General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

FRAM oil filter haters...

Old 10-02-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Exclamation FRAM oil filter haters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=cttLaWepdL0#!

watch it. they are much better designed than you think and run through rigorous tests.

i bring this up because i see so much "speculation" of how "good" an oil filter is by merely cutting it up and "LOOKING" at the filtering medium.

(just because it has more medium, doesnt mean it filters better)
Old 10-02-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: FRAM oil filter haters...

Thank you!!! Idk why people hate on FRAM all the time.
Old 10-02-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GolNat
Thank you!!! Idk why people hate on FRAM all the time.
^yup. many of the OEM honda filters are supplied by fram (honda has two vendors for their oil filters from what ezone told me)

also, i wanna point out that their tough guard (what was shown in the video) and their extended guard (highest quality filter they make) are great. most people who hate on them look at their lowest quality one (still not that bad, but more for economic purposes) look at their whole line and say its crap.
Old 10-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i need something that lasts at least a year without falling apart inside. if the fram can do that, i would sure use it. most oil filters are useless anyway, but the last thing you want is chunks of filter coming loose.
Old 10-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Glad you found that.
Mr. Buckley is the person I was talking about in that other post.
Old 10-02-2012

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

... you'd be stupid not to use a FRAM filter. lol

I don't know I don't really have any alliance to any specific brand of oil/filter. I'm quite happy to let the company that built/engineered my engine sell me a filter.

Although the lady at the counter offered to sell me 'Honda' motor oil in bulk (4l) last time I was there. I kind of recoiled at the thought of that.

don't ask me why.
Old 10-02-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Although the lady at the counter offered to sell me 'Honda' motor oil in bulk (4l) last time I was there. I kind of recoiled at the thought of that.

don't ask me why.
"Bulk" oil comes in a tank truck.
You'd need a lot of your own jugs, unless they just pour it right into the interior of your car.

Conoco-Phillips has been supplying our oil for a few years now.
Old 10-02-2012

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, but I don't have a clue who Conoco-Phillips is in the oil world. Would it be the same supplier in Canada? I currently use Mobil Super 2000 (synthetic blend) for high mileage engines. Would Honda oil be vastly better?
Old 10-02-2012

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/
Kendall oil is one of their commonly seen brands.

ExxonMobil supplied the oil before CP.

No idea who supplies Hondas oil up there.
Old 10-02-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1318& transactionid=1349235951-67180109214&posted_by=Kennykid2002_www.civicforums .com&youtube_video_id=floUZGP6NZM[/autostream]
Royal purple filters, nuff said
Old 10-03-2012

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1318& transactionid=1349235951-67180109214&posted_by=Kennykid2002_www.civicforums .com&youtube_video_id=floUZGP6NZM[/autostream]
Royal purple filters, nuff said
i love how he says "i think this... i think that..."

YOU THINK?! or you KNOW? "THINKING" that something is possibility something isnt good enough and doesnt show your professionalism. how better is this guy from anyone who can type a post on a forum?

that video was poorly conducted if he was a rep from RP. very poor marketing.
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

id rather not use oil filters constructed with flimsy cardboard on there filter media i guess thats just me though ???
Old 10-03-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

FRAM filter = 99% efficiency
Royal purple = 99% efficiency

FRAM = $5-$6
Royal Purple = $12+

Both filter the oil just as good, one is just over engineered to accomplish the same rating.
Old 10-03-2012

Originally Posted by GolNat
FRAM filter = 99% efficiency
Royal purple = 99% efficiency
You missed the parts about the particle sizes used for the tests. The filters aren't equal.

Royal Purple:
Made by Champion Labs.
Quote from the video: "designed to filter down to 25 microns with like over 90% filter capability".
(I actually went to the RP website and found this in their FAQ section:
99% efficiency at 25 or greater micron based on ISO 4548-12 multi-pass test methods.)

Sounds a bit less efficient than Frams' specs.

Wait up... Royal Purple is a SPONSOR of that V8TV or whatever it is. No wonder they did that skit.

Fram:
Made by...well...Fram.

Also uses test ISO 4548-12.

From the comments on the Fram video:
Fram TG is 99% efficiency tested to ISO 4548-12 tests using 10-20 micron particle size.
You would have to contact those filter companies for their info. We know how they test, cant publish the figures for legal reasons. The FRAM Ultra is also 99% efficienct. You have to make sure when looking at competitor info that they are testing to ISO standards using 10-20 micron sizes. Purolator uses ISO test and a 25 micron particle size-too big%uFEFF to harm your engine but lets them say they are 99%!.

Particle size is what filtration is all about. The smaller the particles are that the filter can trap, the better the filter is. Simple.
Fram wins.

The guys in the Fram video are real engineers. They actually do work at the company. You can tell they weren't picked for their charisma, charm, and good looks, to be on camera.

The guy in the RP video is also one ugly mug, but speaks well and appears to cater to the mentality of the average weekend warrior TV viewing audience.

For the geeks: Here's the paper on The Micron Rating for Media in Fluid Filters mentioned around 1:55 in the Fram video. http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...ish/89-5R3.pdf
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i prefer amsoil filters.
Old 10-03-2012
Prelude Owner

Good research ezone

Fram also has the cool grippy truck bed liner like stuff on them. I can always get it off.
Old 10-03-2012
Registered!!

PearlVic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been using FRAMs since i bought my car. lol used k&n's on my toyota
Old 10-03-2012

I still use pulator pureone (yellow)

I'm planning to switch to their new synthetic filter tho. Don't think I really need it but I might have to give it a try.

/////edit

Ezone, well said about the filtration tests. I was going to mention the in a reply but you beat me to it.

The point of this article is to prove a point to all the fram haters that fram filters are actually a great product
Old 10-03-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first time I read that you may want to avoid Fram filters was in 2001, from this page:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html
And this letter written to the webmaster of the site:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/fram1.txt
Personally my father used Fram for years and had nothing but good things to say, at the time I owned a GM product and I just used the OEM AC Delco filters. On my other car I used a Mobil 1. While the above linked website has few good things to say about most of the Fram filters, he does like the Tough Guard.
Based on what I've read about the inlet holes of the A01 and A02 Honda filters, I would gander that Fram is building the A02 to a Honda spec for Honda rather than Honda selecting an off the shelf Fram product and having it relabeled with a Honda logo. The inlet holes on the A02 don't match any Fram inlet patterns that I'm familiar with. I plan on ordering a few 6 packs of A01's from H&A when the time comes since my wife's Accord and the Civic both use it.
Old 10-03-2012

Originally Posted by dubtee1480
The first time I read that you may want to avoid Fram filters was in 2001, from this page:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html
And this letter written to the webmaster of the site:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/fram1.txt
Personally my father used Fram for years and had nothing but good things to say, at the time I owned a GM product and I just used the OEM AC Delco filters. On my other car I used a Mobil 1. While the above linked website has few good things to say about most of the Fram filters, he does like the Tough Guard.
that first link is EXACTLY what im referring to in the first post. some dude cuts open a bunch of filters and subjectively analysis the filters based on its looks....WITHOUT any kind of scientific tests to test the actual filtration properties.

just because one brand has "more" filter medium and more parts, doesnt mean it filters better.

and to the second link...you gotta take that "testimony" with a grain of salt. he/she could have been a disgruntled ex-employee or simply a straight up fram-hater.
Old 10-03-2012

i tell you this because im the head engineer for Fram and i make these things with my bare hands while in the toilet... and fram is the shitz and best shitz ever!

you gotta believe me. im an engineer and im posting this online...which makes it official, truthful, and absolutely credible.

/sarcasm

btw, dubtee, im not directing any of this at you. just in general, so dont take it the wrong wayz. so take that flameproof suit off.
Old 10-03-2012

Found another filter maker

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4619313
Old 10-03-2012

that first link is EXACTLY what im referring to in the first post. some dude cuts open a bunch of filters and subjectively analysis the filters based on its looks....WITHOUT any kind of scientific tests to test the actual filtration properties.

just because one brand has "more" filter medium and more parts, doesnt mean it filters better.

and to the second link...you gotta take that "testimony" with a grain of salt. he/she could have been a disgruntled ex-employee or simply a straight up fram-hater.
Agreed... it would be nice if a third party would take up real testing. I think a lot of the mentality is fed from a tactile point of view. This one has metal caps, this one is glued cardboard, the first one must be more durable. The second one is likely made to a price point and not marathon synthetic oil changes or performance applications. I imagine the amount of filter media matters a little but the quality of the media does also and there are so many other variables (valves, etc) that it's hard to be subjective and fair when analyzing only one aspect by looking at the media. RE the engineers letter... who's to say it's even an engineer or was ever employed by Fram. I can get on here and claim that I'm a archaeologist instead of an industrial controls and distribution salesman (my actual profession) and who's to prove or disprove me?
Old 10-03-2012

Originally Posted by ezone
interesting. so honda has (to your knowledge) 3 supplies of the OEM filter?
Old 10-03-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

What everyone's saying is true, but the only reason why I went with a RP filter, to go with my RP oil is that
I did wanted to test how well this brand really performed in a real world scenario.
I've watched dozens and dozens of videos on youtube taking apart random filters.
Most of which, including FRAM, does use a cardboard material as filter media, and shell.
As you could see from the video I posted, the RP uses all steel construction and full synthetic fiber material backed by a metal mesh, which increases the longevity of the filter.

Before running RP, I did plan to run my car for at least a 10,000 mile before cutting into the filter to see how well it held up.
At 11,000 miles currently, my oil is nearly as clean as when I put it in.

Before running the RP filter, I have been running OEM filters for the life of the vehicle, so it definitely was a step up.

i love how he says "i think this... i think that..."

YOU THINK?! or you KNOW? "THINKING" that something is possibility something isnt good enough and doesnt show your professionalism. how better is this guy from anyone who can type a post on a forum?

that video was poorly conducted if he was a rep from RP. very poor marketing.
He was actually not a RP rep, just some guy from a car youtube channel.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
id rather not use oil filters constructed with flimsy cardboard on there filter media i guess thats just me though ???
I agree completely
Based on the FRAM website
"The most commonly used filter media is cellulose, which is a natural material that presents a random and irregular field of fibers to the oil. By itself, it can only deliver about 80% dirt-trapping efficiency."
Basically paper. That is enough to steer me away.

I do agree, price point, RP is a very expensive filter, but the way it was designed, I think it's worth every penny.
I do plan to try other filters as well, perhaps the FRAM. (Probably K&N next most likely)

But after 11K miles, I can tell you the RP held up it's end of the bargain.
Old 10-03-2012

i tell you this because im the head engineer for Fram and i make these things with my bare hands while in the toilet... and fram is the shitz and best shitz ever!

you gotta believe me. im an engineer and im posting this online...which makes it official, truthful, and absolutely credible.

/sarcasm

btw, dubtee, im not directing any of this at you. just in general, so dont take it the wrong wayz. so take that flameproof suit off.
Nah, nothing personal taken. I think the guy that started the site that I linked to (and I think is the earliest example I found and probably started the "lets cut a filter open" movement) got burned by a bad filter, noticed a trend in filter marketing that he didn't care for and attempted to start a dialogue by dragging it out into the open. I've used Fram a few time since then, the engine in my truck didn't fall out - still ticking along at 220,000 miles . If anything, it made me look harder at my purchasing decisions when I was younger instead of assuming that anyone selling parts had my best interests in mind.
Old 10-03-2012

interesting. so honda has (to your knowledge) 3 supplies of the OEM filter?
I was looking at the 15400-PLM-A01 and A02 filter numbers, the A01 PREcedes to the 15400-RTA-003 number, and catalog said Mahle.

Wasn't really "to my knowledge" at all, I just ran across it a few minutes ago. Thought I'd toss it into the ring.
Like I said, it isn't a part number I have noticed in our parts dept recently. It's news to me.

EDIT:

Dangit. I'm not a parts person.
15400-RTA-003
15400-RBA-F01
Ran these to finally find the most recent super.
15400-PLM-A01

Sorry.

Last edited by ezone; 10-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2012

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
What everyone's saying is true, but the only reason why I went with a RP filter, to go with my RP oil is that
I did wanted to test how well this brand really performed in a real world scenario.
dont lie kenny. you just like it because its purple. dont lie to us meow!

Originally Posted by dubtee1480
I can get on here and claim that I'm a archaeologist instead of an industrial controls and distribution salesman (my actual profession) and who's to prove or disprove me?
lier! we all know you're the president of that company and not the salesman!

hahah...
Old 10-03-2012

hey kenny, you should take a look into the new purelator synthetic filters. its basically a synthetic medium with all that fancy wire crap. rated at 10k miles as well.

and its about $12 bucks.

also, give the purlator pureone a try. it has a 99.9% filtration efficiency @ 20 microns.

plus, its yellow. and we all know yellow things are JDM and faster.
Old 10-03-2012

plus, its yellow. and we all know yellow things are JDM and faster.
That's at least worth 20HP at the wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRAM oil filter haters...