you can make any transmission faster in my mind....but others think different...

My AutoCivic
Old 09-10-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
My Civic was my first stick car. Don't worry. All I the stick had driven before I bought it was 2 test drives... 45 minutes max. But then again, I was determined to get a stick (my last car was an auto). Just don't show off the first week or 2, learn how to drive it. Go to a parking lot and just practice getting the car into 1st and 2nd. After that, it's easy. You will stall it many times (I did too), don't let it get to you, just keep plugging at it. By the time you hit 500 miles, you'll have the hang of it. It's much more fun than just hitting the gas pedal. Just remember when you're learning... tire spin is better than stalling, so give it some gas. You can also get cool shift ***** for manuals for much cheaper than for autos.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Parents chose the car first. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] Other than that, I have learned to live with it. Manual is nice in any kind of car but I do live in downtown Chicago. Plus I'll be able to sell the car much more easily this way. The perfect example of a car that I would not get with an auto: 2003 Accord Coupe V-6.
Old 09-10-2002
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
I got an automatic cause I didnt know any better. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

cheesy9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL...cooler shift *****...yeah, your bright red shift **** that matches your bright red steering wheel is just sooo cool, isn't it?
Old 09-10-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: cheesy9999
LOL...cooler shift *****...yeah, your bright red shift **** that matches your bright red steering wheel is just sooo cool, isn't it?[hr]

Yes it is... It's comfortable too. Now, that's funny coming from someone who says they have LED washer nozzles, a 4" Exhaust tip that does not specify whether there is a full exhaust attached to it(so it must be one of those bumblebee fart cans), a VTEC windshield banner, and APC neon pedals. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] WoooOOOOO. So tell me how Neon pedals, LED washers and a fart can is cool and the Wheelskins leather cover, the MOMO ****,Boot, pedals is some how stupid looking? If you don't like how it's done, then just STFU, you don't have to do it to yours.
Old 09-10-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
no shame in modding an auto guys [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] even the man himself, 2k1Civic.com, has an auto. what a nice ride
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

voltron622 is an unknown quantity at this point
5speed is fun while you have it. Back in HS, its just simply cool to drive manual. As you get older, you don't care about what others say...it's now what makes your life easier. However, I do agree with the others that say true sport cars need to be manual.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

Collective is an unknown quantity at this point
Married + Children = Automatic/Sedan ! (it happen's to everyone sooner or later)
Old 09-10-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
well i got an auto cuz my dad wouldnt let me get a manual.. so im stuck with it, but its fine with me. im lazy

but AT is good for turbo because you let off the gas to shift right? well of course.. during the time you let off the gas the turbo spools down and you get less boost. but in an AT, the shifts are much quicker, so theres less spool down time. but for nitrous, i have no idea..
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: xHoteKx
well i got an auto cuz my dad wouldnt let me get a manual.. so im stuck with it, but its fine with me. im lazy

but AT is good for turbo because you let off the gas to shift right? well of course.. during the time you let off the gas the turbo spools down and you get less boost. but in an AT, the shifts are much quicker, so theres less spool down time. but for nitrous, i have no idea..[hr]
This premise is incorrect. Turbo spool is based upon the rotation of the engine (RPM's), not on how wide open the throttle is (foot on the gas pedal). With an automatic, the engine will upshift whenever it feels like it. This results in a drop in RPM and thus the turbo spools down.

With a manual, you can choose to rev as high in the powerband as you like and keep the turbo constantly spooled up. The only way RPM's will drop is if you choose to release the throttle, disengage the clutch, or upshift.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

jsmove is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a auto 2k1 and a manual 5th gene. civic. The best of both world's is so cool. I maybe the only one to say this but, I like the auto better.
Old 09-10-2002
Registered!!

blue2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
well this is my first car and my first manual car. all i can say is i will never ever by an auto [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] having a stick i just want to go out and drive. for the hell of it. chirping 1st, 2nd and on the extremely rare occasion, a little peesk out of 3rd just lifts my spirits. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] auto
manual