General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

New member and prospective Honda buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slow_dime is an unknown quantity at this point
New member and prospective Honda buyer

Hello all,
My truck was unfortunately the victim of a falling tree today. While I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance on how much I'll be getting as a settlement (probably no more than a few grand at most) I've been looking around at cars to buy. I've been semi seriously considering a Civic for a while and figured I would come here to have some questions answered.
I've been looking mostly on craigslist at Civics from 1998 to 2002 or so, preferably no more than $3000. One of my biggest questions pertains to mileage and what is considered 'high mileage' for a Civic. A lot of the one's I've seen in my price range are anywhere from 150,000 to 200,000 or so. I know that maintenance history is a good indicator of how long any vehicle will last and I plan to inspect any potential purchase thoroughly before I buy it. All I really need is something to get me from home to school and work until I'm done with my degree, but I would like to not have the motor or trans crap out on me within a year either.
FWIW I only drive about 8,000 miles a year or so

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New member and prospective Honda buyer

Welcome to the forums! Well if you're looking for a reliable cheapie, a well-maintained civic is one of your best bets! One of the biggest things you need to ask about is when the timing belt was replaced. It is a costly, time consuming issue that WILL destroy your engine if neglected for too long.
Old 11-12-2014
Registered!!

slow_dime is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I've done some work on a Civic before (a 2002), adjusted valve clearances, plugs, filters, fluids, etc. The timing belt looked like a pain to get to.
Old 11-12-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by slow_dime
The timing belt looked like a pain to get to.
Yep, I like doing my own maintenance, but I decided to outsource it when I saw that changing it involves lifting the engine. No thanks.
Old 11-12-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum! Civics can last a long time if they are taken care of! With that said try and stay away with something over 180,000 if possible. Wanna buy something that still has some life in it and not having a money pit.