General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

is 170 HP Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZRPM is an unknown quantity at this point
is 170 HP Possible?

Do you guys think 170 HP is possible out of the 1.7 VTEC engine? I'm thinking ported and polished heads, divverent cam, pistons, whatever. Is it possible without forced inductrion or nitrous?

Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO, no. i'll buy you a [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] if you can prove me wrong [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I think so. The keyword being stroker. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Anything else is chump change.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Anything is possible to a certain extent. It's all about the money. Heck, you could throw a jet engine in there if your wallet is big enough. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's feasible, with a turbo, and EVERYTHING ELSE available for the D block. . . but anything less than that and things are a little less feasible. . .
Old 06-27-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
yes. it is very possible.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
its also possible that i can shoot a gerbal 100 yards if i stick it in an APEX-i dunk muffler and start the car.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

Gyger is an unknown quantity at this point
The motor got screwed when it came to HP but to hit 170 is definetly possible.

Venom Intake Man.
Honed TB
Different cam
lighter fly wheel
CAI Intake
Get more air to the motor (intake man. intake system TB) boost the injector size up 4-7 lbs

The colder the engine the better the HP
B&M Oil Cooler
Different Water pump
Thermostat

I know that with the proper knowledge you could make 170 fwhp N/A
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
those mods you mentioned arnt going to get you anywhere near 170 WHP.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

ZRPM is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm talking Crank HP, not WHP. I think WHP is a real stretch. Bu given enough $$, I think it may be possible to massage 170 Crank HP out of the 1.7.

Turbo, Nitrous or Supercharger may be cheaper, but I like the thought of a N/A 100 HP/liter Engine.... Wish they had just dropped B16's into these rather than developing a new, less powerful engine....
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
About how much more HP in gains can we get from Port, Polish & decked. I heard a friend of mine say a good 8hp, which I think is a lil low for about $800 job. What you think. We can we get more gain, besides turbo, superchargers pockets are kinda emtpy from doing body work and paint.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: ZRPM
I'm talking Crank HP, not WHP.[hr]
[hr] "I know that with the proper knowledge you could make 170 fwhp N/A" [hr]
FWHP = Front Wheel Horse Power. Emphasis on the WHEEL part. No, you didnt say "crank" hp.

And a port and polish isnt going to get you anywhere near what forced induction, N20 or an increase in displacement will get you. I can see 8 WHP out of it on an otherwise stock 1.7 tho.

Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with JoeB16. Also, take note that though a p&p provides only a small amount of hp, it increases the potential hp increases for your engine with things such as i/h/e.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: dragoon
I agree with JoeB16. Also, take note that though a p&p provides only a small amount of hp, it increases the potential hp increases for your engine with things such as i/h/e.[hr]
or more important things that would take advantage of a PnP engine like FORCED INDUCTIOn, NITROUS, and/or an INCREASE IN DISPLACEMENT.

It sucks when you want to go fast, but already spent all your cash on useless things like body kits and odd paint schemes huh?

Old 06-27-2002
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
joeb16 is right. im not really goign to feel any big power gains until i do FI or nitrous. yes there is more power but not enough to let me stay in a race with joeb16
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

C1V1CSiR is an unknown quantity at this point
well it would be possible if you got a accord, my old one had 160 stock '99 accord sedan 5speed

Old 06-27-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: Spider883
joeb16 is right. im not really goign to feel any big power gains until i do FI or nitrous. yes there is more power but not enough to let me stay in a race with joeb16[hr]
No he's not. Maybe he didn't understand what I meant by stroker? A stroker engine is one that has a longer stroke than stock. You do this by buying shorter pistons and/or shorter connecting rods. This increases the capacity of the engine. I don't know how much is possible with our D17's, but maybe we could get a 2.0l engine. That's basically all you need to make that infamous 170 quote. That and all of those other little NA mods. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

yea, or maybe you didnt read and/or understand when I wrote "INCREASE IN DISPLACEMENT".
Old 06-27-2002
9K Redline Owns U

a stocker would be nice. i have to call up JE and see. but thats some major money.
Old 06-27-2002
DIY King

No, I read that. I just wanted to make sure you understood that. So there's no argument here. The question at hand has been answered and your first response to this thread is oh so out of place isn't it?
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

stRoker, not stocker. "Stroking" an engine increases displacement without boring out your engine. This is usually accompliushed by adding pistons and other internal pieces which allow the "stroke" of the engines pistons to become elongated and therefore increasing displacement. Grey seems to either be unaware of that or is just posting things without actually READING my replys [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

lastweek is an unknown quantity at this point
dude you could just buy another 1.6el and tie it to yours with fishing line and get 170hp lol. seriously though i dont think you could stroker that engine to 2.0l thats just too big my brother knows more about it than i do and when i asked him what he thought he just laughed at me lol cry. dude why did you pick 170 out of the blue is that like the magic horsepower number or something lol. dude did you get intake exhaust headers cams radiator brakes and all that stuff yet lol. dude if you did its gonna get harder after that at least thats what my brother says lol
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]\your first response to this thread is oh so out of place isn't it?[hr]

no, it was pretty damn funny if you ask me. lmao@"gerbal".
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: lastweek
dude you could just buy another 1.6el and tie it to yours with fishing line and get 170hp lol. seriously though i dont think you could stroker that engine to 2.0l thats just too big my brother knows more about it than i do and when i asked him what he thought he just laughed at me lol cry. dude why did you pick 170 out of the blue is that like the magic horsepower number or something lol. dude did you get intake exhaust headers cams radiator brakes and all that stuff yet lol. dude if you did its gonna get harder after that at least thats what my brother says lol[hr]
Yea, stroking a 1.7l is much harder then stroking a B16 1.6l to 2.0 liters...

Geee, I think thats only been done a couple of hundred thousand times before...

the only thing that would make it "harder" would be lack of premanufactured engine internals for said engine. difficulty of the process however, remains the same.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

dude did you even read what i wrote i mean have you ever tried to stroke a 1.7l to 2.0l lol. my brother tried but it is a lot harder than i think you think lol. its easy to stroke an engine an even amount of liters like .4 but it is really hard to do .3 because of the natural vibrations of the engine lol. first you need a whole other harmonic dampener to keep the engine from rattling the car apart and that is tough to get for a 1.7 because there arent many of them around but you need more air and fuel too but not too much it is easy to add the air and fuel to the 1.6 again because of the even increment of stroking with the 1.7 if you make a mistake you can get little rocks in the engine and then you have basically screwed the whole thing up i mean there is a lot of planning involved in this lol
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

oh yea........... rocks i forgot about those.

edit: i didnt notice who you were. My bad, please forget the reply i made to your post [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2002
9K Redline Owns U

aww are the clubsi buddies makeing up. how cute. what dont u go si rave somewhere else
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
To get 170hp is pretty hard from just port polishing and an intake.Try getting at least a 50 shot of NOS.
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

dude can you read i guess not he said no nitro lol. i hate liars lol
Old 06-27-2002
Registered!!

DC5@EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that where he got 170hp is from that honda concept civic that had P&P done, throttle body, and other parts. But I dont trust what they say because honda is notorious for not stating the true horsepower of their cars. Thats the only thing I hate about Honda.

Quick Reply: is 170 HP Possible?