General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

07 civic si vs 06 rsx

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ryan509 is an unknown quantity at this point
07 civic si vs 06 rsx

i am looking at getting one of these 2 cars. just wondering if anyone has any input or knowledge on them. any known problems with either? i know they both have similiar specs i like the rsx looks and interior (leather) better than the si. but i am worried about the aftermarket since they dont make the rsx anymore? any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 09-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 07 civic si vs 06 rsx

rsx still has tons of aftermarket. they both feel similar inside, but rsx is much nicer overall inside and out.
Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

Honda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really niceHonda05 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gearbox
rsx still has tons of aftermarket. they both feel similar inside, but rsx is much nicer overall inside and out.
i agree.. rsx is way better
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

ya i like the look and interior of the rsx better. i just wasnt sure if the aftermarket was still there since it isnt produced anymore i found a 2006 rsx type s with 13k miles for about 18k seems pretty decent to me but i still need to go drive it i drove a 2008 civic si and liked it i didnt like the placement of the shifter or how the mph is above the tach but those are minor things
Old 09-07-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

actually, technologically speaking, the SI is better. its got a drive by wire system, better brakes, better alot of things.....
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

ya but they are still very similiar in 0 to 60 skidpad 1/4 mile all that so really comes down to looks interior i guess i really dont think i could go wrong with either. just looking for some input on both cars
Old 09-07-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

better does not always mean better lol. you really need to drive both cars to get a feel for it. i know alot of people who wish drive by wire was never invented, myself included.
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

ya i have driven a 2008 civic si which i really loved i wish it had leather interior and thats about the only big problem i had i am looking for somewhat sporty and luxurious and these 2 are in my price range i still have yet to drive an rsx also if ¥ou get the k pro or hondata reflash does that change the vtec powerband? can you make the vtec kick in at lower rpms say like 5000k?

Last edited by ryan509; 09-07-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2009
Premium Member

the civic si also seems to have more mechanical issues from the tsbs ive seen and the problems posted here.
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

mgiangas1 can only hope to improve

si has lsd stock but i am fan of rsx myself
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

ya but the rsx still does around the same 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

DanielsSTEK is an unknown quantity at this point

go with the rsx (as long as it's a type s), they look better and I think they would be easier to work on... the civic's short little hood hides everything... I don't know, it isn't my favorite car
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

ya i am looking for a type s with low miles and in good condition found a couple with 13k and 20k on them now i just need to test drive
Old 09-08-2009
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

If your interested in good handling the SI will be easier to make fast because the stock caster is positive 7 degrees so you get a LOT more camber gain in the corners. The stock EM2/DC5 chassis is luckey to get 2 degrees and thats why people have to run so much static neg camber in the front to make them handle well and not understeer like a pig. Honestly I have a 7thgen civic and my gf has an 8thgen the suspension is MUCH improved. Also the RSX has about as many rattle problems as the 7thgen civic so even tho the materials are nicer the rattles make it feel a lot cheaper then the 8thgen vic.

DC5
+ Nicer Materials
- More Rattles
- No LSD
- Suspension Geometry

FG2
+ LSD
+ Suspension Geometry
- Cheaper Materials
+- May not like the dash at first but it will grow on you i promise LOL

Either way tho they will both be pretty trouble free and lots of fun
Old 09-09-2009
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

Am I one of the few that would take a SI over a RSX. I've driven both and I like the SI way better. I mean as far as the dash goes I love it so much I have a project going to put it in my 7th gen
Old 09-09-2009
Registered!!

ya about the only thing i would do performance wise to the car would probly be i/h/e and then everything else would be looks cause i drive around 50 miles roundtrip to work everyday. but like you say i really dont think i could go wrong with either car
Old 09-09-2009
Premium Member

no supercharger?
Old 09-10-2009
Registered!!

well i commute 50 miles to work everyday probly once i pay the car off in a couple years i will make it my project car and do more stuff to it but while its my only vehicle probly just i/h/e. would SC or turbo make the reliabilty of my engine worse? i mean if i ran conservative like 6 psi? also how long do turbo and or SC last?
Old 09-10-2009
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Both have thier issues but usually a s/c at lower boost pressure will be very reliable. I really like the JRSC and you can get over 250whp easily with them. Reliability usually comes down to the quality of the install. As long as you keep the boost somewhat low the engine wont care one way or the other, Its life is more dependant on how hard its used.
Old 09-10-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i think it depends on what you wanna do with the car. any type of road racing/autox id say go with the civic. i first hand have experienced the difference between 7th gen civic (same suspension as rsx) and a 8th gen civic (not si). me and my friends used to tear up some turns in the canyons. lets just say that if my friend was a more skilled driver he would have womped me in every category (braking, turn in, turn out, acceleration). i was behind him the whole time, seeing as how the car had much more room to be pushed to the limit, as i had to brake more and slow down because hes too slow . however, the rsx is a very nice straight line platform IMHO.

and driveby wire is trash. i believe the 05-06 rsx has drive by wire as well. i dont know exactly what it is but when i drove a 07civic si i hated the feel of it. something about when i let off the throttle the revolutions stay there for a good second. (for example im at 4k rpm and shift into neutral for a stop light, the engine will stay at 4k rpms for a little bit) makes driving a lot easier for the novice driver (ie heal toe, power shifting) but i believe it takes the thrill out of acquiring those skills that you worked so hard to perfect. all to be beat by the car itself, and not the driver. sooner or later racing will probably be machine vs machine rather than driver vs driver IMHO. a sad thing

Last edited by civicsrcool; 09-10-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2009
Registered!!

ya that is one of the downfalls i have heard alot of ppl say is that when you shift it stays at the rpm for a second or 2 i probly wont do any real racing maybe mess around with friends and what not i would rather have a kinda fast car that lasts 200k miles than a badass fast car that will last 100k miles
Old 09-10-2009
Premium Member

My buddies 8thgen SI has almost no rev hang between shifts. He said Honda had a PCM update that got rid of 90% of the issue. The only thing that annoys me about DBW (in other applications such as my RL) is it letting off the gas if there is any wheelspin. Sometimes its just fun to plant your foot and slide it haha. Other then that I think DBW is a good thing. It helps minimize transmission damage and shock loading. Same with a clutch delay valve thats used on a lot of cars now. They are all used to help maintain reliability when drivers decide to beat on the cars LOL.

Last edited by dopes6070; 09-10-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2009
Premium Member

good thing. the earlier 06 civics were almost not driveable to me. car felt so weak and the auto trans was sloppy and lagging like it was about to break. it took a second for the car to understand that i just pushed on the gas pedal. very annoying lol
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

ya i probly wouldnt sc or turbo the car for a while as they are expensive and i dont really want a street racing car lol i think i/h/e would be fine then do stuff like wing, bodykit, and interior work
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member

you could do the hondata reflash too which is alot more power for almost no difference in reliability (but you have to use premium gas). my brother has it for his 03 rsx base and it feels like a type-s.
Old 09-12-2009
Registered!!

now i heard that hondata is only good if you just plan to do intake and exhaust? i hear kpro is the way to go for i/h/e and any turbo/sc or internals what is the difference between kpro and hondata?
Old 09-12-2009
Premium Member

they are both hondata, the reflash is a one time ecu reprogram depending on what mods you tell them like i/h/e. you send your ecu, they reprogram it with new stuff.

the kpro is for turbo/sc and has full tuning capability like when you goto the dyno. ofcourse kpro is much more expensive.
Old 09-12-2009
Premium Member

they are both hondata, the reflash is a one time ecu reprogram depending on what mods you tell them like i/h/e. you send your ecu, they reprogram it with new stuff.

the kpro is for turbo/sc and has full tuning capability like when you goto the dyno. ofcourse kpro is much more expensive.
Old 09-12-2009
Registered!!

o so one is programmable like take it to a dyno/shop and they can keep reprogramming as you add stuff?
Old 09-12-2009
Premium Member

yeah kpro you can keep adjusting whenever you change something and have it dyno tuned. reflash you tell them your list of parts and they do it once for you with tested fuel curves. few boltons really dont affect it that much, but they prolly change it a bit than if you just were stock (which still gives great gains).

Quick Reply: 07 civic si vs 06 rsx