General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

gsr motor b18c1

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsrteggy2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
gsr motor b18c1

Ok so im just gettin ito the import scene and want to build the motor right. I have a 96 Integra gsr with the origanal b18c1. Its all stock now. I want to build an all motor car. Do I pull the motor and start from the bottom? Car runs strong now, no issues with motor. Where to start?
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: gsr motor b18c1

Originally Posted by gsrteggy2014
Ok so im just gettin ito the import scene and want to build the motor right. I have a 96 Integra gsr with the origanal b18c1. Its all stock now. I want to build an all motor car. Do I pull the motor and start from the bottom? Car runs strong now, no issues with motor. Where to start?
Upgrade all the internals: rods, pistons, port and polish, balancing, valve springs, bolts, type r cams etc. You will prob have to pull the motor to do this properly. Also upgrade your engine mounts.

GET IT DYNO TUNED, with Hondata.

Get a proper suspension set up to put the power to the ground, honestly i'd do this first, it will make a huge difference. A lot of people tend to be cheapskates in this department. Don't buy off brand shocks and springs, stay away from Megan, D2 coilovers/springs (there is a reason why they are cheap). Buy name brand shocks and springs, they have been proven to outperform those knockoff brands. Tein, Koni, Bilstein, etc...

My buddy has a 250whp RSX NA, but it has a difficult time putting the power down because it has lowering springs and stock shocks.

To properly build and balance a NA motor you're looking at 5-10k to be realistic. It's pricey. All my friends have spent around 10k to build their NA motors. However, nothing will compare to a fully built NA motor. The feel is totally different compared to a boosted vehicle. The GSR motor can easily get up to a 9-10k redline if built properly. Might be cheaper to swap in an ITR motor and call it a day. Think about your time/cost commitment before you go down that road.
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

I was looking at nippon pistons? Are they any good? Is 82mm good? Boring .040 good? I was told to do 1000 cc injectors and stage 2 skunk2 cams.
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

I was looking at nippon pistons? Are they any good? Is 82mm good? Boring .040 good? I was told to do 1000 cc injectors and stage 2 skunk2 cams.
I haven't heard anything bad about those pistons, 82mm is pretty aggressive, same with 0.040 boring.

I'd bore and sleeve if you are going to go that aggressive. Those cams are pretty mild and should be daily drive-able.

You need a tune if you are going to run 1000cc injectors otherwise the ecu won't know the difference.

Without a tune all those parts are going to go to waste.
Old 09-19-2014
Registered!!

Ok thanks. So u think boring .020 would be better? Maybe 81mm pistons? I wanna be able to smoke a vette lol
Old 09-19-2014
Registered!!

Ok thanks. So u think boring .020 would be better? Maybe 81mm pistons? I wanna be able to smoke a vette lol
LOL you aren't smoking any vettes anytime soon without a turbo. Even w/ 300hp on an NA. The only way you are even coming close to that is if you have 1 seat (carbon) and completely gut your car. Even then you'd be pushing it. My buddy runs 12's and he has 10k on his motor and was built by one of the best honda shops in the US. That being said he has a full interior. You'll prob be more likely to beat stock STIs or Evos (from a roll, LOL).

You should beat most cars assuming it's built right. Main prob though... FWD
Old 09-19-2014
Registered!!

Yeah a vette is quick. So u think boring it .020 is better? It will be a daily driver but want it to be fast as well. Turbo is a possiblity but have been told it not good for a daily car.
Old 09-19-2014
Registered!!

Yeah a vette is quick. So u think boring it .020 is better? It will be a daily driver but want it to be fast as well. Turbo is a possiblity but have been told it not good for a daily car.

.02 with 81 mm should be fine. Really it's more about the hondata and suspension tuning. Without tuning, the car will run like **** and you won't reach peak HP numbers.

250hp in an integra is plenty fast.