General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

My Chevy Cruze Saga Has Ended. No more Cruze for me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thai2012civic is an unknown quantity at this point
My Chevy Cruze Saga Has Ended. No more Cruze for me.

Posting this because many people run into issues and this is the way I fixed mine.

It all started with the Trumpet sound after 2 months. Then I noticed the side mirror plastic was getting white and losing its color. Then the vanity mirror top fell out for no reason. Then the button for the center console fell out. Then the brake noises started which they never fixed and my brakes are still not adjusted flapping around. Then the AC fan started ticking. Then the rear speaker crackling.

Just one this after the other in about 10 months of ownership. Not for lack of pursuing a fix, I had enough. Time after time the answer was "everything is fine".

So, I took it to another dealer. Basically I found out this morning that they charged me for an alignment and all they did was put the right front tire at 31psi and the left front one at 40psi. Then I looked at the oil (because they were supposed to do the oil change) and it didin't look transparent like new oil. It looked dark. Now I can't trust them to even change the oil.

I was furious. So my wife called the dealer and we both took the day off work, went back to the dealer. The manager offered to give them one more chance to fix it. We told them the 4th time we went there the mechanics and the Mechanic supervisor ganged up on us telling us that our car was normal and everything was fine. Why do you want to "really" fix it now?

Lying cheats.

So, I sold the car back to them. I wont convert it to USD but basically, I owe 280,000 baht on the loan. They will give me 580,000 baht for the car.

Tomorrow I will meet the guy at the bank. He will pay the loan and give me the cash.

Today after visiting the Chevy dealer we went straight to the Honda dealer next to my house (the one where we bought a $13,000 crappy Honda cash and treated us like kings for 6 years), got the numbers together and will go tomorrow to reserve the 1.8 Civic Navi (with navigation). We went into the test drive car, which still has the plastic covers on the seats, and it looks 10,000 times more modern and more quality than the Cruze, and it's only just a little bit more expensive.

I will post pictures of the new car when it comes.

It's all very sad indeed.

So in the end, this was the fix to my Cruze's woes:

I can't wait. I'll post pics of it when we get it.
Old 11-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Chevy Cruze Saga Has Ended. No more Cruze for me.

Welcome.

Wow. I am always amazed at the features that go into cars in other markets.
I'm jealous.

Our Civic in the USA does not have pushbutton start, nor does it have full pushbutton climate control. We don't have paddle shift buttons on the steering wheel.
You probably get a backup camera too. We don't.

Your Navigation screen picture has caption: DVD player. Does that mean you can play DVD movies and watch on that navi monitor?

We should be getting 2013 model Civics here in one week, and the 2012 models are heavily discounted right now.
Old 11-22-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nice upgrade, your chevy experience is pretty normal. ive driven in plenty a rent-a-car with the same feeling of everything falling apart. and yes, you guys overseas always get much better cars of any model. ours are plain and stripped, but quality is still pretty good.
Old 11-22-2012
Registered!!

Hi. I introduced myself on another thread, but if you don't know, I am an American living in Thailand.

I will never ever ever agin buy a Chevrolet. I lost money of course but I would rather take a hit after 1 year than prolong my suffering any longer.

As for the Civic. Every other car sold here is a Honda. If its not a Homda it's a Toyota.

My Civic is the one below the very top one (2.0L), so I don't have paddle shift or push start. But I don't mind.

I still have Navigation, which yes plays DVD movies. Backup camera as well. I got everything. And I'm sure we will LOVE the car if the experience with my Honda City is anything to go by. 6 years not 1 problem. Same dealer BTW, we just went back to our Honda home.

I learned my lesson.

Today I will take the afternoon off work to meet at the bank and finize the sale of my car to the Chevy dealer. What a nightmare.
Old 11-22-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Welcome.

Wow. I am always amazed at the features that go into cars in other markets.
I'm jealous.

Our Civic in the USA does not have pushbutton start, nor does it have full pushbutton climate control. We don't have paddle shift buttons on the steering wheel.
You probably get a backup camera too. We don't.

Your Navigation screen picture has caption: DVD player. Does that mean you can play DVD movies and watch on that navi monitor?

We should be getting 2013 model Civics here in one week, and the 2012 models are heavily discounted right now.

Not sure if we will get the facelift here. We JUST got the 2012 Civic here due to those mega floods last year when Honda was forced to shut down production for months.
Old 11-22-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad, I've actually driven the cruze, and hated it.
Everything feels cheap and plastic.
The gears don't really want to shift properly either.

The newer civics are nice, if you knowingly buy into it, fully understanding that you're not getting a fast car, but rather an eco-car.
Old 11-22-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Not bad, I've actually driven the cruze, and hated it.
Everything feels cheap and plastic.
The gears don't really want to shift properly either.

The newer civics are nice, if you knowingly buy into it, fully understanding that you're not getting a fast car, but rather an eco-car.
Yes. That's what I want. I want great fuel economy and quiet on the road. That's it. And comfortable.

The Cruze seats fit me well but they were super hard.
Old 11-22-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im surprised you didnt opt for the diesel civic. great power and mpg and well above any civic in the usa.
Old 11-23-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
im surprised you didnt opt for the diesel civic. great power and mpg and well above any civic in the usa.

Here we don't have a Diesel option yet.

Basically the 1.8L and the 2.0L here take biofuels. The big promotion is the use of E85 which is 85% Ethanol.
Old 11-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thai2012civic
Here we don't have a Diesel option yet.

Basically the 1.8L and the 2.0L here take biofuels. The big promotion is the use of E85 which is 85% Ethanol.

We don't get Diesel, nor do we get to burn E-85 either (E-85 capable cars are known as "Flex-Fuel" here).

I have HEARD we will get Diesels in North America, but apparently they can't pass EPA rules yet.

I wouldn't run E-85 though unless there were no other choice, cost here does not offset the mileage drop.
Old 11-23-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
We don't get Diesel, nor do we get to burn E-85 either (E-85 capable cars are known as "Flex-Fuel" here).

I have HEARD we will get Diesels in North America, but apparently they can't pass EPA rules yet.

I wouldn't run E-85 though unless there were no other choice, cost here does not offset the mileage drop.
Yes. With E85 you get less power and the alcohol burns faster.

BUT, it's a lot cheaper here to buy E85.

I think what I'll do is keep running it on Gasohol 91 (E10) which is what I've always used in all my cars. Price is OK and lasts long.

The 2012 Civic here takes E10-E20-E85 and regular Benzene 91. This is the only car I've seen rated for E85 here. Not sure about others like the new Focus or Lancer.

Civics here sell themselves. It's a strange buying experience. The sales people help you fill out the paper and that's it. There is no sales pitch no scams no anything. They are basically like cashiers at Walmart. During the test drive the sales person sits in the back quietly. If you want to ask something. Fine. They don't even TRY to sell it. Every other car on the road here is a Honda.
Old 11-28-2012
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

One more thing that I always want to see CNG Civic (Natural Gas) in Thailand and If they can build more Natural Gas Stations in Thailand, CNG Civic will be a very good choice. Lots of people converted their cars to use propane (LPG) but some suffer from knocking and various problems. However, E-85 on the new civic is an alternative solution to the expensive gas price. Toyota in Thailand offers CNG corolla but Honda doesn't.

I have never seen sedan with diesel engine in Thailand except Mercedes and I think Ford focus probably starts to offer diesel engines too. I am not sure if Thai government still subsidizes diesel price or not.

Great cars anyway