General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Repairing total loss Civic / prior good condition

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerio is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Repairing total loss Civic / prior good condition

Hi everyone, I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I wanted to know if anyone had some advice about my situation.

I have a '97 Civic LX with 141K. The car has no modifications and was recently in an accident. As of now, the insurance company deemed the car's worth at $4800, barring any changes when the second reviewer (Estimatics) confirms the amount.

The car has been sitting in a body shop for the past week as this process was moving along, and the estimated repair is $3000: two airbags, windshield, hood, fender, headlights, and certain parts in the engine bay. New airbags would increase the cost to $5000, but would allow the car to be covered under comprehensive coverage as well (used airbags negate this coverage). I don't care how much it costs to fix as long as it's within what the insurance gives me.

The car was in fine condition before the accident, and drove fine afterward. I have no interest in buying a new car because I don't trust people, but admittedly how can I trust the repair shop as well? Is this car, which hasn't been damaged before, worth fixing, or is it better to junk it and start anew? I'm willing to bite the bullet in either case. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front destroyed with airbags deployed.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	84482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airbags.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	84483  
Old 12-27-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Repairing total loss Civic / prior good condition

you hit a SUV or truck? most of damage is in higher places, so frame *might* be OK
Old 12-27-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the frame hasn't been crumpled, i think you'd be safe to have it fixed.
Looks like only the support bar has been damaged.
Bumper just looks fallen off, not caved in.
Old 12-27-2012
Registered!!

Kennykid2002: You're right in that just the support bar took some damage, whereas the frame was unscathed thankfully. My biggest worries stem from these airbags and parts inside the engine, so I'll have to get a proper assessment done while there.

sdaidoji: I hit a 97 Chevrolet Lumina going some 30 mph. I can't really remember how fast, but it was trying to accelerate on a yellow.

Lesson learned: don't assume people will go on yellows, and airbags will launch anything in front of you into your body! Thankfully I wasn't eating/on the phone/smoking or anything.
Old 12-27-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't look like there'd be much damage inside the engine bay.
Perhaps your radiator, fans and just the stuff towards the front of the hood.

And always be safe than sorry.
Some of my friends learned never to drive with one hand at the top of the steering wheel anymore.
Airbag launches and they smack themselves in the face with their own fist.
Old 12-27-2012
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Dang that sucks. It looked like the car was in really good shape before.

One thing you might want to consider when deciding whether or not to fix the car is if you will ever want to sell the car. If you buy it back from insurance and have it fixed, it may still drive great and be a good car for you, but if you ever decide to sell the car its value will be significantly decreased. Salvage title vehicles are harder (if even possible) to secure loans for and more people will be hesitant to buy it. Just something else to consider.

If you use the money and find another clean (and clean titled) car, it will maintain its resale value and you have the chance to get more back from your $4800 insurance check.
Old 12-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Im going to say total loss.

Would be better if you shower under hood photos to be 100%.
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

I've decided to junk this car. A good 15 years, but I'm ready to move on. I have to get over the sentimental value of the car. Thankfully, I have money saved up so I will buy a cheap new car and keep that till it falls apart.

After the negotiation process, I will leave with either around $3800 to let State Farm keep it, or get around $3200 to keep it and do whatever I want. The repairs would be $3400, and that's if the body shop doesn't find anything else wrong with it.

I'm not interested in going around and finding another body shop to do it "on the cheap", nor am I capable of / have the means to store the car and sell it for parts. I also don't trust independent mechanics to rebuild airbags properly. It's an unfortunate situation, but I have to be realistic and move on.

04 Honda Civic: The car still runs, but unfortunately I don't have a picture of the engine bay. Here is a list, however, of the parts that need to be repaired according to the shop:

Front bumper
Grille (molding and emblem)
Headlights
Hood (panel, catch)
Radiator support
Fenders
Windshield
Airbags
Paint
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yeah green means go yellow means slow the **** down red means stop.the only legal way to get through a yellow is if your already halfway through the intersection.also in some major cities like new york you have to stop completely for a yellow. didn't we learn this in drivers education.
Old 12-28-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lowlife9
the only legal way to get through a yellow is if your already halfway through the intersection.
That's the way I learned it.

Sorry about your car. Best decision you ever made was cutting it loose though. You'll get another car that you'll end up getting just as attached to.
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

yeah green means go yellow means slow the **** down red means stop.the only legal way to get through a yellow is if your already halfway through the intersection.also in some major cities like new york you have to stop completely for a yellow. didn't we learn this in drivers education.
I got a ticket for being mid intersection..NYC gay
Old 12-29-2012
Registered!!

If the person in front of me had continued driving, I would have been going through a red light, you know, like one of those cars that barrels through an intersection veering left at a red light. (it was a turn bay)

When I hit the person, I was in shock that it had happened. All I thought was "this car is totalled", "I can't believe I just destroyed this car", "I'm going to be late for my interview", and "this airbag powder smells bad". I've gotten over the shock, but I won't immediately forgive myself for ruining a perfectly decent car. I'll get over that feeling later...

Last edited by Aerio; 12-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.