General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Ditch or continue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012
ES1 parts you don't need? I will buy them for free!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H82001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditch or continue?

I have a modded 2001 Civic LX with intake, exhaust, wheels/tires, and strut bar(so far) and am at a crossroad in my car ownership life. I had a near catastrophic failure a month ago when a spark plug blew out and i had to retap the hole in the cylinder head to get a spark plug back into the #4 cylinder and have begun to rethink how i want to go about obtaining a well modded and respectable Civic. My question is, should i keep the '01 and do a k20 swap or sell it and buy a newer civic? I am sold on doing a swap if i do keep it. While i like the idea of turboing the d17...i would rather turbo a k20. But, i would like to have some opinions on the idea of buying a brand new civic and going from there. Please fill me in with all of your vast expanses of tuner knowledge.
Old 04-24-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Ditch or continue?

opinions will vary.

i love my civic. id keep it.
Old 04-24-2012

I'm not saying i dont like my car i love mine as well. The biggest thing i am looking at now is access to parts and the ease of putting them on. I am in the military so my income is quite fixed and not much to be envied and what i am seeing is that if you want a sick d17, you should probably be ready to tear it apart and forge it and dump some money into that turbo kit. While that is nice in the end, i would rather do a k swap, but that is still going to be a big chunk of change in my book. Not to mention that a lot of the suspension parts are almost nonexistant for my model year.
Old 04-24-2012
Registered!!

06_typeS is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your mind is made up already. If I were you I'd keep the car you have and look into picking up a smashed RSX. One where the engine is fine still and you could swap everything you needed onto you civic, like suspension.
Old 04-24-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your civic, go K20 instead of replacing it. K20 swap is expensive (5000+), but it's still cheaper than a new Si.
Old 04-24-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by H82001
I'm not saying i dont like my car i love mine as well. The biggest thing i am looking at now is access to parts and the ease of putting them on. I am in the military so my income is quite fixed and not much to be envied and what i am seeing is that if you want a sick d17, you should probably be ready to tear it apart and forge it and dump some money into that turbo kit. While that is nice in the end, i would rather do a k swap, but that is still going to be a big chunk of change in my book. Not to mention that a lot of the suspension parts are almost nonexistant for my model year.
Aside from installing a rear sway bar being a bit of a pain, you still have access to the same suspension and brakes as any other 7th gen civic or RSX with a bit of work. I say keep it. There's more to the car than putting down power. I totally understand what you're thinking, I've had the same thoughts many times, but the conclusion has always been to stick to my current chassis.
Old 04-24-2012
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

There are plenty of decent suspension options. Idk how much faster you want your car to be but from reading on here you can put a mild turbo on without modifying the engine.
Old 04-24-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

I say keep it. if you've already put work into, keep it up! A K20 swap would be awesome! In fact, even a well done turbo D17 would be rather unique. Despite not being as powerful as a Turbo K20, it's certainly not a bad option.
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You blew the spark plug in this motor, so what makes you think it will happen in the next motor. Keep this car.
Old 04-25-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

you could try to sell your car and grab an 01-05 rsx-s, you'd probabley have to put a bit more money down but it would be the cheapest way to gain a functional K. then down the road turbo the rsx.
Old 04-25-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
You blew the spark plug in this motor, so what makes you think it will happen in the next motor. Keep this car.
i dont think it would happen in another motor. it was a goof mistake that this one even blew one out. i didn't check the plugs and someone elses f-up almost cost me a motor.

What are you guys thoughts on the K20Z3?
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

v2famous is an unknown quantity at this point

If your engine isn't modded right won't the turbo half it's life?

I have a d17 also

But I wasn't set on a turbo yet because I didn't want to ruin anything

If I get a mild turbo will it still decay faster?