General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Should Civic return to the double wishbone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Should Civic return to the double wishbone?

All the opinions I've read seem to say that the switch from the double wishbone to the McPherson struts in front was a step backwards for the Civic. Supposedly the change was made to cut cost and increase the space in front to accomodate larger people. Perhaps larger people should buy larger cars, rather than dragging down something that was already good in the first place. With the 2003 Toyota Corolla getting great reviews, Honda is going to have a hard time in convincing objective buyers to choose the Civic over Corolla. The LE Corolla is similarly equipped to the Civic LX and is about $500 less. It also has a few things that Civic LX does not have such as a standard CD player and remote keyless entry, although Civic LX has the engine immobilizer and cruise control, so it may be a wash. I think that if Honda wants to stay competitive it may have to consider making the VTEC standard in at least the LX, if not the DX also, and return to the double wishbone suspension, and do this without a price increase, and possibly a slight price decrease.
Old 04-06-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
I don't think that's true. The people that are into civics will buy the Civics dude. Civic is a lot better known than a Carolla (IMO). They also look hecka better[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

As far as the thing with the suspension goes...deal with it like everyone else bucko.......
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
right on ! power to the people everything you said was great...now go say that to the head guys at Honda but for reals i totally agree.....
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
just because you like a civic doesnt mean you will buy it...there are factors like price and insurance....honda is the most stolen car... but there is a popularity thing going on against the Corolla.
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

ZZCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Arguments have been made for struts and the double wishbone. Some of the best handling cars ever made, like porches, use struts....and I think the 7th gen civ, handles very well with them. The ride is the main thing they were trying to improve, not to accomodate larger people. And for the most part Honda has done that. If ya really want that double wishbone, a lot more power, then there is the S2000 or the prelude for that matter. As for corollas, I dont know ANYthing bout them, and I dont really care to.
Old 04-06-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Actually for 2001, Toyota Camerys were the most stolen car...(the price that the parts are worth).

Honda's are right along up there with them but you gotta understand that Honda is VERY relyable, and a highly respected car company. It's not some new company....

Also insurance rates on Hondas are great (for "good" drivers [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] ).
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point
the wishbone concept was a huge step forward when it was introduced in the 80's. The system never had any major modifications done too it and over time it just became aged. Honda got rid of it because they didnt see too much more potential (too much R and D to get it goin i guess). The mac strut setup on the otherhand has evolved over time. I think honda is just using bad struts thats all.

RF Bwoy
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

I always thought that the double wishbone gave the best ride and was more durable, although it must cost a fortune in the event it was damaged due to stress or something like that. Struts seem like they would be easier to work on.
Old 04-06-2002
Mr. Negative
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
I think if you want to improve handling on a a stock Civic, Honda needs to dump those nasty Firestones. They cant handle for anything, and treadlife sucks.
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

2ndScratch is an unknown quantity at this point

<< just because you like a civic doesnt mean you will buy it...there are factors like price and insurance....honda is the most stolen car... but there is a popularity thing going on against the Corolla. >>

<< Actually for 2001, Toyota Camerys were the most stolen car...(the price that the parts are worth). >>

toyota camry's and honda accords were the most stolen cars of 2001 in the US.

They were also the most popular, go figure.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
The new suspension setup causes massive overstee, in a FF car thats the most horrendous thing that can happen to handling because there is no way to accomodate for the oversteer, (I.e. in FR cars u can let go of the gas a bit and it will auto correct) I think that the Double Wishbone shoulda gotten a makeover for the 7th gen and not be replaced by crappy *** cheap mac front, this is one of the things that upset me the most about the new civics, i love the engine, i love the tranny, i hate the suspension. And if you start putting strut and tie bars on the car to tighten up the chassis u will increase the oversteer problem even more...bleh...If you dont take my word for it try to take a 90 degree turn at 30 mph, massive *** oversteer, as opposed to understeer which is prevalent with FF cars.

IF YOU"RE READING THIS HONDA DONT MAKE ANY MORE CARS WITH MACPHERSON FRONT AND DOUBLE WISHBONE BACK, YOU SUCK AT IT!

-= n00b section =-

FF- Front engine, Front wheel drive
FR- Front engine, Rear wheel drive
Old 04-07-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah the double wishbone I liked, but I would have actually payed more to have it. I mean yeah it brought the price down, but I say have the option to have it on or not. But whatever

Nick
Old 04-07-2002
Registered!!

<< Yeah the double wishbone I liked, but I would have actually payed more to have it. I mean yeah it brought the price down, but I say have the option to have it on or not. But whatever

Nick
>>

And Honda thinks more about keeping their costs down, not so much on keeping the customer's prices down.
Old 04-07-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep exactly

Nick