General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Idle Air Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RudeTattooed is an unknown quantity at this point
Idle Air Control Valve

What kind of work does replacing this involve? What kind of time frame/expense am I looking at?
Old 07-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Idle Air Control Valve

Not hard its on the throttle body just remove a few screws and two coolant hoses. Be careful not to strip the screws in the process they are kind of a bitch to get out sometimes.
Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RudeTattooed
What kind of work does replacing this involve? What kind of time frame/expense am I looking at?
Why are you replacing the IACV? So many people replace that without needing to. I was about to because my RPM was fluctuating and I was getting a code reading, but it turned out to by a coolant leak issue. I had a hole in my intake manifold coolant barb which I welded up. Another thing you have to do is clean the IACV with carb cleaner really well.

Don't touch the IACV adjust screw, which either has a rubber or plastic piece over it. But honestly, I have touched mine and I'm running at a steady 670 +-50 rpm these days with the original IACV. Still don't touch it unless all else has been considered.

You can use the old IACV rubber gasket, but you should put conventional motor oil around it and let it soak in.
Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

JREJ8 is an unknown quantity at this point

stupid easy just look at it.
Old 07-24-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JREJ8
Wtf?
Old 07-24-2009
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

^^ he's saying that the job is stupid-easy... just look at it.. very simple lol.. easy tiger
Old 07-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JREJ8
good job being a dick.

OP: yea make sure its your IAC thats bad. What code are you throwing, trying cleaning it with carbarator cleaner before replacing it.
Old 08-26-2013
Registered!!

gracielovesteak is an unknown quantity at this point

My mechanic advised me that I needed a new IACV. The idle was jumping from 1 to 2 so I took it for a diagnosis. The cost...$500. After reading other IACV posts I tried removing the Air Cleaner box but I'm having trouble identifying which screws to remove to enable me to lift the air cleaner box off. There is also a large clamp underneath the box that looks like it needs to be removed to get the box off, however, I can't access it. I'm posting a picture showing my 99 Civic LX engine. Can someone please shed light on how to get this box off the throttle. I think I've ID'd where the actual IACV. Thank YOU!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	13682
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	85618  
Old 08-26-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like a sensor connected to the right side that needs to be removed. There should also be a clamp that connects the air box to the throttle body... it's under the big plastic housing. Here's a diagram of how it is put on:

http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...n=&b=B++01&dl=

The IACV should look like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Control-Idle-Air-Control-Valve-Fit-For-Honda-Civic-1996-2000-1Pcs-/321191714451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item4ac8849e93&vxp=mtr#ht_3076wt_1003
Old 08-29-2013
Registered!!

gracielovesteak is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all figured out and repaired. Thank You