General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

can all these people today really afford their luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: can all these people today really afford their luxury cars?

Originally Posted by Stock 99
The only car Jeremy has ever driven in LA was a Corvette ZR1. He drove the Mercedes SLS in the Eastern US Special and an IROC in the original US special from Florida to New Orleans.
your rite he was driving a 911 turbo and mentioned that the exhaust coming out of it was cleaner then the air in highly polluted cites like las angeles.
Old 09-29-2012
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Uh oh you're breaking out the FRS pictures again...everything that can be said has been said to you over the various threads you've made...Im not sure what other advice to give
Im obsessed about the FRS, I want one so bad.

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Right now interest rates are next to nothing.

Also most people dont buy they lease.

I bet most of the people who do own the older benz and bmw cry like bitches when they get the repair bill and realize they really shouldnt be driving what they do. Most of these people dont even have a home, possibly living on gov money.

Also in addition to interest being next to nothing, most people buying luxury cars are probably buying them outright-meaning they are not financing them, they pay cash. And the ones who do finance, probably drop a nice chunk of change for it before they finance.

I say its best to live comfortable. Buy what you like and what you can reasonably afford.

Lately I have been tossing the idea around of trading up my S2000 for a Boxster S.
They are roughly the same price, but searching around and seeing the parts markup and problems the boxster has I think I wont do it.
I probably could afford it, however I like to have a nice cushin of cash and not live too close to the line.
Trade for an FRS.

That's why cars are status symbols. They show people how much money you have to throw away. Thank god Honda never built a diesel Civic because you would be labeled, 'the cheapest person on earth' if you were seen driving it.
Its definitely about status symbol and to show your wealth. Like i said, a person driving in a new car will be seen much differently than one in an old car. And actually here, 85% of cars here are giant SUVs or large monster trucks driven by rednecks. SUVs make sense when you have a family, pretty tough to do that in a 2 or even 4 door sedan. Plus the people here like SUV cause they feel superior on the winter roads cause of their AWD or 4WD.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 09-29-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

This, this, this.

Almost posted it earlier when I saw this thread and I didn't when I couldn't find the figures I went looking for: somewhere I saw a stat for BMW's sales mix, their lease numbers are way higher when compared to other automakers. Most of their cars go out on lease and then come back and are sold as CPO.
Old 09-30-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Cause how I see it is, people compare what you drive. They will view a 31 year old who drives a 3year old car vs a 31yr old who drives an outdated one, no doubt about it.
40 years old, still drive my civic... and it's my newer car... and i **** to all who tells me that i drive an old car. Prolly i have more money than them, so i don't care.
paid all my cars in cash, they still in my garage.

however I like to have a nice cushin of cash and not live too close to the line.
and oh, yeah, i did that too. could get more cars if i find a good enough one. no expensive car for me - they would simply make me a cash cow for autoparts and shops and dealers.
Old 09-30-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im 32 and still have the civic, going on 10 yrs. sure it has its share of issues and noises, but it still looks decent and gets me around. what more can you ask for really. i still rice around with the rest of em and get looks and compliments all the time. and always my favorite, how can i afford such a nice luxury car haha. i always have to remind them its just a 10 yr old civic with a salvage title worth about $2k if im lucky. but what matters to me is it runs great and customized to fit my style. and i can fix most things myself with little effort.
Old 09-30-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Im obsessed about the FRS, I want one so bad.
Its definitely about status symbol and to show your wealth. Like i said, a person driving in a new car will be seen much differently than one in an old car. And actually here, 85% of cars here are giant SUVs or large monster trucks driven by rednecks. SUVs make sense when you have a family, pretty tough to do that in a 2 or even 4 door sedan. Plus the people here like SUV cause they feel superior on the winter roads cause of their AWD or 4WD.
last i heard, you don't have a job and still living at yer parents house and living off from your parents bank account, still does not do the work on the car yourself.

the question begging to be answered is: Can you even afford having the civic, instead of trying to trash what others are doing?!?

get off from the monitor and using your parents' bandwidth and go look for a job, so you can at the least buy parts for the car!

yer not in the twenties anymore either.
Old 09-30-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Ugh oh.
Old 09-30-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

speaking of car parts look what i found a Oreilly's
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=121gmf
Old 09-30-2012

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Right now interest rates are next to nothing.

I bet most of the people who do own the older benz and bmw cry like bitches when they get the repair bill and realize they really shouldnt be driving what they do. Most of these people dont even have a home, possibly living on gov money.

Also in addition to interest being next to nothing, most people buying luxury cars are probably buying them outright-meaning they are not financing them, they pay cash. And the ones who do finance, probably drop a nice chunk of change for it before they finance.

I say its best to live comfortable. Buy what you like and what you can reasonably afford.

Lately I have been tossing the idea around of trading up my S2000 for a Boxster S.
They are roughly the same price, but searching around and seeing the parts markup and problems the boxster has I think I wont do it.
I probably could afford it, however I like to have a nice cushin of cash and not live too close to the line.

Top Gear UK just did luxury cars you can buy for the price of a new compact. It was an old Merc a BMW and ? (can't remember). The Merc needed several thousand in repairs within 2 months. They did old super cars for under $10 000 too. A Lambo, Maserati and Ferrari. None of them managed to make it 80 miles. The Maserati literally blew up on camera driving down a busy highway.

I totally agree though I believe most cars over $40 000 are cash or lease sales. It would be interesting to see what % of those sales are corporate.

Porsche boxster?

I wouldn't personally want a Porsche but to each their own. I think I'd rather have a Lotus in that price range. Toyota Camry engines so a reliable sports car. Someone has a thread on here about buying a Lotus and it's epic. Beautiful cars!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...-delivery.html

Last edited by Stock 99; 09-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2012
Registered!!

yeah but there so tiny like go kart size id rather go full go kart status and get a Ariel atom Honda engine lotus tuned suspension.

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-30-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lowlife9
yeah but there so tiny like go kart size id rather go full go kart status and get a Ariel atom Honda engine lotus tuned suspension.
This^
Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Top Gear UK just did luxury cars you can buy for the price of a new compact. It was an old Merc a BMW and ? (can't remember). The Merc needed several thousand in repairs within 2 months. They did old super cars for under $10 000 too. A Lambo, Maserati and Ferrari. None of them managed to make it 80 miles. The Maserati literally blew up on camera driving down a busy highway.

I totally agree though I believe most cars over $40 000 are cash or lease sales. It would be interesting to see what % of those sales are corporate.

Porsche boxster?

I wouldn't personally want a Porsche but to each their own. I think I'd rather have a Lotus in that price range. Toyota Camry engines so a reliable sports car. Someone has a thread on here about buying a Lotus and it's epic. Beautiful cars!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...-delivery.html
A lotus is hella out of my budget..

But I do agree, they are beautiful.
Resale values are pretty decent on em, and they are pretty reliable from what I could imagine..Just cant afford it.
Old 10-02-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

It must be common for us Civic guys to want a Lotus.
I will kill to own an Elise or Evora right about now or in the near future.
I might tear out my own hair if I can't get one by the time I'm 30.
Old 10-02-2012

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Ive never been a huge lotus fan, for the money i'd rather have an S5, an M3 or a 911
Old 10-04-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Everytime im in my old civic, I wish so bad i was in a FRS. especially in traffic and others see me in it.
Old 10-04-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

Every time I'm in traffic and people sit around me and judge me in my older car.... they can eat my nuts, seriously, f*ck those people.

If you want an FRS for the sake of driving an FRS, that's fine. But if you want one so that other people will think you're fly, you're barking up the wrong tree man. Wait a few years, catch one off lease.
Old 10-04-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i catch people looking at my civic all the time and just let them stare. at least i know how to mod mine unlike 99% of the people driving. doesnt matter if the car is 30 yrs old. modded cars get attention. i see stock cars dime a dozen and most dont impress me at all. in fact i often wonder how stupid you have to be to spend so much money on a car just because of its looks. in the city, you cant drive it fast so whats the point. i rather save the cash and the gas. a car is one of the biggest waste of money you will ever own. not only buying it, but the gas, maint, insurance, and all the crap that comes along with having a car.
Old 10-04-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by dubtee1480
If you want an FRS for the sake of driving an FRS, that's fine. But if you want one so that other people will think you're fly, you're barking up the wrong tree man. Wait a few years, catch one off lease.
I want FRS for its looks

Originally Posted by gearbox
i catch people looking at my civic all the time and just let them stare. at least i know how to mod mine unlike 99% of the people driving. doesnt matter if the car is 30 yrs old. modded cars get attention. i see stock cars dime a dozen and most dont impress me at all. in fact i often wonder how stupid you have to be to spend so much money on a car just because of its looks. in the city, you cant drive it fast so whats the point. i rather save the cash and the gas. a car is one of the biggest waste of money you will ever own. not only buying it, but the gas, maint, insurance, and all the crap that comes along with having a car.
What I think is, most at least the average person cant spot a light modded car unless they own the same car or if its something obvious like a fartcan or tint. My car aside from tint, AM rims and fogs, isnt modded at all and turns no ones head.
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

I love my Civic, I wished I had upper trim. However, VP didn't and won't have problem with electric windows :P Everything is manual so it won't break easily. I wish VP had manual trans, it would suit me well.

Well, in my opinion, if you plan to buy expensive car, plan the budget wisely (maintenance, parts and insurance) If I can turn back time. I am not a big fan of a luxury car. However, I do have three dream cars: Civic Si, RX-8, STi.
Old 10-06-2012
Premium Member

ha i wish i had a dx instead of ex. too many extra useless parts and junk on the higher trims.
Old 10-06-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
ha i wish i had a dx instead of ex. too many extra useless parts and junk on the higher trims.
Hahaha how many "useless" extras are you talking about, i thought my ex had hardly any features.

You should see some of the new bimmers, drove one tonight with nightvision....now THATS useless
Old 10-06-2012
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

some are useful, some are just not useful to me.

gearbox, the chrome trim's still look nice though ei ei. I still remembered when my wife told me that I did something to the cluster because it looked so stand out. In that Civic, I missed the my lx cluster the most.
Old 10-07-2012
Premium Member

i dont like power window, mirror, lock, keyless, moonroof, abs, vtec motor, etc. im sure i can make a list if i wanted to lol. strangely enough i like the 15 inch wheels and hubcaps of the ex lol. ive removed keyless and power lock already, wish i could delete some more stuff but it becomes more hassle than its worth.
Old 10-07-2012
Registered!!

didn't the frs and brz already have a massive recall to re-flash the ECU.
Old 10-08-2012

Hahahaha yes^ Theres nothing wrong with the car, the owners manual is just defective.
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

no its has to do with the mapping causing rough idle and stalling toyota is replacing ECU's if the reflash doesn't work. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/s...e-ecu-reflash/
i confirmed this with my friend at a local toyota all of the frs's they sold came back with this problem. imagine the total melt down civicnoobie would have had if his brand new frs did this lol.

Last edited by lowlife9; 10-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2012
Premium Member

how does that even happen in this day and age? they didnt ever drive the car after building it?
Old 10-08-2012

Ohh this is what i read- http://www.inquisitr.com/251582/toyo...d-for-defects/

Hahahaha "civicnoobie's meltdown"
Old 10-08-2012
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

I still amuse myself everyone now and then, being the car lover that I am, that one day I will get that $50k used 993 turbo... dreaming big, i know. But then I think, "Damn, I really like living in a nice house with a nice sized yard. I really like going on nice vacations with my family. I like having 2 dogs. I love my big *** tv and fast computer. I really really like sitting on nice furniture that will last 20 years, and having the space in the refrigerator to house my steaks, beer, milk, eggs, extra loaf of bread, kid's snacks, wife's snacks, lettuce, squash, tomatoes, etc etc etc."

Then i remember, oh yeah, that's why i dont spend half my paycheck on a car payment. Because I don't spend the majority of my time in my car, nor do I like being in a car more than I have to thanks to the traffic. Meh, priorities and how they morph over the years... If i'm lucky, I will have a new(ish) economical AND reliable car to go to and fro, and maybe an s2000. one of these days...
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

dam now toyota has another massive recall with there power window motors catching on fire.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ow-switch.html

Quick Reply: can all these people today really afford their luxury cars?