General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Knowledge everyone should know...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kairi is an unknown quantity at this point
Knowledge everyone should know...

Okay - this was posted December 4th, 2001 12:05 pm by antidote11 (don't ask me how I know - I just saved the damn thing..) but EVERYONE should know this - I'm just posting it up because I always remembered when I was newbier, it helped my decisions on my car modifications ALOT.

"OK, I see a lot of posts with people asking questions about intakes and headers, etc....So here is the real deal.

Our cars have VTEC Engines....a VTEC engine has most of it's power, if not all, in the upper RPMs, after 3500.
That's why a VTEC engine is called a "High-Reving" engine. So to make a long story short, our cars don't really get up and go until the RPMs reach over 3500. The powerband lies between 3500 / 4000 to Redline on a VTEC engine. So with that said, here's the break down.

A short Ram Intake will get you more power from 3500 RPMs to Redline.

A Cold Air intake will give you a little more torque, but power in the lower bands...Idle to 3500 RPMs.

4-2-1 Headers will give you lower end power, and a little more torque.

4-1 "Race" headers will give you more power from 3500/4000 RPMs to Redline.

A Cat back Exhaust gives you power throughout the power band...Idle - Redline.

Pulley Kits, whether Accessory or Crank, will give you power throughout the power band, Idle - Redline.

A supercharger will give you more torque and lower end power....idle - 3500 / 4000 RPMs.

A turbocharger will give you higher end power...4000 RPM to Redline.

Crankshafts and cam-gears will give you power throughout the powerband.

And for you that are concerned with handling.....To produce understeer (our cars come stock with tons of it) you would loosen the front suspensin and tighten the rear.

To produce oversteer (fish-tailing) you would tighten the front suspension and loosen the rear.

And I think that about sums it up.

Hope this helps some of you.So, in a nutshell, if you want quickness off the line, go for the lower end power creators....if you want to just go fast period, go for the high-end power creators. Remember, our cars have VTEC engines, they don't power up until 4000 RPM anyways !!

Take Care All !!

-----------------------------------------------
Rolling through Dallas with Red Eyes "

k - that's the info, make it common sense/knowledge to you, and your good to go!

-Kairi
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

pdxbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Good info
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Kairi
Remember, our cars have VTEC engines, they don't power up until 4000 RPM anyways !![hr]
Correction, the EX trim level of our cars have iVtec engines. DX & LX models (like mine) don't. *sigh*

Aside from that, thanks for the info. Good to know!
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: BlueFlame
Remember, our cars have VTEC engines, they don't power up until 4000 RPM anyways !![hr]
Correction, the EX trim level of our cars have iVtec engines. DX & LX models (like mine) don't. *sigh*

Aside from that, thanks for the info. Good to know![hr]
Umm...NO. The EX trim has the VTEC-E--quite different from i-VTEC.
Old 08-02-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What's the difference between VTEC and iVTEC?

IronFist
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Okay - this was posted December 4th, 2001 12:05 pm by antidote11 (don't ask me how I know - I just saved the damn thing..) but EVERYONE should know this - I'm just posting it up because I always remembered when I was newbier, it helped my decisions on my car modifications ALOT.

"OK, I see a lot of posts with people asking questions about intakes and headers, etc....So here is the real deal.

Our cars have VTEC Engines....a VTEC engine has most of it's power, if not all, in the upper RPMs, after 3500.
That's why a VTEC engine is called a "High-Reving" engine. So to make a long story short, our cars don't really get up and go until the RPMs reach over 3500. The powerband lies between 3500 / 4000 to Redline on a VTEC engine. So with that said, here's the break down.

A short Ram Intake will get you more power from 3500 RPMs to Redline.

A Cold Air intake will give you a little more torque, but power in the lower bands...Idle to 3500 RPMs.

4-2-1 Headers will give you lower end power, and a little more torque.

4-1 "Race" headers will give you more power from 3500/4000 RPMs to Redline.

A Cat back Exhaust gives you power throughout the power band...Idle - Redline.

Pulley Kits, whether Accessory or Crank, will give you power throughout the power band, Idle - Redline.

A supercharger will give you more torque and lower end power....idle - 3500 / 4000 RPMs.

A turbocharger will give you higher end power...4000 RPM to Redline.

Crankshafts and cam-gears will give you power throughout the powerband.

And for you that are concerned with handling.....To produce understeer (our cars come stock with tons of it) you would loosen the front suspensin and tighten the rear.

To produce oversteer (fish-tailing) you would tighten the front suspension and loosen the rear.

And I think that about sums it up.

Hope this helps some of you.So, in a nutshell, if you want quickness off the line, go for the lower end power creators....if you want to just go fast period, go for the high-end power creators. Remember, our cars have VTEC engines, they don't power up until 4000 RPM anyways !!

Take Care All !!

-----------------------------------------------
Rolling through Dallas with Red Eyes "

k - that's the info, make it common sense/knowledge to you, and your good to go!

-Kairi[hr]

You should not take this to be holy writ, however, as there are many other factors at play which would affect how much power--if any--the above mods produce, as well as how that power is put down to the road.

A good tuning regimen would combine dyno and road testing.

It is, however, a good start.
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

FroggerDude is an unknown quantity at this point
ivtec spreads the powerband to lower rpm's as well as the high's i believe.
vtec usually is only engaged in the higher rpm's 3500+
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: IronFist

IronFist[hr]
When u have some time, read these:

VTEC explained

i-VTEC explained
Old 08-02-2002
JDM WHORE!!!

JDMCIVIC will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the links I really learned alot.
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Kairi is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]

You should not take this to be holy writ, however, as there are many other factors at play which would affect how much power--if any--the above mods produce, as well as how that power is put down to the road.

A good tuning regimen would combine dyno and road testing.

It is, however, a good start.[hr]

It doesn't say how much power each mod. gives, it's just to help understand where the power is given

[hr]

IronFist [hr]
A really quick easy explanation or way to look at it is this: Vtec has 2 stages - RPM below 4300, RPM over 4300. When the RPM's get over 4300, a better performence cam switches in (I think?) and you get better performence. I-VTEC has three stages of this, RPm's below X (I donno, let's just use 3000), RPM's over X (3000), and RPm's over Y (lets just say 5000). Each time the RPM's get over a certain variable, the other cam switches in for better performence. But you should read the other links for a really good knowledge of Vtec systems.
Hope that helps

-Kairi