General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Whats your take on Subaru's WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WesDLuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats your take on Subaru's WRX?

When my Huyandia Excel craped out, I wanted to get a Subaru WRX; but I didn't have enought money.

Did any of you look at the Subaru WRX? What did you think? Why did you end up with the Civic?
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

ScottieEX is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend has one, i've driven it also. i think its a great car and very fast! just slightly outa my price range[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually drove the 2001 WRX in sedan and wagon configuration and absolutely loved it!! IMO it is one of the best compact sports cars out there...~170WHP and AWD make for a fun ride. Unfortunately, at the time Subaru was not making any deals and I was a little short on cash. Add to that the fact that my local Honda dealer gave top dollar on my trade, got me a 4.2% APR, made my first payment, required no additional down payment and fully warranted all mods to the car...well, it was a no-brainer to get the Civic.

I am not disappointed, although I feel Honda could have given the car a better engine than a recycled D17...but with a deal like the one I got, whaddaya gonna do?
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah i would love to have bought a WRX, but it was a bit out of my price range. I really like them, and with any luck it will be a possiablility for my next car.
Old 06-04-2002
APS
Registered!!

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
My buddy got one and took it up to Cobb Tuning up in Dallas. SH IT!!! he got himself a turbo upgrade, intercoller, chip, exhaust, intake, and it was tuned. After dyno, it was 317 Hp at the wheels!!!! His car is friggin fast, not to mention it is a total sleeper.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

IonRays is an unknown quantity at this point
Get your red hot stuff

get your red hot stuff here!

wrx is very tail happy goin buck on a parkin lot..i luv it i luv ittttttttt!!!!!
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

FlexEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Its a bad muthafvcka!

bought my 'Vicky b4 it came out, besides, she alot better looking than the WRX
Old 06-04-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point
The WRX is a BEAST. It's eaten me alive many a time . . .
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
When I get married in a couple of years, I am giving my wife the Civic and I am getting the WRX. Simple as that.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

HippyCivicEX012 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wanted an impreza for like 3 years now, i just couldnt afford the payment what they wanted down, i test drove bothe the wagon and sedan and loved them both. i got the civic cause i wanted a safe reliable car and one that i can do anything too
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

HippyCivicEX012 is an unknown quantity at this point
True uncle b i had the same plan
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Spazbitte is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait and get the Lancer Evolution if you got the money to get a WRX. Not to knock the wrx but the Lancer wins hands down.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
If your a straw man it's great, but the car is not build for "McDonalds Super Sized Americans"

At 5-11 205 lbs, having those seats mash my mountain biking, hill hiking, $hit kicking cow consuming legs together like I was some svelte 140 lb cigarette smoking man must be Subarus idea of a JOKE, everyone says the seats are the BEST, Bull, I've taken several Industrial Engineering courses, I'm pretty much a cheif demographic. Subaru missed the six sigma boat by about 4 sigma. they need to take a seat lesson from honda or Nissan We're big FATTIES over here, you best design accordingly.

And the lack of a sunroof doesn't help matters either...

Even if the car is a wicked ride.

I'm waiting to see if the guys at mitsubishi dont repeat some of subarus stupider mistakes (read: sports seats OPTIONAL).
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a tight squeeze but I like the car. I just can't believe it's $35000 CDN, to me, it seems like you're paying too much for it. Also, it doesn't help that people are willing to pay that price. As for reviews, everyone focuses on the perfomance, the build quality however is slightly less than average.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

klam is an unknown quantity at this point
The same goes for me, at $35,000 CAD it is pretty up there in price. Again, everybody focuses on the performance. Sure that's great if you're looking for a track car, but at $35,000 CAD you can get a lot of good cars for about the same price or slightly more: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, Infiniti G35, Acura TL/CL, Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport Coupe! These aren't bad performing cars, but I'm sure built quality is better, and it feels like a $35,000 car.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Duckor is an unknown quantity at this point
i love the WRX. the car can look sweet but the interior is fugly. who ever said wait for the evo 7, you might as well wait for the STI then. not sure what the price of the evo/sti will be tho. The price is pretty steep, but the performance is awesome. the reason i didnt go for a wrx is because that car isnt as comfy as my civic and the price was way out of range.

edit: my friend just traded in his 98 M3 for a C-230... i hate him[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the wrx is ugly, sure the performance is sa-weet but it looks stupid imo

akira agrees
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

galaga3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I heard that subaru is releasing a special edition wrx next year with a re-designed front end. Also, you can't forget about the new sti wrx coming out soon that'll give the evoVII a run for its money.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

If the STi ever comes out though, how much would it go for? $38K CDN, $40K CDN, $42K CDN? They can charge whatever they want for it but that is getting way too pricey! Like what Klam said, I would rather spend $35K and have the car feel like a $35K car! I personally would opt for an Audi A4 or an Infinity G35 instead of the WRX! Now, if the STi is $40K, I'd rather save my money and buy a Boxster S or BMW M3, sure, a lot more money but come on, those cars remind you on a daily basis that you in fact got what you paid for! Drive either one and you'll see!
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

The STi is comming, it will probably be in the 26-27 range.

The word from mitsu was that the EVO would be here for "under 30 grand" which everyone thought to mean 28k.

Mitsu has since stressed that the EVO will be available for "WELL under 30 grand".

So look for these pocket rockets to be fairly affordable in the 25+ range..
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Fairly affordable? You should have said affordable to some but not your everyday driver! So, say the STi comes in at $26K US, thats like what 41,000 - 42,000 CDN? Then throw taxes on it & freight, etc... and your looking at a $45000 car! So, if I could put a $10,000 down and take a 5 year loan to make the payments more affordable, I would have to pay $700 a month for 5 years for that car. Man, honda has it made for making cars affordable & fun!
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
fast and pretty[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point
To me the interior of the car wasn't me. It was too cheap. The whole car looked cheap and its looks didn't help either. Performance is defintely up there but I'd rather go for something that a little more expensive and used i.e Mercedes C43 or Audi S4.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
Snowman is right. My ideal sedan would be an Audi S4 with some upgrades.
WRX is awesome for the price though.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

FroggerDude is an unknown quantity at this point
The Evo is my dream car. i like the WRX too but the look of that thing just doesn't flow.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

DxMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
My take: it's ugly, fast, and not gonna be reliable. I would love to lease a car like that (if I had to lease), but I don't think that I would purchase one. Turbos do not a reliable car make, and Subaru isn't known for producing all that reliable a car to begin with (still better than American junk tho). To me long term reliability is something I stress in a car purchase. Sure the car will be sweet for 40K miles, but how cool will your car be when you have to shell out $4000 for a new turbo, or worse at 50K miles. I also hear that they have major problems with their trannys. This tends to be the case with AWD cars and unfortunatly also adds to the cost of repairs to drivetrain parts.

Since I, and probably most on this board, don't have the loot to have a $26K 'track car', the reliability issue will quickly come into play. I need not mention that the mods people are doing to the WRX such as chipping it to run at higher levels of boost further hurt the reliability and overall street driveability of this vehicle.

If I could have one for free - I'd take it.
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: DxMaN
My take: it's ugly, fast, and not gonna be reliable. I would love to lease a car like that (if I had to lease), but I don't think that I would purchase one. Turbos do not a reliable car make, and Subaru isn't known for producing all that reliable a car to begin with (still better than American junk tho). To me long term reliability is something I stress in a car purchase. Sure the car will be sweet for 40K miles, but how cool will your car be when you have to shell out $4000 for a new turbo, or worse at 50K miles. I also hear that they have major problems with their trannys. This tends to be the case with AWD cars and unfortunatly also adds to the cost of repairs to drivetrain parts. [hr]

I could NOT DISAGREE MORE:

As to subaru's inherently low reliability:
He's Off His Bloody ROCKER!

As to turbo cars not being reliable:
How old are you? you seem to be stuck in the early 80's? or at least you are that misinformed... The last cars that needed the turbo's swaped out every 100k were the saab 900's and BUICK GN's of 1985....

As for subarus driveline and tranny problems:
This driveline has been in existance for some time now, as they claim "rally proven" - it also happens to be time proven...
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

DxMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Someone asked for opinions, I gave one. You'll note that the link you gave doesn't have data for the current WRX years, obviously since they are current. There's no telling if the WRX will be a lemon or not (or the Civic for that matter). 'Race-proven' doesn't mean squat to me. Do you have mechanics that overhaul your daily driver every time that you use it? Race-proven is a good way to design handiling components and stuff like that, but gives no data as to what is actually reliable in long-term, real-life situations.

I still hold to what I said about turbos. If the WRX turns out to be a champ still running at 100K miles, so be it. I just really doubt this current model will be that reliable.
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

Race proven is supposed to be good? How many engines do they blow in any kind of racing? Nascar, Indy, F1, rally, etc...? A engine/components are usually good for 1 race/series until they have to be replaced or repaired. Sure, it works in racing but whats the realiability?
Old 06-05-2002
Registered!!

Lianjie is an unknown quantity at this point
my brother wanted to get a new car, and i also told him to get the new wrx or a rsx... both have a lot of potential not to mention they are already fast as hell.. only thing i dont like about the wrx is how the hiny looks

Quick Reply: Whats your take on Subaru's WRX?