General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

7th Gen Perfers to be on the Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lstmrbls is an unknown quantity at this point
7th Gen Perfers to be on the Wheels

Well I had a run of bad luck a few weeks back. This story took a while to get on the board because lightning took out my modem.

Anyway. I was driving to a friends house, which is about half an hour away by back roads, and it was raining. A dog ran out in front of me about an eighth of a mile in front of me. I had the cruise control set at 60. I was late so I tried to just go around the dog (Mistake Number 1). The road was a two lane road and the dog was on right on my side of the centre line so I thought I had room to go around him. Well two of my wheels came off the pavement, there being no shoulder. The incline of the road started to pull the car further off the road. I am now watching a mail box and drainage ditch coming up very quickly at me.

At this point I am thinking, "OH S***!" I am am trying to power myself back on the road and then it hit me to turn off the cruise control. Rather than hitting the "Cancel" button, I tap the break (Mistake Number 2). When I tapped the breaks, and I mean really barely touch them, I had two wheels still on the pavement and two in the grass. The two wheels in the grass locked up and sent me sideways.

Now I am not thinking about anything but the fact that I am about to go straight into a tree on the opposite side of the road. I didn't like that idea so I cut the wheel. This sent my car into a spin. As near as I can tell I spun three or four times while still on the pavement and then came off. Once in the mud the car spun once more before the wheels caught in the mud and they were pulled off the rims. The car also went airborne at this time. It flew for about eight feet before coming down on the roof. Once back on the ground it rolled twice more, finally coming to a stop back on its wheels facing the opposite direction from the original direction of travel.

I was the only one in the car and I was a bit shaken up but *completely* unharmed. The car is pretty bad off. The back window and both back-seat windows are gone. The two windows in the doors are unharmed and the front windscreen is cracked to high heaven, sunroof undamaged. There is very little body damage other than the roof. The paramedics could not believe that I walked away from the accident. I suffered a mild concusion. The insurance company is saying there is 10k worth of damage.

Anyway. My point to posting this, other than to just gripe about wrecking my car, is to say that the civic really can keep the driver and passengers safe. The car maybe really damaged but I am fine. The car is just a piece of metal. It is a material object. Sure I am going to miss it and sure I loved it but I am fine and that is the important part. Just thought I would pass this along.
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

MexMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a close call man! Someone was watching over you on that one. Glad to hear you are alive! Dude....just hit the damn dog next time! I've almost ran off the road for a bird and after I was like.....next time the bird is roadkill!
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

noypirider is an unknown quantity at this point
we all know that our civic have a 5 star safety ratings. i'm glad you are alright, however, you still lost your civic. are you going to get a new civic or get another car brand?
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

Mazer is an unknown quantity at this point
I've hit three animals with my civic. A duck that was in the middle of the road, a cat that acutally ran into the side of my car and a crow that flew in front of me. The only damage to my car is that the flimsy plastic piece on the bottom of the bumper is bent a little (from the duck)
Old 08-06-2002
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
damn that sux to hear what happened
glad that your alright though
so what are you planning on doing with the car? total it?
what car you gonna get, or you just gonna fix it up?
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

nuffsed is an unknown quantity at this point
it's good to hear that you are alright... and u are right about the car just being a material object... they can be replaced... but you can't...
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
[hr]Originally posted by: Mazer
I've hit three animals with my civic. A duck that was in the middle of the road, a cat that acutally ran into the side of my car and a crow that flew in front of me. The only damage to my car is that the flimsy plastic piece on the bottom of the bumper is bent a little (from the duck)[hr]
hahahahahahahahahaha....dude, do you like watch the road at all? or what? three animals???? maybe you should youse the brake pedal a bit too....hahahahahaha
j/p

sorry bout your car dude...however you spell your name.
Old 08-06-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
In the last year, I have killed 9 Furry Woodland Creatures, 8 in my old Nissan, 1 in the Civic. Never nailed a dog... I bet that would do some damage, but you can probably get on the dog's owner for that (it shouldn't have been out in the street in the first place). Birds usually aren't too bad because they're light, things that run across the ground make a mess because it's usually the wheels that get them (Splat).... Then I have to go to the car wash, because I'm not scrubbing that stuff off by hand. Sometimes you can't help the instinct to swerve, but you do also have to remember the brakes are there and they are your friend... 1/8 of a mile is 660 feet, you can stop a Civic from 60 MPH 4 times in that distance. It is good to hear that Honda has done their job. I feel a lot better knowing the car will hold its structural integrity.
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear you are ok. You are like the 3rd person in the past month and a half or so that i have heard of them rolling their civic and walking away virtually unharmed.
Old 08-06-2002

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: noypirider
we all know that our civic have a 5 star safety ratings. i'm glad you are alright, however, you still lost your civic. are you going to get a new civic or get another car brand?[hr]
after the accident i had in my 94 civic, i couldn't imagine buying anything else and living through such a deal. i had to get another civic, and i had to get a new one.
Old 08-06-2002
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Mazer
I've hit three animals with my civic. A duck that was in the middle of the road, a cat that acutally ran into the side of my car and a crow that flew in front of me. The only damage to my car is that the flimsy plastic piece on the bottom of the bumper is bent a little (from the duck)[hr]
same thing happend to my stock bumper but no duck was involved lol just a g/f that can drive lol
Old 08-06-2002
Premium Member

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
[hr]At this point I am thinking, "OH S***!" I am am trying to power myself back on the road and then it hit me to turn off the cruise control. Rather than hitting the "Cancel" button, I tap the break (Mistake Number 2). When I tapped the breaks, and I mean really barely touch them, I had two wheels still on the pavement and two in the grass. The two wheels in the grass locked up and sent me sideways.[hr]
i dont understand how the wheels would lock up. if u have ex the abs thingy would have turned on. well actually abs wouldnt turn on at all since u didnt even slam the breaks.
i own a lx no abs and ive slammed on my breaks. i just slid. but why would only 2 wheels lock up on one side?
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

lstmrbls is an unknown quantity at this point
About a new car. If the insurance company does decide to total it, then I am either getting another 7th Gen Civic or if I can find a 2000 Prelude for the same money I might go with that. I liked my Civic and so I would really like another, but I dont think I could resist the Prelude. If they fix it, it is going to be 2 months before I have a car. Bicycles suck.

And about the breaks. I think the reason that only the right side wheels locked up was that they were on wet grass. I have no idea if I am insane or what. From what happened, this is the only explaination that I can come up with. There was a skid mark in the grass from where I tapped the breaks. Anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-06-2002

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've noticed with mine that the ABS doesn't immediately engage. It seems like I get a split second of lockup before ABS kicks in, which is really all you need to throw car out of control.
Old 08-06-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
hmmmm.... the cruise control should cancel when you hit the brakes... why was it a mistake??? still sux about you're car though...
Old 08-06-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i got in an accident whne a cat ran out into the road at the middle of the night, the cop that gave me the ticket later said "next time you see something running out to the road, kill it" [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
First, sorry about your car man, that sucks - but I'm glad you're still with us.

Now let's see, my turn for story time. First, a couple weeks ago I was on a road trip and this bird flies out in front of me and just clipped the passneger side mirror. I got home a few hours later and found a small feather stuck in the mirror, and a clump of bird crap on the hood. Poor little guy sh¡t himself ...
Oh, and I had a similar accident in a little Toyota Tercel. I was driving (before I got my license) and it was my gf car at the time. We were driving on a gravel road and I was going a bit faster than the speed limit when we came to this sharp right turn. I, in my infinite wisdom, figured it best to not step on the brakes, thinking that would make us slide, so instead we take the turn going way too fast, wound up going into the ditch on the other side of the road and went up the embankment beyond the ditch. This made the car roll, and we landed on the hood. The car was totalled, and of the 4 of us in the car, I was the most injured - I had a few cuts on my hand. Yeah, it sucked, but the girl stayed with me for almost a year after that - crazy ..

Anyways, again I'm sorry about your car man. Such a shame, but I'm glad you survived, and weren't severely injured too!
Old 08-06-2002
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn dude. Thats come crazy ish. Glad you're ok.

-Kre
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
CIVICS RULE WOOOOO

..but really... if its not human... its not worth your life...two words

road kill