General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

When to use low gear on automatic.

Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RickA is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile When to use low gear on automatic.

This is just a general question/discussion. I have a 2008 Honda Civic with automatic transmission. It has 4 forward gears, D, 1, 2, 3 (low). I never have occasion to use any gear except D - ever, ever, ever 8-). I don't climb steep hills, I don't pull things, etc. So, is it bad to never use gears 1, 2, and 3? Do they need to stay lubricated, or anything? Can I use them to slow down when approaching a red light, as one would with a manual trans. Will that save my brakes some, or is that bad for my transmission. And even a more wide-open question, why does any small, automatic sedan need 4 gears? Does anyone use these gears? Just interested in thoughts on the matter... thanks!
Old 09-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When to use low gear on automatic.

Originally Posted by RickA
This is just a general question/discussion. I have a 2008 Honda Civic with automatic transmission. It has 4 forward gears,
The car is equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission.
Not 4.

The gear numbering on the shifter doesn't have to correspond exactly to the actual transmission. "D" position covers 4th and 5th gears.

D, 1, 2, 3 (low). I never have occasion to use any gear except D - ever, ever, ever 8-). I don't climb steep hills, I don't pull things, etc. So, is it bad to never use gears 1, 2, and 3?
Not a problem.

Ever needed to use your spare tire and jack?
No? Throw them out.

Maybe 90% of drivers will never have a real need to use (manual) 1st gear. That leaves 10% who may really need it, and it's there for them when they need it.
Ever drive up and down Pikes Peak? I have, and I don't live anywhere near real mountains.
You should go there sometime and check it out, learn what a 'sand pit' on the side of the road is for.

If you get stuck in snow, using manual 2nd can help ....if you understand why it can help.
I hear there can be occasional freak snowstorms in the south, and it's absolute chaos when it happens.

Do they need to stay lubricated, or anything?
The transmission uses all 5 forward gears every time you drive.
As far as moving the shift lever to those lower gear ranges once in a while, maybe. But if you've never needed them, you'll never need them. Right?

Can I use them to slow down when approaching a red light, as one would with a manual trans. Will that save my brakes some, or is that bad for my transmission.
Downshifting for engine braking just moves wear and tear from the brakes to the transmission.
Brakes are cheap and easy. A transmission is neither cheap nor easy....

That said, I do it every once in a while for reasons...but definitely not a habit.

And even a more wide-open question, why does any small, automatic sedan need 4 gears? Does anyone use these gears? Just interested in thoughts on the matter... thanks!
You have a 5 speed transmission.

Hell, we've got 6 speed manuals and automatics in several cars. Why does a tiny little Honda Fit need a 6 speed manual trans?

Honda is using a 9 speed auto trans now, and word is there's an 11 speed trans coming real soon.

The idea behind more gears in an automatic trans is it makes it easier to keep the engine RPM within its powerband and peak efficiency.

HTH