General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

VW Passat W8 4-Motion

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
VW Passat W8 4-Motion

Well, it is finally out. 4.0L V8--sorry, W8... with 270ish horsepower. Great. And it's pricey. A lot of questions have been poppng up as which car this class belongs in. I think it's an outcast.... let me explain why.

First of all, the top reason for anyone to buy this car would be the performance. But it doesn't live up to the hype (further concluding my opinion on VW/Audi not being able to make powerful naturally aspirated engines). It is slower than the Acura 3.2TL Type-S, BMW 330i and Infinity G35. Nor does it handle as well as them, nor does it brake as well.

Second reason might be it's smoothness and quietness of the silky V8....... or not! It is not as quiet as the Lexus ES300 (or the Camry V6 for that matter), nor does it ride as well.

Third might be the technology marvel--the ability to stuff a V8 into a compact sedan body. Well, gee, Mercedes has been stuffing the 4.3L V8 into their CLKs (C-Class chassis) for long time. Heck, this year, they are stuffing a 5.0L in there! So what's so damn great about stuffing a lousy 4.0L in there? Advertising hype. I know what a W8 really is--two 4 bangers bunched in together. The engine in return viberates so much, they had to fit a counter-viberation mount on it.

VW indeed claims that the Passat W8 is in a class of its own--the overpriced, undervalued class, if you ask me. So why the hell did that make this car? I think for one reason.

VW visions that someday, they will be able to go toe-to-toe with Mercedes. Why they don't leave the luxery market to Audi, I don't know. So in order to elevated the Passat's image past the common mid-size sedan class (it's main competition being Camry, Accord, Taurus, Impala and Intrepid), they decided to stuff a V8--sorry, a W8, into it. Traditionally, V8s are in luxery cars. Hence, changing the image. They charge an arm and a leg for this car... right away, you think of BMW, Lexus and Mercedes as the immediate competition, hence, raising it's status.

Smart! And I think my opinion is correct. They are building only 5,000 a year. Hardly for any profit, considering Camry and Accord each pumps over 180,000 units per year.
Old 07-29-2002
Registered!!

thx1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to mention that it looks like sh#t, like any other VW. Just not my taste.
Anyway, they're also going a step further into Audi/Merc/BMW territory, with the VW Pheaton. Either with a V6 for about $85.000 or with a W12 for $145.000. But once again, they look like sh#t. Just not my taste.
Old 07-29-2002
Registered!!

Wantobedoneup is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey but the vw guys are stuffing one of those into a gti !!! know that could be interesting i think that this engine is actaully going to e used for the new w8 corrado!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2002
Registered!!

Bulletboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I went on a test drive with a friend of mine in one. That thing might be big and totally VW looking, but damn it will move for a VW. After all, it is 270hp.
Old 07-29-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Wantobedoneup
Hey but the vw guys are stuffing one of those into a gti !!! know that could be interesting i think that this engine is actaully going to e used for the new w8 corrado!!!!!![hr]

What good is that W8 Corrado, when it'll be spanked by a G35 Coupe, 330i Coupe, CL Type-S, etc etc? (just as how the W8 gets smoked by the sedan versions of the cars I mentioned)