General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Winter's Coming!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Winter's Coming!

wtf is this "winter" you talk about?
Old 10-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

Checked the forecast, time for winter tires soon..
Old 10-07-2011
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Hoping the snow holds till the end of the month... snow tires are still in the garage at home

Falken Azenis + Snow = Death.
Old 10-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Originally Posted by Zeferint
Hoping the snow holds till the end of the month... snow tires are still in the garage at home

Falken Azenis + Snow = Death.
All season tires year round....

Old 10-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

+1 all season ftw. yeah it snows here but maybe only 10 major storms all winter. im shocked how many people run out and get studded snow tires. even with the big storms, i hardly ever find myself driving in deep snow cause by mid day they already plowed and sanded it. unless you are in canada or live in the mountains, doesnt make sense. when i was in IL it didnt snow much but was so cold and they never plowed so there could be snow on the road every day almost. still had no problems with allseason. youll be surprised how well they do if you just slow down. ofcourse we will still hear about all the accidents the first time snow comes because people never learn how to drive.
Old 10-07-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^while all season tires are barely acceptable if you drive slow they are still not preferred if you have the ability to have snow tires.

the reason why only snow tires are good in the snow is because their rubber compound is composed very differently than "all season tires" (same reason why summer tires are better than all season tires)

snow tires start working well when the temp its aprox 44 degrees fahrenheit (7 Celsius). the temp allows their compound (high silica content) to react to the snow much better than "all season" (all season do the opposite. they harden under 37F and make it almost unusable)
Old 10-07-2011

so the harder and more "life" ur all season tire has, the harder they become in the snow. pretty much riding on hockey pucks...

but hey, its a chance for us to drift!
Old 10-07-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

ive never driven a stick in the snow yet...kinda hoping is not as hard as everyone says it is
Old 10-07-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good thing i have new softer tires with low treadwear then lol. but for a handful of snow storms every season, its not worth it to me for a different set of snows.
Old 10-07-2011

ive driven in snow (yes it does snow in califiorna) with snow tires on my civic before. made a world of a difference. didnt even need chains untill CHP made me put them.

but usually if u have chains on all season tires, you should be alright.
Old 10-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^Chains aren't great, maybe if you live in Cali and only touch the snow going up to the mountain, but if you live somewhere where it will be consistently below 10 degrees celsius for months they're the best money you can spend.

I went four years rolling on all-seasons driving slow and careful, but I will never skimp out again. The difference in traction any time the temperature drops below 7 degrees celsius is unbelievable. Last year I was driving through snow banks that SUVs were stuck in and laughing, because it doesn't matter if you have 4wd or awd if the tires can grip the road.
Old 10-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
ive never driven a stick in the snow yet...kinda hoping is not as hard as everyone says it is
Driving in snow is the most fun I've ever had driving, the people who hate driving in snow just have all-seasons and are slipping and sliding everywhere.
Old 10-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, I only use all seasons because I never see the snow here

However, I'd like to try some snow driving and probably some offroading now that I slapped on some All-Terrains on my CR-V
Old 10-07-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Who else loves winter drifting?
Old 10-07-2011
Registered!!

army12bc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shift-E
Who else loves winter drifting?
any other car great, but not my baby. lol i used to run winter on the factory steels and summer low pro on my motegi's. for winter i find the all season fine. studded is too much and chain is illegal on cars lol
Old 10-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

god, yer guys are reminding me of the day that the temps suddenly dropped here in TN. I was on me RE01's... I simply took a corner the same way i did the day before. (pretty good visibility, no cars coming from the other side, so i take it tailwagging, tires screeching, sometimes the tires rubs the fenders)... Whoooooaaaaaa! no grip at all... no screeching either. (yeah, it was below 44F...) and i did not think about it until everything slided... Extreme summer tires are simply... useless below 50F...
Old 10-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i love the snow its the black ice under it that i don't like here in ct driving in the snow is just a regular thing.
Old 10-19-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Speaking of snow.... not having winter tires here in Quebec is illegal between dec 15 and march 15. All seasons will get you a ticket. cops check every time they pull someone over during the winter. it's good because most drivers are idiots and they need the gov to tell them what to do. i don't care personally cause i use winters anyway... starting from early dec to about march there's snow on every single road every single day all day long except main roads. some storms will cover highways and in a matter of minutes you can be going from 100 kmh to 15 kmh in a complete white out. black ice is also crazy.

if you tried driving up here without winters, you'd be stuck. snow can get VERY high before the plows get em... like 2-3 feet. and the worst is when the plow passes on your road and creates a huge wall of compacted, hard snow at the end of your driveway that's friggen 5 feet tall.

all to say that i got some winter mats a couple days ago not going another winter without them... the last winter killed my summer mats with ice. it cracked the hard plastic at the bottom and destroyed the fabric where my feet rest under the pedals.
Old 10-19-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. Here in San Diego, there is an average of 200 additional accidents when it rains. Not a downpour rain, but just a shower. I'd move, if we ever got snow.

I get ready for winter by bumping my tire pressures down to 32 psi front and 36 psi rear and putting a jacket in the car. Haha.
Old 10-19-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Forget psi. the most important thing when preping for winter is to make sure you don't have a metal shifter, and if you do, but a sock or glove on it. it will FREEZE your hand.

And windshield washer fluid. LOTS OF IT.

last winter i went through about 8 refills from empty to top
Old 10-19-2011
Kenny the Ricer

What is snow?
Old 10-19-2011
Premium Member

lol i dont have washer fluid or even wipers. i think i will be fine. its so funny how so many people here get studs or snow tires or even chains for maybe 10 storms all winter that melt away in a few days. canada, yeah i wont be living there lol.
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

snow tires meh im getting this for the honda
http://www.neatorama.com/2010/02/15/...n-tank-tracks/
Old 10-20-2011
Kenny the Ricer

^Sweet, where do I get a set?
Old 10-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Re: Winter's Coming!

Moved the winter discussion from the "what you did to your civic today" thread..
Old 10-20-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brian1037
the worst is when the plow passes on your road and creates a huge wall of compacted, hard snow at the end of your driveway that's friggen 5 feet tall.
I HATE THAT! I have maybe like 10 feet from my driveway to the road because of how my street is set up (kind like a small crescent within the street?) and last winter the guy never plowed it. So when one storm happened, we were completely stuck (along with everyone else on the crescent). We couldn't even shovel our way out it was so stupid. We got the snow blower and made a path to get out, but we shouldn't have had to since that's the cities job...

Originally Posted by Brian1037
And windshield washer fluid. LOTS OF IT.

last winter i went through about 8 refills from empty to top
Good old wiper fluid... :P
Old 10-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've driven through massive storms on all season tires with no issues. Take your time and be patient.. I don't see the need for snow tires at all myself if your careful. And driving stick in the snow is eeeeasy *I commute in my car, if I had snow tires on i'd chew them up in 1 season if there isn't much snow.
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I live a 10 min walk from where I got to college, and my car is in the garage in pieces, so no winter driving this year for me...even though the car already has 4 winter tires on her.

Oh, and another benefit of putting winter tires on - lower insurance, at least in Ontario