General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Friends sister got a brake job the other day (pic of aftermath)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friends sister got a brake job the other day (pic of aftermath)

Originally Posted by lswartz
Now this is getting downright scary.
You're scared? I'm a biker, I try to remember that this is probably all around me.

We are on the road with vehicles like this, sure hope they aren't in MD.
There are people willing to cheat every program, and every program has corruption.

Now you got me wondering, do medical doctors have forums too?
Yes.
Even better: Professionals (doctors, police, etc.) have their own versions of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous, because they can't let us plebs see that professionals have ordinary people problems too.
Old 05-28-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

most people have no business owning a car. if all you know is where the gas goes, you shouldnt be driving. cars are too dangerous and complicated to just get in and cross your fingers.
Old 06-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KurtzN1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ouch, that looks like it can fly and chop some things off!
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

420Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazing how people just have utter disregard for their cars. I do not understand how they cannot maintain something they've invested thousands of dollars into and RELY on to transport them from A to B. They should require maintenance to be taught before you're aloud to licensed to drive, this blatant disregard just endagers everyone else on the road and contributes to the fact that automobile accidents are the leading cause of death in the United States.
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

it looks scary as hell. I've never seen anything like those before.
Old 06-02-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 420Coupe
Amazing how people just have utter disregard for their cars. I do not understand how they cannot maintain something they've invested thousands of dollars into and RELY on to transport them from A to B.
I used to see it a lot with Daewoo "customers". Think of the target market those cars were marketed to, the low rent crowd.

The car should just take care of itself as long as payments are getting paid.

More than once I heard a statement like "I'm makin all dem car payments, I cain't afford none o dat ****!"
Brakes, tires, wipers, oil changes, whatever...
God forbid anyone buying a timing belt, and those blew up before the 60k recommended service mileage!!! Trashed all 16 valves all over the place in a hurry.

Is anyone here old enough to remember Daewoo badged cars?
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I used to see it a lot with Daewoo "customers". Think of the target market those cars were marketed to, the low rent crowd.

The car should just take care of itself as long as payments are getting paid.

More than once I heard a statement like "I'm makin all dem car payments, I cain't afford none o dat ****!"
Brakes, tires, wipers, oil changes, whatever...
God forbid anyone buying a timing belt, and those blew up before the 60k recommended service mileage!!! Trashed all 16 valves all over the place in a hurry.

Is anyone here old enough to remember Daewoo badged cars?

haha we talking about the lanos ? i think that was the only semi half *** decent car they made the rest of them were designed to fall apart at 70k miles or 2 years which ever came first
Old 06-02-2012

Originally Posted by 420Coupe
haha we talking about the lanos ? i think that was the only semi half *** decent car they made the rest of them were designed to fall apart at 70k miles or 2 years which ever came first
Lonzo's, Lasagna, New-beer-ya. LOL

ALL drove fine for the first year.
Then they started going to hell as a whole (there were a few people that were actually taking care of their cars though).
I mean just flat unbelievable crap would be bad at ridiculous mileages.
(Factory FLOOD cars, anyone? Yes, a storage lot at the port in the PNW was flooded and it was full of new cars. Refurbished at the port and still sold as new. Wiring problems from hell.)
Ate suspension parts faster than Mopars do.
We didn't have much of a parts inventory, but we sure kept close to 100 fuel injectors on the shelf at all times.
Sad, pathetic little cars overall....and that was before the bankruptcy and the total lack of support from Daewoo/GM.

Last edited by ezone; 06-02-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: omfg a typo!
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Lonzo's, Lasagna, New-beer-ya. LOL

ALL drove fine for the first year.
Then they started going to hell as a whole (there were a few people that were actually taking care of their cars though).
I mean just flat unbelievable crap would be bad at ridiculous mileages.
(Factory FLOOD cars, anyone? Yes, a storage lot at the port in the PNW was flooded and it was full of new cars. Refurbished at the port and still sold as new. Wiring problems from hell.)
Ate suspension parts faster than Mopars do.
We didn't have much of a parts inventory, but we sure kept close to 100 fuel injectors on the shelf at all times.
Sad, pathetic little cars overall....and that was before the bankruptcy and the total lack of support from Daewoo/GM.

they're still dragging out law suits over Daewoo hopefully the people get a nice settlement when they finally close... 25 years later
Old 06-02-2012

Lawsuit win: $10 per person, but ONLY if they can prove they still own the car.

EDIT: $10 might be kind of high.....
Old 06-02-2012
Registered!!

Lawsuit win: $10 per person, but ONLY if they can prove they still own the car.

EDIT: $10 might be kind of high.....
Rotfl thats only 10$ if they submit the car the own back to Daewoo cause no one else will pay anything for those POS cars LMAO
Old 06-03-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i still see a few of those driving around. not sure how, but i guess its like a classic to them or maybe a mechanic owns it and doesnt mind replacing parts for fun.
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

tohokujin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
New Zealand requires cars to undergo a mechanical safety inspection every six months to be insured, this thread makes me almost want the same system in North America..
Japan has the same thing but it's every two years and very two years I'd have to strip my car back to stock to run it through the inspection and then spend the next month putting it all back together and dialing it back in. It sucked ***** and I hope North America never gets government run auto insurance safety inspections.

People who let their cars get this bad should not be allowed to drive or own a vehicle of any sort. This is reckless endangerment of her life and any of us she might slam into because her brake rotors turned inside out.
Old 07-19-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Behold, the most expensive Daewoo (with pics) in the United States.
Old 07-21-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Couple days ago i heard couple neighbours behind me drive past me and hearing some serious grinding going on as they were braking.

This was the first thing that came to my mind haha. Why do people not fix their brakes until they completely fail? So many people take their brakes for granted and cheap out on it. Its a huge safety risk for others on the road and people shouldnt be allowed on the road with incompetant brakes.
Old 07-21-2012
Premium Member

most people who own a car are stupid and dont care about anything. same reason i see people drive with bald tires every day.
Old 07-21-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
most people who own a car are stupid and dont care about anything. same reason i see people drive with bald tires every day.
so true; it's just a point a to point b thing.

i worked in a shop for 3 years, and with all the brakes i have done and seen, i saw a rotor just like this 1 time. many other cars were grinding for while before they changed the pads and rotors, but i only 1 that was ground through the outer layer to the fan like middle. the chick that owned the car this rotor was on had the loudest stereo beating non stop everywhere she drove.. she wondered why she didn't hear anything?
Old 08-12-2012
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

so many stereotypes with this post I don't know where to begin.

First and most relevant question, why does she need a car in the kitchen?
Old 11-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the rough

Random thoughts from this thread....

I'll bet she's "ahead" financially.

She must not be hot, or she'd be getting serviced more regularly.

Yes, Toyota "did" make the best truck.

A new cabin filter is like getting a new blower motor.

Last edited by Dobber1; 11-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2012
The Silver Sliver

2siick is an unknown quantity at this point

This, doesn't shock me at all. I work in the service department of a Toyota and GM dealership, and you guys wouldn't believe some of the absolute trash we have come through there. There are cars that shouldn't even be running that they drive miles to have an oil change done once every two years. It's scary.